Splitting the dinner bill

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Guess I'm asking for some insight into a recent situation I found myself in.

During ABS, several of us got together to go out to dinner. Since I was the only one from the Dallas area in the group, I was elected to pick the place to eat. I knew most of the group real well but, five or six folks joined us because they wanted to go out and didn't know their way around. A total of 15 went to dinner.

I suggested a place where I know the owner; hand makes their own pasta and limited deserts. One could get by for $20.00 or easily spend quite a bit more on entrees, add drinks, dessert, etc.

At the end of the meal, the waiter, who is familiar to me, presented me the bill. I passed it around and asked everyone to put in what they owed. The bill folder came back around after some time, I added my money and it was $100 short. One of my friends asked, I counted it in front of everyone and a couple folks dug in and chipped in more, but it was still $60 short.

So, in that situation, how would you try to settle the bill without embarrassing anyone and still showing Texas (or other good) manners?

Bet,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:

During ABS, several of us got together to go out to dinner. Since I was the only one from the Dallas area in the group, I was elected to pick the place to eat. I knew most of the group real well but, five or six folks joined us because they wanted to go out and didn't know their way around. A total of 15 went to dinner.

I suggested a place where I know the owner; hand makes their own pasta and limited deserts. One could get by for $20.00 or easily spend quite a bit more on entrees, add drinks, dessert, etc.

At the end of the meal, the waiter, who is familiar to me, presented me the bill. I passed it around and asked everyone to put in what they owed. The bill folder came back around after some time, I added my money and it was $100 short. One of my friends asked, I counted it in front of everyone and a couple folks dug in and chipped in more, but it was still $60 short.

So, in that situation, how would you try to settle the bill without embarrassing anyone and still showing Texas (or other good) manners?

Bet,

Dave

Dave,

I've ended up in this situation so many times I can't even count them. We were once $300 short at a big party for a friend ($1000 tab for 25 people), no one would fess up, so me and my best friend ate it and swore never to spend time with those people again.

That said, what I do is this - I discuss with people at the beginning of the meal, in a non financial way, if we are going to split things or not. I suggest ordering table-wide items and I don't order soup, salads, or similar single-person items if I don't know the group. Same with alcohol. If a group is short, I'll pass the check around again and say "I'm not sure what everyone contributed, but I think we are a little short. I put in $75 for my XX,YY,ZZ". This generally rights the ship.

If it doesn't, I eat it and never go out with those people again.

Most of the people I dine out with end up splitting the bill evenly at the end of the night. Over time, it all works out - sometimes you are ahead, some times you are behind.

While it sounds harsh, it rarely is. I've found that most people just don't take shared items into account and you may need to remind people of what the table shared. This is 100x worse at mixed company social events than business dinners - I think this is because most business folks are on expense accounts are more willing to spend cash and just throw money in the table.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thats easy Dave, "hey everyone, can you recheck your totals, we are $200 short!!"

;)

Once we had a similar problem at a dinner; the family member involved was on their third rum and coke - and it was absolute chaos until a sober person took charge!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thats easy Dave, "hey everyone, can you recheck your totals, we are $200 short!!"
It has been my experience that those who are short usually know they are short but don't care.

Other times, people neglect to consider the high cost of alcoholic beverages (esp bottles of wine) or they don't include money for the tip. In virtually all circumstances these days, we split it evenly if among friends or ask for separate checks.

My story along these lines involved a group of friends who offered to take me out for my birthday one year. The night was long, people came and went. Those who left were urged by the hosts to pay into a pile in the middle of the table. At the end of the night, I had to cough up $185 to settle the bill.

I always feel the call of nature about the time the bill is to arrive. Someone else can settle it.

Or ask for separate checks.

bill

I used to go to a monthly steak and cigars dinner with a bunch of voice over guys (Not me. I originally crashed it!). After I was out of the loop for a few months and came back they were getting separate checks. It turned out that some of the guys were chain ordering Merlot and the most expensive steaks. It was decided that an even share was not good deal for all.

