Spokane Co. sues man over use of private helipad

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Ryanb, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    Why?

2. smv

smv Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    If the address on his airmen database entry is where he has the helipad, it is no wonder the neighbors were complaining. Not exactly isolated.

Screenshot_20200222-125436_Maps.jpg

3. benyflyguy

benyflyguy En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    benyflyguy
    Well he owns the the helicopter so I wonder who is flying it?? Is he learning from home and have a CFI come in all the time?? Does he have a pilot hired to fly for him- no big deal there. But is he flying the bird- that’s a pretty big deal imo.
    He would not be the first person to buy a plane and fly it who was not licensed.

4. SToL

SToL Line Up and Wait

Bush Alaska, Colorado Rockies & Valley of the Sun
    Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    Don't you mean, "Some, not all, people can be real jerks sometimes..."?

Skyrys62 and benyflyguy like this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    A student can solo with a medical and the proper endorsements. This is no different than a student signed off to solo an airplane at a designated airport.

The FAA is not going to get involved unless a complaint is made. And the FAA doesn’t get involved with private heli stops.

6. C-1 PILOT

C-1 PILOT Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    C-1 PILOT
    The guy is a neophyte. Like you said, he should have did his homework.

There is a well known aviator, who registered a “Heli-Stop” in his backyard on Long Island. It’s just outside the 5 mile ring of KFRG and backs up against state land. The town went crazy and tried telling him he could use it. He got visits from everyone, Troopers, local PD and the Fire DEPT. The Fire DEPT gave him all the flack. The police were intrigued, but no laws broke, no harm no foul.

NYS in general, has casual landing rights, absent any local regulations. He was smart, got the Heli Stop designation, so feds had no issue. There were no rules on the books, so the county, as I recall, enacted new laws...BUT, they had to grandfather the guy in.

7. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    Hey, if they let yahoos on RVs self-teach aerobatics and formation without the need for an endorsement, I'd say those batter-mixer death traps shouldn't need certs either. 69% of the time it works all the time. :D

8. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    AbnJag
    I live close by to this mess. The pilot is 70 years old and apparently flys somewhat regularly. Don’t know if he has a license and he flies an Enstrom Shark. No FAA permission to build the helipad. There are lots of homes in this development - most on 1/2-1 acre sites - along with lots of fairly tall pine trees. I have to believe it’s got to be fairly challenging to get in and out of his place. I might take a drive in the next day or so and check it out. By the way, there are a number of private helipads all around the Spokane -Coeur d’Alene area. Ran into a land developer who has a Robinson 44 and a turbine Robinson that he keeps at his house. Very nice heliport and hangar complete with his own fire truck, fuel tanks, etc. Very nice set up.

9. bflynn

bflynn Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    The only issue here is the zoning - his house is not zoned for having a private heliport. The county will shut him down for that. Everything else is just opinion.

separate issue if he doesn’t have a certificate.

10. Doc Holliday

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    He doesn't need FAA "permission". This is a state and local issue.

Depends. Lots of fixed wing pilots view LZ's of helicopters as "challenging" when in reality it's not. Again though, he has a state/local problem, as well as a neighbor problem.

11. Velocity173

Velocity173 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Sounds like one of them rogue helicopter pilots.

TCABM and SToL like this.
  12. smv

smv Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    He is lucky. It was a white helicopter. You do not want the black helicopters on yer arse. "Lemon-Headed"?!?!? I hope the parents of all those poor Boy Scouts in the audience were able to explain away such vulgar language.

13. 3393RP

3393RP En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    Now here's some valid thinking. These schemes by Uber and others to have thousands of VTOL taxis running by 2023 crack me up. It ain't gonna happen.