Sport Pilot "one of the worst things to happen to GA"?

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
Personally I think the "sport pilot" idea ("Let's let people fly with LESS training!") and all that went along with it is one of the worse things to happen to general aviation along the continued tolerance of homebuilt aircraft and ultralights. Suffice to say I believe in increasing standards, not skirting the bare minimum.
I agree that the thread in which this appeared should not be hijacked, but I also believe this is a discussion that needs to happen. As you might guess, I'm rather on the other side of the coin: I'm a private pilot flying an LSA under the sport pilot rule due to medical issues that, while probably not preventing me from getting a special issuance medical, do make it a less than certain thing; I'm not going to risk having my new airplane sit on the ground unused because I can't fly it any more.

I haven't really decided what I think about the sport pilot certificate itself and its training. I do think that, unless we make it easier for folks to get into aviation, they're not going to do it. I also don't have much of an opinion about Part 103-compliant ultralights; OTOH, I do think that the so-called "fat ultralights" did need to either be brought into compliance with the rules or grounded.

I do, however, think that the whole idea of allowing people to fly on the same medical qualifications as a driver's license is long overdue, and too limited. I've been told that SP is a testbed for greatly relaxing or eliminating the third class medical requirements, and I'm all for that. I see no particular reason that someone who can drive safely cannot fly safely. For that matter, I'd support allowing someone to exercise the privileges of a private ticket - with instrument rating, if applicable to the pilot and aircraft - on their driver's license. (Of course I would. :) )

The whole point of an LSA is that it's a simple enough aircraft that a pilot with less training can operate it safely. Both the certificated aircraft that qualify, and the new-construction LSAs purpose built for the class, are simple, straightforward aircraft that are easily mastered. It is possible to equip them to a high standard of capability (as mine is), but that's certainly not necessary, and I don't use mine to the limit of its capabilities.

Finally, I'm curious about your "continued tolerance of homebuilts" line. Is there anything to this? I would expect that homebuilt aircraft are, in general, no less safe than factory-built aircraft. (Ron W? Got numbers to back this conjecture up?)

We need to bring aviation to more people, rather than keeping it an activity for the elite. The Sport Pilot rule is an important step in this direction.

I do, however, think that the whole idea of allowing people to fly on the same medical qualifications as a driver's license is long overdue, and too limited.
I think the medical qualifications need to be more stringent, not less but you probably don't want to hear that. I think the consideration for a wide margin of safety trumps the possible heartbreak of someone having to sell their plane. It's better to mourn the loss of your plane than to have your family mourn the loss of you.

I do think that, unless we make it easier for folks to get into aviation, they're not going to do it.
No offense, but since when did this become a "the more the merrier" sort of affair? Either you can meet the standards or you can't. End of story.

I would expect that homebuilt aircraft are, in general, no less safe than factory-built aircraft.
Well, it really is more of a "corporate culture" than anything else that alarms me, not to mention the relative lack of oversight. Just because you CAN build a plane, doesn't mean you should. Especially giving a low hour pilot the controls of a plane that is often marketed to be fast, sport and maneuverable is asking for problems, especially if you make exceptions to allow them to be flown by the new "sport" pilot.

I honestly don't believe at this point that there is something wrong with the major homebuilt designs themselves, but I think something is rotten in Denmark and it is with the actions of the pilots in many cases. I think there may be a mindset problem with homebuilt/experimental aircraft pilots similar to something the NTSB termed "bush syndrome". You have to have a certain degree of cocksureness about yourself to build a plane and I wonder if that transfers to a "right stuff" mentality among pilots who simply lack that stuff.

We need to bring aviation to more people, rather than keeping it an activity for the elite. The Sport Pilot rule is an important step in this direction.
No offense, but I don't view aviation as an activity for the elite. You're talking to a 27 year old kid who grew up really poor (and still relies on financial aid to pay for school) and scrapes and saves to be able to learn to fly. It should be something to be achieved, not just the next step in the "Gimme, gimme" attitude that is pervasive in this nation. Not everything should be open to anyone simply because they have a pulse and a rectal temp above room temperature. Reducing the hours required and commensurately the quality and quantity of training is not a good way to improve safety since it has been show that safety increases (for the most part) with the amount of time one spends at the controls. Also the reduction in weight most likely comes at the expense of things that are needed to give one a fighting chance at surviving a crash (structural integrity of the cabin, strong fuel tanks, etc).

