Sport to private...

Didn't go that route. Looked into it.

If the light sport training was from a light sport CFI then you're starting over in terms of training. Of course it should go quickly. A third class medical will also be needed...

I helped a friend earn his private certificate after he had previously earned a sport pilot certificate. The big question is who did your original training? If it was a normal CFI the previous training time counts toward the dual instruction required. If it was done by a sport CFI it does not. Solo time is solo time, so you can knock out the solo requirements at your leisure if you haven't already.

Since my friend's previous training was done by a regular CFI, all we had to do was the missing requirements. In his case that was mainly the instrument time and night flight. He did have to take a few laps around a towered airport solo to meet that requirement as well. Then it was just prepping him to take the checkride.

All my training was with a regular CFI. The biggest hurdle will be getting checked out in something suitable for the practical.

All my training was with a regular CFI. The biggest hurdle will be getting checked out in something suitable for the practical.
The practical can be in an LSA if it has the required equipment.

I don't really see the purpose of the SP rating anymore. The Basic Med is facile, and with it you can fly just about anything, rather than relegating yourself to toy airplanes or a set number of antiques.

I don't really see the purpose of the SP rating anymore. The Basic Med is facile, and with it you can fly just about anything, rather than relegating yourself to toy airplanes or a set number of antiques.
Yea, well that is assuming you can get that one 3rd class to get the basic med rolling.

Back