SPORT PILOT MEDICAL---14 CFR 61.53 /61.23/61.303 clarification

A

anon

I have searched many aviation sites and It seems that there are conflicting opinions of when you can use DL in place of a medical for sport pilot privileges. I am more confused than when I started searching so I thought I would pose this hypo here.

Please do not misinterpret the reason for my question. I am not trying to do an end run around the law or evade any requirements. I want to be safe and legal, so I am asking for advice as to how to interpret the regs. and follow their requirements. If that means needing a third class SI, so be it.

Scenario:

-Have never applied for, possessed or been denied a medical cert.

-Previous treatment for Coronary heart disease that has been treated(stats show thousands of SI have been issued for specific diagnosis but my understanding is that the path can be expensive and lengthy (complete cardiac workup etc).

-All meds in AOPAs approved list(none used off label-all prescribed for approved uses)

-at regular follow up with cardiologist you tell doc that you are thinking of maybe flying around in a tiny little airplane for fun and ask what she thinks of the idea. She replies that she doesn't see an issue , you have been cleared for any exercise tolerated and she doesn't think you have any greater risk of sudden incapacitation than the average person walking down the street.

Are you good to go or do you need to try and see if you can get and SI?

Thanks!

Dr. says you are good to go, you do not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner, no previous denial, and you have a valid drivers license. Right?

Good to go.

Trying for a special issue would be a stupid thing to do if Sport Pilot meets your needs.

Now, there will be someone along that will try to tell you that you must meet the requirements of a [first, second, third] class medical to fly under the sport rules, but the fact of the matter is that people like to make up regulations because they think it isn't fair that someone else might do something that they think they shouldn't do.

I have searched many aviation sites and It seems that there are conflicting opinions of when you can use DL in place of a medical for sport pilot privileges. I am more confused than when I started searching so I thought I would pose this hypo here.

Please do not misinterpret the reason for my question. I am not trying to do an end run around the law or evade any requirements. I want to be safe and legal, so I am asking for advice as to how to interpret the regs. and follow their requirements. If that means needing a third class SI, so be it.

Scenario:

-Have never applied for, possessed or been denied a medical cert.

-Previous treatment for Coronary heart disease that has been treated(stats show thousands of SI have been issued for specific diagnosis but my understanding is that the path can be expensive and lengthy (complete cardiac workup etc).

-All meds in AOPAs approved list(none used off label-all prescribed for approved uses)

-at regular follow up with cardiologist you tell doc that you are thinking of maybe flying around in a tiny little airplane for fun and ask what she thinks of the idea. She replies that she doesn't see an issue , you have been cleared for any exercise tolerated and she doesn't think you have any greater risk of sudden incapacitation than the average person walking down the street.

Are you good to go or do you need to try and see if you can get and SI?

Thanks!

The regs you are concerned with regarding your medical condition is §61.53(c) and §61.303(b)(4) which adhere to the same standard. Generally if your treating physician is okay with you flying then you're good to go from an FAA perspective.

If you want additional piece of mind from a safety standpoint, there's nothing wrong with making a consultative appointment with a physician who is experienced in aerospace medicine and having him or her review your medical records to weigh in on whether they have any concerns about you flying with your medical condition as presently treated. Mind you they would be meeting with you not as an agent of the FAA, but as a physician assessing your medical condition to help you understand your risk. As such, do not submit any applications for medical certificates (in medxpress) in conjunction with this appointment.

Dr. says you are good to go, you do not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner, no previous denial, and you have a valid drivers license. Right?

Good to go.

The good captain is spot on. If you and your doc have no valid medical concerns about you piloting an aircraft - have at it. In FAA verbiage it looks like this:

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response4/

As to using a driver's license for a medical I would add a clarification that some have missed. If your license is suspended for any reason you cannot use it as a medical. In some states your license can be suspended if your auto insurance lapses and/or failure to pay child support. Lot's of reasons that you may not realize can be used to suspend a license. For instance California has a rule that says your license can be suspended for, "Being caught driving when you are physically/mentally unfit to do so." Now that could have some wild interpretations ... :confused:

You can fly if you're fit to fly in your judgement as pilot in command. Your physician's advice should certainly factor into that judgement but in the end it's your decision. Even in the link in the above post, the FAA says, "should," not "shall."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back