Sport Pilot Volunteer

QuiQuog

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo Djoe
Would a pilot operating under sport pilot rules be able to fly missions as a volunteer, such as Pilots n Paws? I know Angel Flight has a minimum requirement of Private, are any such missions available to sport pilots?

To my knowledge, there are no restrictions on which pilots may volunteer for animal rescue flights.

Pilot and Paws, Young Eagles (although Boy Scout Young Eagles require PPL), and I suppose other volunteer flights such as flying an observer over some sort of disaster so a church group or other service group could respond would also be ok.

61.315 What are the privileges and limits of my sport pilot certificate?
(c) You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:
(10) In a passenger-carrying airlift sponsored by a charitable organization.

is a dog considered a "passenger"?

Pilots N Paws has no requirements. In fact, you could probably fly a PNP mission as a student pilot with the correct cross country endorsement from an instructor.

Animals are legally considered property, not passengers.

Humanitarian flights and young eagles aren't what the FAA characterizes as "passenger carrying airlifts." Those describe operations where the public is carried (usually in exchange for a donation to the charity).

Sport Pilots can fly Young Eagles.

Humanitarian flights and young eagles aren't what the FAA characterizes as "passenger carrying airlifts." Those describe operations where the public is carried (usually in exchange for a donation to the charity).
Always with money involved. No money or other compensation, no 91.146 rules applicable.

Requirements from the Young Eagles web site since it was mentioned:

• Appropriate Airmen's Certificate (Sport Pilot or higher)
  • Current Medical Certificate (if applicable)
  • EAA National Membership
  • 90-day currency in aircraft used
  • Current Flight Review

Of course, you just can't do anything that your standard sport pilot limitations prevent you from doing (like flying more than one young eagle passenger, for example).

Dogs and cats, no problem. Unless they're flying together. That's just crazy.

Back