Making it so that Bubba Q. Redneck can fly a modern version of a Piper Cub out of the back 40 is simply a way to instill overconfidence and revert us back to the "good ol' days" of GA where plane crashes were a more frequent occurence. You can't write regulations with the assumption that everyone will comply or even be smart enough to comply. You can, but it's not a good idea. If you want to be proactive, you need to write the regulations to keep people from having access to things that can hurt or kill them (or more importantly, others). No offense, but the idea of sharing the skies with some doofus who thinks he's Chuck Yeager because he has his little Cessna LSA is something that does not thrill me in the slightest.

I'll just say I disagree with Steve. We'll have to see how the LSA/sport pilot safety record develops over time. I know that the quality of instruction here in the LSA school nearby (Washington DC, Chesapeake Sport Pilot) is top notch, and the curriculum spends comparitively more time on fundamentals than the private pilot - specifically because the sport pilot privileges are limited.

What kills pilots?
Kinetic Energy, mostly. (90+%)
Smoke/Fire (5%)
Wives (1%)
All others (3+%)

Seriously, what generally causes an accident in GA is pilot error - what usually makes that accident fatal is either a failure to maintain control of the airplane, or CFIT.

Seriously, what generally causes an accident in GA is pilot error - what usually makes that accident fatal is either a failure to maintain control of the airplane, or CFIT.

And how does the medical certification process relate to that fact?

(for the record I should have asked "what kills passengers and those on the ground", because I believe that is on the forefront of the FAA's worries, not the health and lifespan of pilots.)

Medical incapacitation is not a significant cause of GA fatalities - at least until poor decision-making becomes a treatable disease.

I'm not sure what your point is. The forefront of FAA's worries is NOT medical issues. Or maybe that's your point.

I think the consideration for a wide margin of safety trumps the possible heartbreak of someone having to sell their plane. It's better to mourn the loss of your plane than to have your family mourn the loss of you.

Well, it really is more of a "corporate culture" than anything else that alarms me, not to mention the relative lack of oversight. Just because you CAN build a plane, doesn't mean you should. Especially giving a low hour pilot the controls of a plane that is often marketed to be fast, sport and maneuverable is asking for problems, especially if you make exceptions to allow them to be flown by the new "sport" pilot.

No offense, but the idea of sharing the skies with some doofus who thinks he's Chuck Yeager because he has his little Cessna LSA is something that does not thrill me in the slightest.

I think anyone should have the right to go out an get themselves killed in a way that pleases them. I personally don't want to share the sky with anyone, but I have to. Look around you when you're at the FBO, do you see America's brain trust surrounding you? Yeah, thought so, so feel very confident that you are already flying through the sky with doofii thinking they are Chuck Yeager. Trust me, if I set the standards for who should be flying, I'd be able to find a way to exclude you as well.

oh - wait a second, Barney - you have to share an opinion, given your experience.

Have you found that the LSA pilots are keeling over, or that LSA pilots are not flying well, or that the airplanes are not air or crashworthy?

I'm not trying to be contentious - I really want to know what you've observed.

I think anyone should have the right to go out an get themselves killed in a way that pleases them. I personally don't want to share the sky with anyone, but I have to. Look around you when you're at the FBO, do you see America's brain trust surrounding you? Yeah, thought so, so feel very confident that you are already flying through the sky with doofii thinking they are Chuck Yeager. Trust me, if I set the standards for who should be flying, I'd be able to find a way to exclude you as well.

We need an "Amen, Brother!" smilie, but until then this will have to do.:yes:

The forefront of FAA's worries is NOT medical issues. Or maybe that's your point.

I think that the FAA is trapped in a quagmire of their own making, reinforced by a couple of politico (SIC) AH's who are in the point scoring business. So yes, I think it is one of the FAA's worries. Whether it SHOULD be is a matter that deserves serious debate.

