Sport Trainer extensive repair questions....

Bell206

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Bell206
Outside my zone and looking for input...

A flying Wag-Aero Sport Trainer was heavily damaged in a hurricane when the hangar disappeared. Few of the major assemblies and parts are repairable. However I happen to have a pile of J3 parts to include a fuselage. The questions:

1) Can I repair the Trainer using the J3 parts to include the fuselage assembly?
2) Can I alter some of the Trainer systems with the J3 systems, i.e., horizontal stab trim system?
3) If I use the J3 parts would I need to go back to Phase 1 and get a DAR involved?

Any other input would be appreciated.

If the J-3 fuselage is identical or close, it could be considered a major repair using used parts, so nothing but a logbook entry. "Fuselage frame replaced with good used parts." A major repair doesn't require a return to phase 1.

However, a "major change" does. According to FAR 21.93, “a‘minor change’ is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are ‘major changes’”. You will have to decide for yourself whether the changes you're considering constitute a major or minor change.

If you decide it's a major change, then it depends on the wording (age) of the aircraft's operating limitations. Some (usually older ones) say "any major change invalidates the airworthiness certificate". The current language just makes you notify the FSDO and put it back into phase 1 for (usually) 5 hours.

If you have the old language it can be updated; to do so you have to apply to the FSDO for a new airworthiness certificate. Either way, no DAR is needed and the FSDO probably won't want to inspect the plane unless they're bored and want a day out of the office. I've gone through that twice; the first time I met the FSDO guy in the FBO and exchanged paperwork, he didn't want to look at the plane. The second time, two guys came and wanted to look at the plane (a quick look, not an inspection) so the older guy could show the new guy what an experimental looked like. Both times, it was painless.

Pretty sure this is an experimental. If so, the only issue is going back into Phase 1 after you've made the changes.

If you have the old language it can be updated; to do so you have to apply to the FSDO for a new airworthiness certificate.
We have the Ops Limits but don't know if new or old style. Was there a specific year it changed?
And just for discussion, if we didn't have the Ops Limits hard copy but had the AWC, Reg, etc. would I need to apply for a new AWC as well?

You have to have a copy of the op limits in the plane; they constitute part of the airworthiness certificate. You should be able to get a copy from the FAA.

They've used different wordings ones the years, you have to look at yours to see what you have.

You should be able to get a copy from the FAA.
Can I get a copy at any FSDO or would I need to contact the issuing Ops Limit FSDO?
The E/E and R&D AWCs I've dealt with required we contact only the issuer for any OL revisions. I believe this Sport Trainer started life in a different state.

I would start with the local FSDO, you'll have to work with them anyway if you're going to change them. Or you can order the aircraft data CD from Oklahoma City and print it yourself.

When I did it, the local FSDO gave me a copy even thought they were originally issued elsewhere.

Back