Sport Pilot and ADHD?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
I recently received my PPL and I have found myself talking to my friends about it. It has really surprised (though it probably shouldn't) me how many of my friends want to learn to fly but have not pursued it because of lack of information, or belief that they cannot get a medical.

But some of them I know would have issues, I come from the generation where ADD/ADHD diagnosis and drugs were given to anyone who's parents or teachers just did not want to deal with them. Some of the diagnoses were correct and are managed with the drugs, but many have stopped taking the drugs as they entered into adulthood.

So, I have 2 questions:
1. Can an individual fly sport pilot with a history of ADHD?

2. Can an individual fly sport pilot if they have ADHD and it is effectively managed with a drug that would cause 3rd class medical to be denied?

This page on the FAA website
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response5/
suggests that the answer to the first question (and possibly the second) is yes, and the FAA site only lists prohibited over-the-counter medications (which no ADHD drug is) and disqualifying conditions (ADHD is not on this list: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response6/).

Can anyone offer more clarity on this?

Experts will weigh in, but be careful about how you do this. I think that if you *start* by failing the class 3 and then think, "Well, I guess it's SP for me", you might find out that you aren't legal for SP anymore, either.

Legal, but may or may not be wise. Someone with an ADHD diagnosis should probably consult their personal physician first.

As Matthew says, applying for and failing an FAA medical certification will take the Sport Pilot option off the table. SPs with a driver's license self-certify their fitness to fly, but they should be knowledgeable about their condition, so getting advice from their doctor would seem to be a good idea and it won't wipe out their eligibility like an FAA exam might.

The regulations are:
61.53 b "For operations provided for in §61.23(b) of this part, a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner."

and 61.303 b "A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—

(1) Comply with each restriction and limitation imposed by that person's U.S. driver's license and any judicial or administrative order applying to the operation of a motor vehicle;

(2) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);

(3) Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate (if the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn; and

(4) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner."

If a person can meet the above requirements, then a person may act as PIC under the sport pilot rules.

The regulations are:
61.53 b "For operations provided for in §61.23(b) of this part, a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner."

and 61.303 b "A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—

(1) Comply with each restriction and limitation imposed by that person's U.S. driver's license and any judicial or administrative order applying to the operation of a motor vehicle;

(2) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);

(3) Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate (if the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn; and

(4) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner."

If a person can meet the above requirements, then a person may act as PIC under the sport pilot rules.

Right. For a person with a US driver's license who has never applied for an FAA medical, item #4 is the only one that really means anything. That's why I suggested consulting with his personal physician. If his primary care doc doesn't have a problem with him flying, then he's clean for #4 and legal to fly. Otherwise it could be questioned, since the person knows he was once diagnosed with ADHD.

I am interested in knowing what the potential problems that could occur with insurance should you encounter an engine failure or ground loop a trail dragger.
My insurance carrier issued the policy for my tail dragger knowing that I don't have a medical. And, there is nothing in the policy requiring that I get one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back