I too have responded to numerous aircraft accidents over the years and been party to the investigation of more than one. Read the database. Stoopid is not assessed in the medical exam and yet that is what is killing people. Twenty hours or forty hours - what is the difference? New pilots may have accidents but they are mostly bruising metal. They are not the ones killing their passengers or themselves. What needs to be learned is either present before training ever begins, or takes many more hours than primary training can reasonably provide.

Last edited:
Huh - looking at the 9 responsibilities, it's hard to imagine an accident that doesn't affect one of them. For those who, like me, wondered what they were, I found:

Performance of FAA facilities
Non-FAA ATC facilities
Airworthiness of aircraft
Competency of airmen, air carriers
Adequacy of FAR’s
Airport certification standards
Airport security standards
Airman medical qualifications
Violation of FAR’s

I think that the FAA is trapped in a quagmire of their own making, reinforced by a couple of politico (SIC) AH's who are in the point scoring business. So yes, I think it is one of the FAA's worries. Whether it SHOULD be is a matter that deserves serious debate.

I too have responded to numerous aircraft accidents over the years and been party to the investigation of more than one. Read the database. Stoopid is not assessed in the medical exam and yet that is what is killing people. Twenty hours or forty hours - what is the difference? New pilots may have accidents but they are mostly bruising metal. They are not the ones killing their passengers or themselves. What needs to be learned is either present before training ever begins, or takes many more hours than primary training can reasonably provide.

I agree - what I've been getting from my FAASTeam participation is that ADM is really being stressed. We seem to be turning out pilots when we should be turning out aviators, or captains. What I find missing from many pilots is not stick and rudder skills, but the sort of awareness and acceptance of the responsibilities placed on the pilot in command. But to be honest, it's missing from driver education, and its REALLY missing from boater education (power squadron is pretty good, but there's practically NO requirement for even fundamental seamanship training).

I'm looking forward to taking my fiancee up for her first flight. Of course, I will never take her up in any of the LSAs (since I won't fly in them myself) but still her first flight is something I look forward to.
Since you won't even fly an LSA yourself it must be something about the quality of the construction that bothers you since I assume you have a medical and are comfortable with your own skills and judgment. I would be interesting in hearing what it is about the actual airplanes that you don't like.

I find this discussion really good. When I learned to fly my instructor learned in 1921 and there was no FAA or even a CAA then. It was not until and please correct me if I am wrong until 1926 when the CAA came along with standardize trainging and license requirements. they really did not change over the years. I began my training under the last year of CAA and yes there were modifications when the FAA arrived. At the airport where I worked if one did not solo beyond 15 hours that person was considered a "Wash Out" The planes were basic Stick and Rudder planes;Cubs Champs T-crafts Luscombes culver cadets, Ercoupes etc. and none or very few had radios etc..

The sport pilot Class is really the first major license that has come out in many years that I can remember that really allows people to learn to fly or those that just want to enjoy flying low and slow. I remember when the FAA lowered the hours for an instrument rating and wow the out cry was amazing. Maybe with time we will as pilots fine tune the LSA rules. It is just a begining that may help get kids to fly who other wise can't afford it.

Thank you

John J

>I think the medical qualifications need to be more stringent, not less

why? At what point are things safe enough?

The NTSB determines the cause

Not to hijack the thread but that one made me laugh out loud.

I have personal knowledge of two "final reports" that contain very little if any factual information about the actual cause of the crash.

If you're a nobody like me and play "lawn dart" with your airplane then the final report will probably be pretty factual.

But, if you're politically powerful and great friends with a congressman whose son used to be on the NTSB board then...

...not so much.

By the way, I'm with Jay and Tim and Henning on this topic. Flying should not be over-regulated just like so many other things in our society should not be.

Last edited:
Why don't I stay out of these?

I think the medical qualifications need to be more stringent, not less but you probably don't want to hear that.

On what factual evidence do you base your opinion?

I think the consideration for a wide margin of safety trumps the possible heartbreak of someone having to sell their plane.

An ever greater margin of safety for the masses is easily gained by the reduction of freedoms of a few. Is that what you are asking for?

