Sport Pilot training for larger pilot

DavidATL

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SportATL
I'm looking for my options to get a Sport Pilot certificate as a larger pilot (6'5", 270lbs)

I've checked W&B to receive dual on a few LSA aircraft and most of them look like it would be cutting it extremely close. Skycatcher is definitely out.. RV12 might work?

Anyone know of a CFI/school that would be able to accommodate me? I'm willing to travel anywhere in the country for an accelerated program but something near my home of Atlanta would be great.

I already have just over 40 hours in a C172 but have not yet soloed.

Here's a link to a fella in Glendale AZ that has an interesting story, and seems willing to accommodate.
https://lightsportman.com/
I have no affiliation with him or his business, just someone I have also considered. You also might try posting on sportpilottalk.com. These are the Go-To folks for all issues regarding Sport Pilot training. Good luck!

Lockwood Aviation down in Florida? Just curious, why SP?

Close is good enough. I assume you are looking for a 170ish pound CFI...

Lighter would be better. I’m about 162, my DPE was similar to the size of the OP. As I recall, we could only use about half fuel in the Tecnam Echo, good for about 2 hours max. OP, seek out a skinny young kid for your CFI.

Check out Chesapeake Sport Pilot in
Stevensville, MD(W29). It's about an hour's drive east of DC and just outside the SFRA.
They have several types of LSAs and several instructors.

Hmmm.... LSA seems to be creating a market for light instructors. Maybe Chesapeake and First Landings and other LSA flight schools could list instructor weights on their websites.

Back