Sport vs. PPL Knowledge Test

Razorback19D

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Razorback19D
Hello everyone,

What a great forum this is! The wealth of knowledge is priceless!

If I am working on my Sport Pilot License, can I take the Private Pilot Knowledge Test and satisfy the written test requirement for the Sport Pilot License? I’ve had trouble finding out if it’s allowed or not. Even if it was allowed, I suppose if I didn’t go for my PPL within 2 years, my passing score would expire anyway, wouldn’t it? I’m just trying to leave some options open down the road in case my intentions change.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If you’re going for a Sport Pilot certificate, than you need to take the Sport Pilot Knowledge test. The Private Knowledge Exam will cover a few subject areas that won’t apply to a Sport Pilot.

Keep in mind, that a Sport Pilot is quite limited with what he or she can do, especially when it comes to aircraft. If you have the resources to spring for a PPL, than I’d go that route.

The exam is very similar ( with the PP having a few more topics to cover ) but since the SP cert has some unique limitations which are part of the exam , you can’t substitude one or another.

The bottom line is that if you can pass medical,you should go for the PP cert - there is not much difference in terms of cost and what you need to learn but you end up with much greater options later on.

To me , the SP cert limitations are quite artificial and only exists to differentiate it from the PP cert -you still have to learn how fly a plane , which is the hard part, just as hard regardless of which cert you going for, but with the PP cert you are not stuck with pointless limitations.

Back