We had a reunion last week. The host asked for separate checks and the waiter didn't want to do it. He said it would take a while. We said we weren't in a hurry. When we got the separate checks they had still added an 18% gratuity to each. Each of us added to that. If he had not done separate checks he would have gotten a lot less.

Some things never change. When women go out in a group for lunch or dinner -- and yes, I know I'm generalizing here -- they're going to divvy up the check and there's going to be much discussion about who owes how much. If they're going out for drinks, there's a reasonable chance strange men will pay for some of the cocktails. Some women almost count on that happening.

When men go out, they bring cash. "Goodfellas" cash. Guys usually take turns picking up the tab for the night -- or if they split the bill, everybody's throwing money around like a Greek uncle at a wedding. The guy collecting the dough ends up saying, "OK we have way too much here, everybody's gotta take back 40 bucks."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep31.html

there is a local Post writer who regularly writes in about finances, savings, etc etc. she wrote a story about bill-splitting in restos. I can't remember exactly what she said but she chided people who "made" the salad eaters/water drinkers split the bill evenly - that was her tone.

she said in her next article (a week later) that she had never gotten so much mail about any topic she ever wrote about. it really tapped a vein.

basically it came down to there are a ton of cheapskates in this world who have no shame. (that is my interpretation, not hers - I think she still applauded the folks who got away with the ten dollar filet mignon)

my personal take on it (from experience) is that a lot of people

a. can't do math
b. conveniently forget about tax
c. grossly undertip - or just don't bother, thinking the group will cover them somehow
d. or, maybe they round up to the nearest buck (or to be generous, nearest 10 bucks - i.e. a 36 dollar tab they will put in 40 when in some cases that may just be the tax)

around here tax and tip comes to 25% of the bill - and that's not a generous tip.

if I'm with friends I know are broke, I offer to pay for their dinner right up front or I'll even grab the bill and run with it - I've paid for a table of CFIs when we took two planes on a hamburger run for example. not a big deal. when it cheeses me is when I know the person I'm dining with can afford it (and I've even had this happen with just ONE friend, which really takes balls) shorts the bill or does the round up trick. yeah, my chicken fingers and fries came to 30 bucks.

in a group, the moral is - make sure you've adequately covered your own bill including tax and tip and DO NOT hold the bill (unless you don't care or you already know you're covering it).

astanley said:
Dave,

I've ended up in this situation so many times I can't even count them. We were once $300 short at a big party for a friend ($1000 tab for 25 people), no one would fess up, so me and my best friend ate it and swore never to spend time with those people again.

That said, what I do is this - I discuss with people at the beginning of the meal, in a non financial way, if we are going to split things or not. I suggest ordering table-wide items and I don't order soup, salads, or similar single-person items if I don't know the group. Same with alcohol. If a group is short, I'll pass the check around again and say "I'm not sure what everyone contributed, but I think we are a little short. I put in $75 for my XX,YY,ZZ". This generally rights the ship.

If it doesn't, I eat it and never go out with those people again.

Most of the people I dine out with end up splitting the bill evenly at the end of the night. Over time, it all works out - sometimes you are ahead, some times you are behind.

While it sounds harsh, it rarely is. I've found that most people just don't take shared items into account and you may need to remind people of what the table shared. This is 100x worse at mixed company social events than business dinners - I think this is because most business folks are on expense accounts are more willing to spend cash and just throw money in the table.

Cheers,

-Andrew

if you know the people in the group, I think you can predict who exactly it is who shorts the bill and look to them for the rest of it... (I say this generically)

Well.....I can see I'm not alone!!

Actually, covering the shortage didn't bother me as much as it bothered a couple friends that I did it---they really got mad at me!!

It's nice to have friends like that. One of said what are you doing; you're not their dad.

Seems some folks paid closer attention than me and knew exactly who paid what. I was enjoying the moment too much to notice.