No offense, but since when did this become a "the more the merrier" sort of affair? Either you can meet the standards or you can't. End of story.

Since I, and many others, truly enjoy having a place to land. And having FBO's there to service my needs. And having mechanics to service the planes. And having CFII's to help with my next rating. More pilots keep the industry alive.

It is a "more the merrier" sort of affair, if you aren't able to factually or logically demonstrate that those excluded would unacceptably increase whatever burden you see them creating.

Oversight = DAR
Can build a plane = how about you let ME decide my life's course
low hour pilot... asking for problems = again, life would be safer if none of us flew.

I honestly don't believe at this point that there is something wrong with the major homebuilt designs themselves, but I think something is rotten in Denmark and it is with the actions of the pilots in many cases. I think there may be a mindset problem with homebuilt/experimental aircraft pilots similar to something the NTSB termed "bush syndrome". You have to have a certain degree of cocksureness about yourself to build a plane and I wonder if that transfers to a "right stuff" mentality among pilots who simply lack that stuff.

I've READ a bunch on the forums about (RV's esp) experimental pilots being brash. However, every one I've MET, has been capable, careful, and certainly superior to myself in the piloting, and assuring the airworthiness of their aircraft.

No offense, but I don't view aviation as an activity for the elite. You're talking to a 27 year old kid who grew up really poor (and still relies on financial aid to pay for school) and scrapes and saves to be able to learn to fly. It should be something to be achieved, not just the next step in the "Gimme, gimme" attitude that is pervasive in this nation. Not everything should be open to anyone simply because they have a pulse and a rectal temp above room temperature. Reducing the hours required and commensurately the quality and quantity of training is not a good way to improve safety since it has been show that safety increases (for the most part) with the amount of time one spends at the controls.

This just smacks of "I learned the hard way, damnit, and so should everyone else". What is safer - a PP who learned the hard way, but can only afford to fly and hour or two every month, or a SP trained in 20-some hours that has the money to then fly once a week?

Also the reduction in weight most likely comes at the expense of things that are needed to give one a fighting chance at surviving a crash (structural integrity of the cabin, strong fuel tanks, etc).

The fighting chance that I want most in a crash is the lowest possible touchdown speed. You'll get that in an LSA. You might also want to consider that structural design engineers have learned a thing or two in the past 30 or 40 years, and with new materials and methods, can produce something as safe or safer than a heavier "legacy" aircraft.

Making it so that Bubba Q. Redneck can fly a modern version of a Piper Cub out of the back 40 is simply a way to instill overconfidence and revert us back to the "good ol' days" of GA where plane crashes were a more frequent occurence. You can't write regulations with the assumption that everyone will comply or even be smart enough to comply. You can, but it's not a good idea. If you want to be proactive, you need to write the regulations to keep people from having access to things that can hurt or kill them (or more importantly, others). No offense, but the idea of sharing the skies with some doofus who thinks he's Chuck Yeager because he has his little Cessna LSA is something that does not thrill me in the slightest.

Do you know any sport pilots? I do, and they are quite safe. There is no Chuck Yeager syndrome going on in those that I know. I also know a couple bonafide rednecks that are excellent pilots.

As to the regulations commentary, I tend to prefer our government lean every further from the "nanny state" direction we seem to be heading.

I'm sorry to come off like a jerk, but I couldn't find a single thing in your post I agreed with, and found much of it myopic and offensive.

Tim

As to the regulations commentary, I tend to prefer our government lean every further from the "nanny state" direction we seem to be heading.

I think that regulation has its place, not sure that private pilots and LS pilots need to be where the focal point is.

Up here part 135 ops take up most of the FAA's time. And rightly so.

If you ever want to depress yourself, go to the NTSB database and do a search on fatal crashes in part 135 ops. Especially in the mountainous states. Read the probably cause determinations. Same ones, time after time after time, after time.

I've flown LSA and considered going LS rather than PP. In the end I decided the PP training requirements were worth it. I didn't want to be limited by sunup/sundown and will probably chase the instrument ticket at some point.

