Sport Pilot Training - Texas

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
A friend of mine has asked me to help him find places in Texas that offer sport pilot training. He lives between Austin and San Antonio. My searches on the net have come up pretty empty. I've found some out of date ultralight training websites, but not much about sport pilot training. Does anyone know if there is anywhere in Central - South Central Texas that offers Sport Pilot training, and is there ANYWHERE in this state that has LSA aircraft for rent?

Lisa, there's an ultralight strip up near Bracken (south of New Braunfels). I think it's called Ultralight USA.

I don't know anything about them, other than I've been by the entrance on my bicycle.

I think they're mostly into flying lawn furniture, but it might be worth a call to see if they know of anybody....

Thanks Bill. I'll pass on the info. I found their website, but it hasn't been updated since 2004, so I wondered if they were still around.

I also suggested he contact EAA. I found an EAA chapter in Austin, but it too doesn't look like it's very active. Seems like New Braunfels is the closest one that has any activity at all.. at least based on my Google searches.

ausrere said:
Thanks Bill. I'll pass on the info. I found their website, but it hasn't been updated since 2004, so I wondered if they were still around.

I also suggested he contact EAA. I found an EAA chapter in Austin, but it too doesn't look like it's very active. Seems like New Braunfels is the closest one that has any activity at all.. at least based on my Google searches.

I think New Braunels is one of the more active EAA chapters. San Antonio essentially ran 'em off when they started strict enforcement of the rules at Stinson against building airplanes.

Look for tail dragger instructors. Many of those people are probably flying a LSA plane without even knowing it. I think your best bet will be with somebody flying an old cub or aeronca. Probably wouldn't take much to convince them to do an LSA program, I don't think it requires much extra compared to a CFI.

Back