Dave

I remember miscalculating one time at a Chinese restaurant at lunch. When the cash was counted, I was $20 over on a $50 check! I was relieved of my lunchtime math duties permanently! :D

In your situation, I'd just say "We're $100 short. I'm gonna pass the money back - take out what you put in and we'll start over." That'll put somebody on notice that they blew it and people are watching.

Also, if I'm handling the money I always insist that the money go straight to me one at a time rather than around the table.

ooh, here is a story for ya.

the group in New Zealand - one night 8 of us went to dinner. I think 3 in the group were friends of the pilots, the other 5 were pilots.

1. you do not tip in New Zealand
2. taxes are included in the food price already (no math needed)
3. they typically don't do that goofy pricing where everything is 7.95 or whatever. it's either 8 bucks, or it's 9, or 10, etc etc. some places might use 50 cents (6.50, 8.50, 30.50, etc.) but it was relatively rare.

how hard could it POSSIBLY be? all the flash points are GONE.

we were still 5 dollars short. I even rounded up (29 dollars for food, chipped in 30) and I know the person sitting next to me did too. we were still short. sigh.

it's just how it is I guess. the above was kinda funny. except for the guy who was last to pay - the rest of us had left the restaurant (in that case though, I don't know why he even mentioned it - 5 NZ is less than 4 dollars).

mikea said:
We had a reunion last week. The host asked for separate checks and the waiter didn't want to do it. He said it would take a while. We said we weren't in a hurry. When we got the separate checks they had still added an 18% gratuity to each. Each of us added to that. If he had not done separate checks he would have gotten a lot less.

That infuriates me. If I'm given good service, I generally tip between 20 and 30%. I will tell the waiter to remove the gratuity on the bill. If he refuses, it doesn't matter how good t he service is, I will not tip a dime above what's on the check. The waiter just missed out on up to 15% more (as I usually see 15% gratuity).

I get extremely offended when someone insinuates that I am not going to tip.

"Sorry, all I have is plastic, can I get a separate check for mine?"

NickDBrennan said:
That infuriates me. If I'm given good service, I generally tip between 20 and 30%. I will tell the waiter to remove the gratuity on the bill. If he refuses, it doesn't matter how good t he service is, I will not tip a dime above what's on the check. The waiter just missed out on up to 15% more (as I usually see 15% gratuity).

I get extremely offended when someone insinuates that I am not going to tip.

Well, don't forget Nick, many places (every high end place I've ever been too) add a minimum 18% gratuity on parties of 6,8,10 or more. There is a greater front house cost on large parties (more attention needed on one table, more waitstaff needed to deliver food to table, more bussing needed on that table) so they generally add that on. It says it on the menu and, in many cities, on the door as well.

If it was a small (4 or less) I'd agree. Over 6? I'd disagree with you.

Cheers,

-Andrew
from a family of chefs, innkeepers, bartenders and people of similar ilk

Dave Siciliano said:

I knew most of the group real well but, five or six folks joined us because they wanted to go out and didn't know their way around. A total of 15 went to dinner.

One could get by for $20.00 or easily spend quite a bit more on entrees, add drinks, dessert, etc.

The bill folder came back around after some time, I added my money and it was $100 short.
Dave

Dave, I found your money, it was hidden in someone's pocket. That is an easy correlation to make but may be entirely inaccurate.

Except when with relatives, a known quanity, in large groups I've always had to chip in. How disgusting that several thought they could squelch not only on the food & drinks, but the tip also. I figure those folks think they can just get lost in the size of the group and no one will notice.

To combat all that, you have two options.

1) You said you knew the restaurant the the waiter. You can prearrange with staff a limited menu with a dollar cap per customer. Alcohol and dessert is extra. This is what the airlines do--chicken or the fish. You bet there is steak available but you pay extra.

2)You let each person in your party know it will cost each of them a $ amount commensurate to the menu item prices. This will establish a 'kitty' which is guarenteed to meet the food plus tip. Alcohol and dessert and side dishes are not included in the kitty and that diner will be expected to cough up extra for those items.