After getting my certificate, I flew light sport for a little while. I think there are problems in growing the LS culture. The club I flew with had a stall/spin accident on departure with two fatalities about a year ago. As a result of the accident, the club had a special safety meeting to review W&B:hairraise:.

On one aircraft they ignore the POH approach speed and fly ~ 1.5*Vso (max gross). Yup, float is a problem and they seem to not understand why they have frequent nose gear damage. They tell pilots to go around if a porpose develops rather than ensuring that folks are landing when the aircraft is done flying.

In another aircraft, one instructor teaches that a standard pattern has a 1.5 mile final. Obviously that's not a LSA problem but the club had no structure to recognize and correct the teaching of poor pattern habits.

Long story made short, I'm not flying LSA anymore and I'm darn glad I went the PP route.

Last edited:
Poor ADM kills pilots. You don't build that in twenty hours of Light Sport Pilot training nor in forty hours of Private Pilot training. In fact, it takes several hundred hours and even then it may not take hold as having been evidenced in far too many NTSB reports.

SteveInMichigan said:
Personally I think the "sport pilot" idea ("Let's let people fly with LESS training!") and all that went along with it is one of the worse things to happen to general aviation along the continued tolerance of homebuilt aircraft and ultralights. Suffice to say I believe in increasing standards, not skirting the bare minimum.

Have you noticed that sport pilots have LESS privileges? Wouldn't less training make more sense, then?

No offense, but this comment shows a lack of grasping the basic concepts of economics. As somebody has already pointed out in this thread...

More pilots = infrastructure (no reason to keep so many airports if there are fewer pilots)
More pilots = lower fuel prices (there is actually a market so they might keep making it...and in larger quantities)
More pilots = more instructors (hmm, they might actually be able to scratch out a living)
More pilots = more FBOs (see more instructors)
etc. etc. etc.

For somebody that is already trying to scratch together the money to learn to fly, you might want to think things through before you form your opinions.

If you want to be proactive, you need to write the regulations to keep people from having access to things that can hurt or kill them (or more importantly, others). No offense, but the idea of sharing the skies with some doofus who thinks he's Chuck Yeager because he has his little Cessna LSA is something that does not thrill me in the slightest.

This is wrong on such a fundamental level that you and I will never come to terms. I had a mommy, we all did. She raised us in a free society and people like you and the rest of the 'we know what's best for you' crowd are the problem. I'll take a million Bubbas in LSAs over one do-gooding 'crat any day.

I apologize if harsh, but it is accurate. Unfortunately not enough of the populace is awake to see the damage done by the 'you need to be protected from yourself' mommy-patrol.

Have you noticed that sport pilots have LESS privileges? Wouldn't less training make more sense, then?
I, for one, have a hard time telling what would be the difference between a Sport Pilot with twenty-five hours and a Student Pilot with the same amount of time. The only difference I can see is that the SP *might* have the distraction of a passenger. But I think the simplicity of the aircraft helps offset that...

The sad thing is, most of the folks I talk to about Sport Pilot are against *more pilots*...period. They don't want more traffic at their airport.

Ron Wanttaja

I, for one, have a hard time telling what would be the difference between a Sport Pilot with twenty-five hours and a Student Pilot with the same amount of time. The only difference I can see is that the SP *might* have the distraction of a passenger. But I think the simplicity of the aircraft helps offset that...

The sad thing is, most of the folks I talk to about Sport Pilot are against *more pilots*...period. They don't want more traffic at their airport.

Ron Wanttaja

And this is the real issue that has to be addressed. If we want aviation to expand, we need to get out of the airport model. We need 300' neighborhood launch/recovery sites as well as building tops. With LSA rules, we have the ability to develope these craft with minimal involvement from the FAA. Now in order to function in an urban environment HITS and the rest of the next gen ATC system will have to be in place. That's really what is limiting GA more than everything else combined, functionality and practicality. Most of us live in urban/suburban metropolitan centers and spend 90% of our time there. Just getting to an airport is often an ordeal in and of itself. When intra-urban flying becomes really practical, then aviation will expand. We're close, probably 20 years developement at the current pace, but it's going there.

