Sport Pilot School in Southern WI?

Vincent Becker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
vinnybecker
Looks like Racine Sport Flyers is permanently closed and looking for an alternative.

Anyone have recommendations? Everything in the area looks to be private only other than Cub Air Flight. Would prefer something more high tech than the Cub, but obviously will be happy with whatever I can get.

More high tech to learn in or more high tech to fly?
High tech won't help you learn to fly much. Easy enough to get the basics in a Cub and then go for the fancy stuff.

What are your plans for after you get your ticket? If there is nothing to rent...

More high tech to fly. My mission is to cut down on the drive to the cabin from 6 hours to only a few. Essentially a lot of cruising and having autopilot would be great.

Considering just buying a FlightDesign CT and finding a CFI that's willing to train me for my sport ticket. Is this preferable? Unfortunately the closure of the flight school really makes it difficult to find a readily accessible sport pilot school. It was so convenient and these other ones are too far (hours vs. minutes).

Curious - where did their planes go? Can you follow up there? If in the area (maybe still at RAC?) and the CFIs is likely still nearby?

LSA rental is tough in this Area. The guys at AeroSport at Galt (Wonder Lake IL) are awesome (separate from the main flight school at Galt - who are also good peops but not LSA).

Cub Air at Hartford, if that is close for you, is AWESOME! Steve Krog is a really well know, respected and long time tailwheel instructor and flight school operator. He's active at EAA too (board member maybe or something?)

If you have an opportunity to train there I would give it a try despite the lack of avionics. You'll be able to tell everyone you trained in a j-3!!!! Easy transition from tailwheel to tricycle gear (not the other way around).

My $0.02. At least get to solo before you consider buying. If you want modern, the Sling at 10C is as modern as the CTLS.

Where is the CTLS dealer near here? There's a Remos at 06C giving LSA training too but that's further (ARR has SimplyFly too- even further though).

My airport is on the same frequency as Schaumburg (123.0) - I keep hearing a Remos plane in their pattern all the time, I though it was just some private dude flying out of there or perhaps SimplyFly doing their training there ( albeit they always fly at Aurora ) - are you saying there is another LSA flight school at 06C ?

Back