If someone decides to have less than a full dinner (EX: just a salad) it is obvious to everyone at the table and that person's share of the kitty will be deducted as appropriate. Alternately, their salad cost the same as a full share of the kitty. They knew that going in so they made the choice. But in this case, you are dealing with that one person instead of a whole table.

In both options you have eliminated the detective work in finding the squelchers at your table and you have almost eliminated the opportunity for them to play their game.

woodstock said:
if you know the people in the group, I think you can predict who exactly it is who shorts the bill and look to them for the rest of it... (I say this generically)

I agree, and I don't go out with those people, period. Too many burns...

Another example - we are all going out for Dim Sum Saturday morning, haven't been in almost a year. It is known that we are all splitting the bill - there is no use trying to figure out what you are or are not due. (So many small little dishes...). I think it is toughest when people who don't drink go out with people who drink (I drink), since alcohol carries a higher overall cost. I can remember one dinner we went to, for a friends birthday, and many of us ordered these massive "goblet" drinks - which turned out to be $25 a pop! Some of us had 3 or 4 over the course of the night - needless to say when the bill came there were a LOT of trips to the ATM!

We have done birthdays before where people have said "We'll I'm not eating then" or similar; frankly, if you want to go out with a group, and don't want to eat, then meet us later. The whole social event of eating carries a cost... and no one rides for free.

Cheers,

-Andrew

BTDT many, many times. I usually wind up covering the shortage and making a mental note. If I go with people I don't know I ask in advance for separate checks. I've been stuck with the tab so many times I've even thrown the waiter a $10 out of pocket to do spearate checks - beats getting stuck for $100 in underpayment.

One option I've tried (with varying success) is to go person by person with the bill in my hand and ask for the money. "Tom, what did you have to eat? How much was that? Looks like your total is $55 plus tip. Somebody please pass it down to me." People don't like it because it puts them on the spot and takes a long time. But after going to dinner with one guy who wanted to "just split the check" after ordering five mixed drinks to my four beers, I've had to resort to these less subtle tactics.

My best "throw your money in a pile" story came at Oshkosh. I was building an F1 Rocket at the time and three of us were headed to "The Bar" that night for drinks and dinner. Then it became five, then ten, then a private room in the back. In all, we must have had thirty people. No telling how many beers and how much food. When it was all over I stood up and said, "They won't break up the tab for us, and I have no idea who had what. But you do. I'm putting $50 in the pot to cover my hamburger and the beer I drank. Please don't be an ass and short me when you pay for yours. Don't forget the tax and the top." When the smoke cleared I was $10 ahead. Those F1 guys are the best!

wsuffa said:
I always feel the call of nature about the time the bill is to arrive. Someone else can settle it.

Or ask for separate checks.

bill

I'm gonna' come clean. A long time ago, in another century, when we all reveled in the vitality of our youth, a large group went to a late night dinner. Our alum had just won state water polo so we were feeling rambunctious. It was a wonderful meal.

Holy cow, look at the bill! Collectively, we didn't have the necessary dough. Either that or we didn't want to shell out that kind of coin. In our youth, it was a viable option.

Okay, okay, here's the plan--shhhh--okay, you 3 guys go to the bathroom. Then, one at a time, head for the car. You 3 head make like you are gonna' buy some cigs at the machine up front by the door. You other 2 go up the cashier to make change for the telephone. Don't head for the car until the other 6 or in the car. Shhh, here comes the waitress....yeah, we're just counting up the tip. dum dee dee dum. Okay, she's gone--shhh, okay, those other guy will be out of sight in the parking lot when you go up to the cig machine. I'll make like I'm going to the bathroom--you have 20 seconds to get to the car and start 'er up, I'll be right behind you. Go!

It worked! All of ten made it safely past the checkpoints and successfully evaded the staff. We were silently motoring out of the parking lot as the backseaters watched the utter chaos explode inside the restaurant and we made good our getaway. It was a grand caper.

Last edited:
I knew a guy who would whip out a calculator when the bill came. Calculated the amount owed to the penny.