Uh huh. What about those of us who once met the standards as well as they can be met, but have now grown old? You want to knock this old USAF fighter pilot out of the skies? I'll finally reach an age where I can no longer pass the medical (I haven't yet, but it has to be within the next few years) but will still be quite capable of flying, just like I have for the last 18,000 hours. A little two-holer biplane of the LSA class looks awfully inviting to someone like me. To carry Henning's thought a little further, you need to be careful what you wish for: You might just get it.

Holy cow. It was not my intention to disappear after opening this can of worms, honest...

I'm going to reply to a bunch of messages in this one.

I think the medical qualifications need to be more stringent, not less but you probably don't want to hear that.
What, precisely, about flying requires a higher medical standard than driving? Altitude? There's no medical certification to drive up Pike's Peak. Concentration? Driven on a Houston freeway lately? The potential to kill many others? I'm sitting in a hotel room looking over Canal Street in Manhattan; one errant car there could wreak lots of carnage.

The idea that pilots need to be prime physical specimens should have died in the 1930s.

I think the consideration for a wide margin of safety trumps the possible heartbreak of someone having to sell their plane. It's better to mourn the loss of your plane than to have your family mourn the loss of you.
No argument here. However, I see no reason to set that point any higher than is needed to safely drive a car. I'm pretty sure the safety record of folks operating under the sport pilot rule will bear that out. If I didn't think I could operate an airplane safely with my medical issues, I wouldn't have bought one in the first place.

True...as long as the standards match the actual demands of flying. If they're higher than needed, then you're artificially restricting the pool of folks who can do things like rent and buy airplanes, pay flight instructors, rent hangars, buy fuel, and all of the other things that keep an aviation economy going. Artificial restrictions on an economy are bad.

Well, it really is more of a "corporate culture" than anything else that alarms me, not to mention the relative lack of oversight. Just because you CAN build a plane, doesn't mean you should.
That's why there are requirements for inspections by people who know what makes a homebuilt airplane airworthy. There's just as much oversight over a homebuilder than over a manufacturer - and possibly more, since manufacturers usually employ their very own designated airworthiness representatives to sign off the aircraft - which means that a homebuilt is much more likely to have independent oversight than a factory aircraft.

Especially giving a low hour pilot the controls of a plane that is often marketed to be fast, sport and maneuverable is asking for problems, especially if you make exceptions to allow them to be flown by the new "sport" pilot.
The aircraft that qualify as LSA are no faster than a 172, by regulation. Was I safer as a 170-hour pilot with 30 hours in type in a Tiger and a medical than I am as a 244-hour pilot with 71 hours in my own Zodiac and no medical? The Tiger goes 25 knots faster, carries a bit more useful load, and is significantly less well equipped.

There are going to be pilots who are unsafe; they'll be just as unsafe in a 172 as they would be in an RV-7A.

No offense, but I don't view aviation as an activity for the elite. You're talking to a 27 year old kid who grew up really poor (and still relies on financial aid to pay for school) and scrapes and saves to be able to learn to fly. It should be something to be achieved, not just the next step in the "Gimme, gimme" attitude that is pervasive in this nation. Not everything should be open to anyone simply because they have a pulse and a rectal temp above room temperature.
This is elitism of a different sort: not one of money, but rather one of physical prowess and perceived effort. I've got no problem with making sure people meet real requirements, and that includes real training. I agree that there's too much "gimme" in today's society. That doesn't mean we should make things harder just to make them harder.

Reducing the hours required and commensurately the quality and quantity of training is not a good way to improve safety since it has been show that safety increases (for the most part) with the amount of time one spends at the controls.
Right - but that increase doesn't really happen until several hundred hours of experience. The difference between 20 and 40 isn't measurable. Even a private ticket is a license to learn.

Also the reduction in weight most likely comes at the expense of things that are needed to give one a fighting chance at surviving a crash (structural integrity of the cabin, strong fuel tanks, etc).
We don't have anywhere near the numbers needed to substantiate this conjecture. This is a subject near and dear to my heart, since the Zodiac has been alleged to have a design issue that may be related to not being strong enough. There are at least three structural analyses going on as I type this to substantiate or refute this conjecture. The only results I've seen so far tend to support the argument that the Zodiac is indeed strong enough, despite being lighter in construction than, say, a Cherokee.

