Sport vs Recreation Pilot

aanderson81

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
aanderson81
In the perpetual student thread (see also weekend troll thread) the Recreation Pilot certificate was mentioned. I knew it existed and figured it was just a slightly more limited Sport Pilot, but reading it it does appear to have slightly less restrictions on aircraft. With this said, is it possible to hold both a Recreation and Sport pilot certificate? Say you wanted to be able to use planes that fall outside the LSA limits, but were OK with the imposed restrictions of the recreation pilot?

Or does obtaining a cert invalidate the previous cert?

Not sure how practical it would be, but sounds like an interesting idea if you are a sport pilot but occasionally wants to use another aircraft for $100 hamburger runs

Actually my next question is does the recreation pilot require medical? Wiki makes it sound like it does not, but after a few moments of googling it sounds like it may. That obviously would be the part that would put a wrinkle in my previous statement

A private pilot can exercise the privileges of a lower ticket without actually having the lower certificate. So if a Sport Pilot were to get additional training and a medical and upgrade to a private pilot. The sport pilot rating doesn't go away, it's included in the higher certificate. I'm not sure which is the higher certificate between Sport and Recreational.

A private pilot can exercise the privileges of a lower ticket without actually having the lower certificate. So if a Sport Pilot were to get additional training and a medical and upgrade to a private pilot. The sport pilot rating doesn't go away, it's included in the higher certificate. I'm not sure which is the higher certificate between Sport and Recreational.

I knew that in regard to Private to Sport, but I didn't see anything in my (very short) search on it in regards to which is the "higher" certificate.

I was reading an article that the Recreation cert has been neglected which is too bad since it's actually a great stepping towards Private. Whereas Sport requires Sport aircraft, Recreation pilots can fly Cessna 172s and Cherokees and can carry one passenger. The main limitations are no more than 50nm meaning it's a "put around the sky" certificate. For many folks, however, this is a fine limitation, even with Private Pilot cert.

Also, for people who have a hard time finding the time to get all the way to Private, you can get a Recreational certificate with 2/3 of the flight time and less intensive knowledge testing I believe. It definitely seems to be more of a Student+ certificate which more people with busy schedules should take advantage of.

I maybe wrong but I believe there is medical requirements for recreational .

Sport eliminates the need for a medical ,and doesn't limit you to 50 miles. Problem is ,there are not that many lsa aircraft around for rent.

Actually my next question is does the recreation pilot require medical? Wiki makes it sound like it does not, but after a few moments of googling it sounds like it may. That obviously would be the part that would put a wrinkle in my previous statement

Google? How about looking at the relevant FARs? 61.303 specifically.

Bob Gardner

Does a recreational pilot have the 50 NM restriction when flying a LSA? And if a recreational pilot gets a sport pilot certificate are they limited to 50 NM when using their recreational privileges?

Does a recreational pilot have the 50 NM restriction when flying a LSA? And if a recreational pilot gets a sport pilot certificate are they limited to 50 NM when using their recreational privileges?

Use the following table to determine what operating limits and endorsement requirements in this subpart, if any, apply to you when you operate a light-sport aircraft. The medical certificate specified in this table must be in compliance with §61.2 in regards to currency and validity. If you hold a recreational pilot certificate, but not a medical certificate, you must comply with cross country requirements in §61.101 (c), even if your flight does not exceed 50 nautical miles from your departure airport. You must also comply with requirements in other subparts of this part that apply to your certificate and the operation you conduct.

Back