Sport vs. PPL

Ok, I quit reading all the fighting and here is MY opinion.

Get the private if you can afford it and pass a medical.

Sure you may never need more than two seats, faster than 120kts, over 10,000ft or night flying, but why deny yourself the tools?

That said I fully expect to be puttering around in an LSA at some point in the future, but for now I enjoy taking my fiancé and another couple to put in bay, I look forward to flying as a family when we have kids, and much of he best flying is at night.

Even if you only fly around for fun here is a great reason to get a private, picture yourself working 9-5, its a clear day in late December, you have had a crappy day at work and want to relieve some stress by going flying. However as a SP you can't because by the time you get to the airport, preflight and start the plane it's dark.

CnS was just explaining to us how blind we are to the reality of how pathetic old planes are. I agree we are blind to it. One only needs to put an ancient relic like a Staggerwing beside a new Sporty LSA to open their eyes and see just how pathetic old the old planes are in comparison to the Sporty new LSAs. :D

Old classics are a tiny outlier, 40 year old Cessna and Beechcraft tincan garbage is the junk pilots are blind to.

Old classics are a tiny outlier, 40 year old Cessna and Beechcraft tincan garbage is the junk pilots are blind to.

I do not see where there is even an argument. It is like cake vs. ice cream.

I am perfectly happy to fly a 40-year-old steam gauge Piper or Cessna, or a 70-year-old somewhat tatty Luscombe provided everything works as it should and it is doesn't smell like mold inside.

I also enjoyed flying the low-time CTLS with glass, 696, XM weather, XM radio, BRS, etc.

So I like cake and ice cream. Sometimes together.

But I have friends that were flying the CTLS that have zero interest in the others even though they have a PPL. They want something shiny and the LSA combines shiny and cost-effective. Jumping to a shiny G1000 172 or the like is apparently something they cannot justify financially.

So money if a factor, also.

Again, my advice is fly what you like and can afford but fly, dammit.

BTW, I would love to fly either of those airplanes but one is within my reach and one is not. And if I could afford both, why would I not have both. There is really no argument, simply the calculus of personal preference and resources.

I think sport pilot would be a lot better if the cfi requirements and training were the same track as ppl.. I'm speaking in the sense of using a traditional cfi and doing ppl requirements so you waste little if you choose to step up. Having cfi sport that can't credit to ppl just seems wrong.. people in the know, know this route but it appears some places may like the double dip for revenue sake.

I think sport pilot would be a lot better if the cfi requirements and training were the same track as ppl.. I'm speaking in the sense of using a traditional cfi and doing ppl requirements so you waste little if you choose to step up. Having cfi sport that can't credit to ppl just seems wrong.. people in the know, know this route but it appears some places may like the double dip for revenue sake.

I'm trying to fathom the reasoning behind SPL students being held to the same standards but discriminating against the teacher when one wants to move on beyond SPL.

Remember, there was a time when you couldn't give an old staggerwing away.

Which high road are you taking again?

Last edited:
I'm trying to fathom the reasoning behind SPL students being held to the same standards but discriminating against the teacher when one wants to move on beyond SPL.

Probably to stop the pilot mills from making 100 hour sp instructors. Then charging them to train other wannabe pros, who are also paying, to sp while working on their 'real' ratings. You could set up a nice double dipping tuition scheme with SJS drool jockeys.
Or it is just arrogance, those lightweight sp instructors haven't jumped enough flaming hoops to be 'real' pilot instructors as per some old codger's standards, so their instruction can't count.

Note the rate it bit on the article 40% positive 60% negative. Sounds familar, I think it is easier looking back from the far side of the PPL to suggest it, wonder how many students drop out pre pp, at a point past where they would have gotten sp?

Note the rate it bit on the article 40% positive 60% negative. Sounds familar, I think it is easier looking back from the far side of the PPL to suggest it, wonder how many students drop out pre pp, at a point past where they would have gotten sp?

Few, most seem to drop at around the solo in my limited observations, also he works for Sportys, the nearly exclusive home of the rec cert, and they make you earn the rec during 141 private training, costing an estimated $8700:yikes:

Then you spend another $3300 to get your private:yikes::yikes:

Last edited:
Definately $ padding options in 141 programs having students pick off the mini ratings first.

Back