Making it so that Bubba Q. Redneck can fly a modern version of a Piper Cub out of the back 40 is simply a way to instill overconfidence and revert us back to the "good ol' days" of GA where plane crashes were a more frequent occurence.
Since when is this a result of the sport pilot rule? If you really think the difference in required training would magically turn Bubba into a safe pilot, you've got an inflated opinion of the value of private-level training.

If you want to be proactive, you need to write the regulations to keep people from having access to things that can hurt or kill them (or more importantly, others).
This pegs the horse exhaust meter. It's the same nanny-state idea that has led to all sorts of nonsense regulations, from bans on ugly guns (WARNING: I will unilaterally ignore any attempt to turn this into a gun control thread!) to limits on the top speed displayed on a speedometer that have nothing to do with what the vehicle is actually capable of. The last time I checked, this was a free country. That includes the freedom to do things that are stupid, things that can kill oneself, and generally things that do not hurt others. That kind of freedom is fundamentally incompatible with the kind of overarching regulation you advocate.

No offense, but the idea of sharing the skies with some doofus who thinks he's Chuck Yeager because he has his little Cessna LSA is something that does not thrill me in the slightest.
What makes you think that the same doofus won't think he's Yeager in his 172, or Taylorcraft?

I agree - what I've been getting from my FAASTeam participation is that ADM is really being stressed. We seem to be turning out pilots when we should be turning out aviators, or captains. What I find missing from many pilots is not stick and rudder skills, but the sort of awareness and acceptance of the responsibilities placed on the pilot in command.
This is the kind of thing we can and should attempt to teach...but that's all we can do, is attempt. The kind of lesson that teaches a pilot how to make decisions that are safe in the real world, and that he will actually take to heart, tends to be the one that scares him ****less. We can equip him with the tools, but they won't stick until that memorable flight.

But to be honest, it's missing from driver education, and its REALLY missing from boater education (power squadron is pretty good, but there's practically NO requirement for even fundamental seamanship training).
I'm constantly amazed that it's possible to spend money on a good fast Cigarette boat and run around with the throttle wide open, with no required training at all. That's one reason you won't get me out on the water.

I've flown LSA and considered going LS rather than PP. In the end I decided the PP training requirements were worth it. I didn't want to be limited by sunup/sundown and will probably chase the instrument ticket at some point.
Good for you! If you think the private ticket will fit your needs better, go for it.

After getting my certificate, I flew light sport for a little while. I think there are problems in growing the LS culture. (...)
Long story made short, I'm not flying LSA anymore and I'm darn glad I went the PP route.
The problems you cite aren't specific to the sport pilot world. Any pilot can have the same incorrect beliefs you cite.

Poor ADM kills pilots. You don't build that in twenty hours of Light Sport Pilot training nor in forty hours of Private Pilot training. In fact, it takes several hundred hours and even then it may not take hold as having been evidenced in far too many NTSB reports.
Amen. This is something I deliberately keep in the forefront of my thinking. I know damned good and well that my 244 hours total time put me in the range where pilots overcome the initial cautiousness they come out of the checkride with and think they know enough, when they really don't. I try hard to make my decisions not on what I think I can get away with doing, but on what choice is consistent with safety while still getting the job done - and recognizing that the latter may not always be possible.

Uh huh. What about those of us who once met the standards as well as they can be met, but have now grown old? You want to knock this old USAF fighter pilot out of the skies? I'll finally reach an age where I can no longer pass the medical (I haven't yet, but it has to be within the next few years) but will still be quite capable of flying, just like I have for the last 18,000 hours. A little two-holer biplane of the LSA class looks awfully inviting to someone like me.
There are an awful lot of folks in this position. Not everyone flying an LSA is fresh from a 20-hour course and a checkride. Not only that, but Ray's experience will go a long way to keep him safe even in the face of whatever medical issues may crop up - and will give him a much better basis on which to decide when it's time to hang it up than an AME with no time in the cockpit can ever have.

