Sport Pilot Class B C and D endorsement

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Part 61.325 explains what is required to operate out of Class B C and D airports. But what I can't specifically figure out is if a separate endorsement is required for EACH airspace. The way I read it, if the CFI does all the ground training associated with the various airspaces, and then does the dual flight into, say, a Class D airport, the endorsement also covers Class C and B.

Am I correct? Wrong? Anyone have anything definitive?

The way I read it, if the CFI does all the ground training associated with the various airspaces, and then does the dual flight into, say, a Class D airport, the endorsement also covers Class C and B.

I agree. The reg does not specify that the instructor must train the student at each type of airspace (B, C, D) in which the student would like to fly in.

This exact question came up in a seminar at OSH last year.. Both the presenter and others in the forum could not nail it down either... I am guessing Ron or Steven P will have the answer.....:yesnod:

Here's a document from EAA/NAFI worth looking at. Appendix 3, endorsement #7 states:

Class B, C, Or D Airspace, at an Airport Located in Class B, C, Or D Airspace, or To, From, Through, or On an Airport Having an Operational Control Tower: §61.325

I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) has received the required training of § 61.325. I have determined he/she is proficient to conduct operations in Class B, C, or D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, or to, from, through, or on an airport having an operational control tower.

First, here's the regulation under discussion:
Sec. 61.325

How do I obtain privileges to operate a light-sport aircraft at an airport within, or in airspace within, Class B, C, and D airspace, or in other airspace with an airport having an operational control tower?

If you hold a sport pilot certificate and seek privileges to operate a light-sport aircraft in Class B, C, or D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, or to, from, through, or at an airport having an operational control tower, you must receive and log ground and flight training. The authorized instructor who provides this training must provide a logbook endorsement that certifies you are proficient in the following aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation:
(a) The use of radios, communications, navigation system/facilities, and radar services.
(b) Operations at airports with an operating control tower to include three takeoffs and landings to a full stop, with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern, at an airport with an operating control tower.
(c) Applicable flight rules of part 91 of this chapter for operations in Class B, C, and D airspace and air traffic control clearances.
Note the "an airport," not "the airport," and nothing there about training in any particular B/C/D space. Nor is there anything saying you have to actually fly in B/C/D airspace; the only specifically mandated flight training is at an airport with an operating control tower, which appears to leave room for someone a long way from B/C/D airspace to receive ground training (and maybe some work with a TRACON or Center for basic radar service familiarization) only to be signed off for those airspace types. And here's the limiting reg which a 61.325 endorsement gives release:
Sec. 61.315

What are the privileges and limits of my sport pilot certificate?
(c) You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:
(7) In Class B, C, and D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, and to, from, through, or at an airport having an operational control tower unless you have met the requirements specified in §61.325.
Nothing there about location-specific training, either.

That said, personally, I would not give a 61.325 endorsement valid for B, C or D airspace without having flown with the Sport Pilot in at least one B, C or D airspace, respectively. But from a regulatory standpoint, I see no reason to limit a 61.325 endorsement to the particular tower-controlled airport or B/C/D airspace in which the 61.325 training occurred.

Last edited:
Well, since I am relatively close to a Class B, I will just do that and I will be assured the endorsement will cover the other two.

Back