Richard said:
I'm gonna' come clean. A long time ago, in another century, when we all reveled in the vitality of our youth, a large group went to a late night dinner. Our alum had just won state water polo so we were feeling rambunctious. It was a wonderful meal.

Holy cow, look at the bill! Collectively, we didn't have the necessary dough. Either that or we didn't want to shell out that kind of coin. In our youth, it was a viable option.

Okay, okay, here's the plan--shhhh--okay, you 3 guys go to the bathroom. Then, one at a time, head for the car. You 3 head make like you are gonna' buy some cigs at the machine up front by the door. You other 2 go up the cashier to make change for the telephone. Don't head for the car until the other 6 or in the car. Shhh, here comes the waitress....yeah, we're just counting up the tip. dum dee dee dum. Okay, she's gone--shhh, okay, those other guy will be out of sight in the parking lot when you go up to the cig machine. I'll make like I'm going to the bathroom--you have 20 seconds to get to the car and start 'er up, I'll be right behind you. Go!

It worked! All of ten made it safely past the checkpoints and successfully evaded the staff. We were silently motoring out of the parking lot as the backseaters watched the utter chaos explode inside the restaurant and we made good our getaway. It was a grand caper.

erm, I don't think Bill was saying he walked out on the check. I think he meant he would throw his money in and then leave the table.

woodstock said:
erm, I don't think Bill was saying he walked out on the check. I think he meant he would throw his money in and then leave the table.

I'm sure you're right. But it is a good story.:cheerswine:

I try to ignore it and simply make up the difference when I get stiffed. But, when I see the same guy conveniently going to the restroom at bill time, never picking up the tab while ordering the filet, and other such crassness I either avoid him or work a little conspiracy to hang him with a tab to even things out. I enjoy treating my friends, I won't be taken advantage of.

Len Lanetti said:
Richard,

You, of course, have since gone to confession and made restitution, right!?

Len

7 X 77. I've been overpriced and underpaid so many times I've probably made up for all of us involved in that. That plus getting stuck behind old men asleep at the traffic light as I'm rushing to a very important meeting... Oh yeah, I've made restitution.

woodstock said:

Exactly. Don't walk out on a bill, besides being a crime, the waiter/waitress usually has to take it out of their pay. Rarely can they afford that.

Thanks y'all. Sounds like this is a much more common malady than I had thought. Next time I'll chip in my part and silently watch as others take the tab and run with it. Guess I felt a little more responsibility here since I knew the folks at the restaurant and had recommended it to the group. If it had been a business deal, it would have been not big deal. It seemed to me that some folks were taking advantage of the circumstances and that hurt a little.

Dave

Alan said:
I try to ignore it and simply make up the difference when I get stiffed. But, when I see the same guy conveniently going to the restroom at bill time, never picking up the tab while ordering the filet, and other such crassness I either avoid him or work a little conspiracy to hang him with a tab to even things out. I enjoy treating my friends, I won't be taken advantage of.

Oh, I put in my share - and then some - for the meal. I just don't want to be stuck settling the bill.

Somehow pools of funds for a meal check are like socks in the dryer. Everyone says they put the correct amount in, yet you're always short just a bit, and no one seems to know where it goes.

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks y'all. Sounds like this is a much more common malady than I had thought. Next time I'll chip in my part and silently watch as others take the tab and run with it. Guess I felt a little more responsibility here since I knew the folks at the restaurant and had recommended it to the group. If it had been a business deal, it would have been not big deal. It seemed to me that some folks were taking advantage of the circumstances and that hurt a little.

Dave

in your sitch, since you knew the waiter, you have a point. no matter what, they would have thought less of you afterwards had to walked away (or had the table given a bad tip and so on).

wsuffa said:
Somehow pools of funds for a meal check are like socks in the dryer. Everyone says they put the correct amount in, yet you're always short just a bit, and no one seems to know where it goes.
Seems to me that when I was in my 20s and just starting out in a career, this was very common when going out with friends. Then, say in the late 20s/early 30s everyone started making a little money (and perhaps wanted to show it off) and there would actually be a little extra. Then families (and airplanes, boats and mortgages) came along, and now we're back to shortages again.