I dunno.. have you seen these LSA panels?
You mean like the one I've attached?

No, it's the realization that Yes, you ARE that stupid, that kills pilots.
Indeed. Pilot stupidity is the greatest killer of all in aviation. Flying is not inherently dangerous, but it's unforgiving, especially of stupidity.

Attachments

• N55ZC-panel.jpg
    N55ZC-panel.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 38

I think Sport Pilot is purposelly ment to turn us into purely recreational flyers ala hangliders/powered kites, etc and turn us away from GA as a means of transportation. Its pacification in many ways and with the cost of GA flying skyrocketing the "average" or even above average person of financial means is having a hard time justifying airplane ownership or even renting for the number of hours it requires to remain proficient. If I could only fly LSA's, I'd be doing soemthing else instead.

Anthony....I have to ask if you have any time in an LSA? Look at the panel in Jay's aircraft. Does it look like just an "around the patch" Cub (no offense)? These are modern, safe, go someplace aircraft...that just happen to be a hell of a lot of fun to fly.

Jay;
Thank you for your very well thought out note above. I am in the simular situation as Ray above; Flown for quite some time in many different kinds of planes and enviroments for over 48 years. I guess as a "Grey Beard" I feel that the LSA gives us old folks some more time in the air. I see many folks from the airlines, long time GA pilots like myself and military folks who just want to have fun flying simple airplanes.

Thanks again for your post

John J

Our society long ago accepted automobile carnage. It's written into our laws, our insurance, and our expectations of safety. It's a function of numbers and experience -- "everybody" knows someone who has been in an "accident."

Airplane crashes strike at a primal human fear -- falling from a great height. So is it any wonder these crashes make the news?

The same people who drive 85 MPH on the beltway won't cross the Bay bridge because it's "So high up."

The problem for aviation enthusiasts is that the public sense of outrage at "all these little airplanes crashing into people's houses" can quickly result in well-intentioned regulations and laws, "protecting the public" from the "menace from the sky."

The intention of the LSA/Sport Pilot rule was to lower the barrier to entry and expand the pilot pool. Increased numbers are good in any market.

But in our case, that market has an outside factor that is not purely market-driven -- government regulation (or at least the threat of such regulation) -- which the numbers can force.

The GA safety record has steadily "improved" due to the reduction of the number of GA total hours flown. This has helped dampen the ardor of those who would "protect us."

But it can change on a whim, and we in GA need to police ourselves, or we'll deserve what we get.

Anthony....I have to ask if you have any time in an LSA? Look at the panel in Jay's aircraft. Does it look like just an "around the patch" Cub (no offense)? These are modern, safe, go someplace aircraft...that just happen to be a hell of a lot of fun to fly.

There was an article in a recent issue of Flying about the Sport Pilot/LSA world. Seems that insurance loss experience to date is bad with LSAs and their pilots, twice as many incidents/hr compared to GA as a whole, and bad per claim cost.

Contrary to what you'd think, it's not fresh new LSA ticket holders bending the aluminum (or plastic) nearly as much as existing private pilots downshifting to sport pilot. One of the thoughts was that the "experienced" pilots weren't taking the task seriously, since the LSAs were littler, slower, etc. than what they had flown before.

Part of the bad per claim cost was reluctance of shops to work on new designs and/or lack of a good parts supply chain that were resulting in total losses. Also, salvage yards apparently don't want to buy crunched LSAs since there's no real history on which to base a salvage bid.

Trapper John

Contrary to what you'd think, it's not fresh new LSA ticket holders bending the aluminum (or plastic) nearly as much as existing private pilots downshifting to sport pilot. One of the thoughts was that the "experienced" pilots weren't taking the task seriously, since the LSAs were littler, slower, etc. than what they had flown before.
Indeed. It's worth noting that the insurance companies are now requiring more transition training into LSAs; the numbers aren't in yet to see if that has helped.

Part of the bad per claim cost was reluctance of shops to work on new designs and/or lack of a good parts supply chain that were resulting in total losses.
This is one reason I selected the Zodiac: simple construction with technology any A&P is familiar with, and parts supply from the USA, not elsewhere in the world.

Back