Sport Pilot to Private Checkride

kbrown66

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kbrown66
I am a current Sport Pilot with approx. 100 hrs. I am working on completing the required dual time required for my Private Pilot Certificate. I have just at 4.5 hrs or required dual time remaining. I plan on using that time for checkride prep since I've completed all the other requirements. Since I used a CFI-S for my sport training, I'm required to have 20 hrs dual with a CFI. What I'm really curious about is what I should expect on my actual checkride with the examiner. Will I be given an abbreviated checkride (the differences), or will I likely have to endure a complete oral review and practical flight (similiar to my sport pilot checkride)? I am comfortable with the required material, just wondering how most are handled since there is not much different (night flying, VOR Navigation, etc). My SP checkride (oral/flight) lasted over 5 hrs and I had an FAA Inspector evaluating the DPE during the oral portion, so I know that was covered in detail. I've heard of these types of upgrades happening both ways.

The ACS does not have a Sport to Private pilot section in the Additional Ratings table section, so basically the DPE will probably be required to treat it as a new Private rating. But the 'depth of probing' on the oral, and flight tasks will be up to the DPE. Have a conversation with him/her.

Back