Sport XC Today

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
Did my first 1.7 hours of dual cross-country today toward my SP license. Flight went well, hit the checkpoints on time, did okay with comms and with landings at two new airports. Wind was a bit stronger than reported, and I got a few miles too far south on the final leg, but I recognized a few landmarks and recovered okay.

I need to do one more short dual to hit the required hours, plus my solo XC. This has been a much longer project than I planned, but I'm making progress and enjoying the learning. I still need more practice on short field landings and crosswind landings. WX has been blowing me out lately, and today was the first time I've been able to fly in three weeks. Oh, well - I'll keep moving forward, one nautical mile (or maybe nautical foot) at a time.

Hang in there. Sounds like you're doing great. I know you mentioned it in another thread, but what are you flying? Got my SP in a Champ.

Hang in there. Sounds like you're doing great. I know you mentioned it in another thread, but what are you flying? Got my SP in a Champ.

I started in a Tecnam Bravo, and solo'd it, but then another student banged up the tail on a checkride and I had to switch over to a Tecnam Eaglet. Took a few hours to get comfortable in the Eaglet (the flaps are less effective than in the Bravo, and the darn things want to float forever if you try landing any faster than 60 knots) and solo it. At least now I can fly either one.

How'd you like the Champ? I saw a beautiful Chief at SnF this year. They look like fun, but at the rate I'm going learning tailwheel would probably take another 200 hours.

WX has been blowing me out lately, and today was the first time I've been able to fly in three weeks.
Sounds like you are doing well, stay on top of your game inactive times can be frustrating. Weather lousy the past few weekends here as well. Hopefully I can get up next week. Have fun and fly safe..:)

Tecnams are nice. Nothing like that around here for training. The Champ is a sweet-handling plane, but a little on the slow side. It's great for getting a tailwheel endorsement when the time comes. Just look for one with a C85 or O-200 engine.

You'll get there, hang tight. You're a pilot in the making! :)

We've been joking that the most accurate way to get a local wind forecast is to call up the flight school and see when I'm scheduled to fly. You can be reasonably sure (seems to run about 80% confidence) that winds will be good the day before and the day after, but on my day there will be at least 20 knots of gusting crosswind.

We've been joking that the most accurate way to get a local wind forecast is to call up the flight school and see when I'm scheduled to fly. You can be reasonably sure (seems to run about 80% confidence) that winds will be good the day before and the day after, but on my day there will be at least 20 knots of gusting crosswind.

I get it. Some don't.

Step by step, inch by inch, dollar by dollar,...

Planning to be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks, Eddie. You going to be around?

You flying out of x04?

Will do, Eddie. Haven't decided whether to bring the bike yet.

Yes, Salty, X04. The "X" stands fo x-winds, I believe...

Back