Sometimes we just pick someone to itemize it.
"Ok Liz, your turn to do that."
"Bill, you had the..."
and we just keep it all out in the open. Never short, and never an issue of anyone bailing to the bathroom, because when they come back it's "Oh, Chip you owe $35, nice try on sneaking out though."

Appetizers we just split evenly, or more often than not one person will just say, "Hey put that on my share." This is also a pretty wide spread of income we are talking about in that group, and there has never been an issue of being put on the spot. If someone wants to welch on their share, it will all be out in the open, and I guess that's their problem.

So, who wants to go to dinner?

Dave Siciliano said:

Dave

Dave, the way I look at it is it is just one more manifestation of a 'people problem'. I think you are right to be concerned--feel responsible--because of your familiarity with the restaurant. That you selected the restaurant is beside the point. Think of it as not burning your bridges and the restaurant will speak favorably of you for you having shown your concern. OTOH, this was an opportunity for folks to fly their true colors, guess who you won't be having dinner with next time. Just because of a couple bucks.

Well, based on what's been posted, I would be comfortable with all here save one! The rest of us would have to watch the escape avenues!! :cheerswine:

Let's somehow do this; Gaston's next year or whereever!!

Dave

Dave;

I do remember not long ago I was asked to go a "Dinner"by two families in Washington DC area. It was in Tyson's Corner out near the spook house (CIA). I remember so well the two families kept looking at me as if I was the cause of the Bill. I was the guest and gosh I felt some very sharp pains in my stomach but they went away for I decided to just pay for I feel it is best to just get on. I do remember the eyes were low as I paid the bill and lots of heads were low as we left the resturant. No I did not get upset but I decided that it is best to be some sort of gentlman and just file it away and not go back. I have declined to repeated invites ever since.

Lesson learned

I hope I can see Gastons this year. It sounds like a lot of fun.

John J

A whole group of people go out for dinner. You plan to split it even. No Alcohol counted. You beer, you pay for it. You will find a bunch of people order appetizers and soup. Some pick their dinner by the right side of the menu. Some will always get what they always get.
Another example... You pay. Half shop down the right side. Most over drink.
Another example... They pay. Most never ever count their drinks, soft or otherwize. Of the ones left, none will include tax or tip.
The best is to split even without alcohol. Appoint someone to be the collector. No one moves until the bill +20% is covered.

wsuffa said:
Oh, I put in my share - and then some - for the meal. I just don't want to be stuck settling the bill.

I apologize Bill. I truly wan't referring to you. I can give names( I won't) on collegues who dissapear without putting in thier share regularly. Live and learn...

Cheapness happens. Sometimes I'm awed . I usually try to split the bill evenly among the diners. As often as someone cheaps out we will get an excess. Often my friends and I will jump to pick up the bill. Those are the kind of friends I have. I often wonder if the cheapos feel guilty about it.

On the other hand we used to go out with another couple for dinner. I think it is expected when two couples go to dinner you split the bill 50/50 My wife and I would usually order salade dinner perhaps a glass of wine and coffee. These friends got Salad, appitizers, The most expensive dinner ie the surf and truf for two a few cocktails and top shelf wine then bottled water and desert with an after dinner drink. The bill would come and they'd say lets just split it. Boy that irked me. I'm not just going to order a ton of food to just make it even.

AdamZ said:
Cheapness happens. Sometimes I'm awed . I usually try to split the bill evenly among the diners. As often as someone cheaps out we will get an excess. Often my friends and I will jump to pick up the bill. Those are the kind of friends I have. I often wonder if the cheapos feel guilty about it.

On the other hand we used to go out with another couple for dinner. I think it is expected when two couples go to dinner you split the bill 50/50 My wife and I would usually order salade dinner perhaps a glass of wine and coffee. These friends got Salad, appitizers, The most expensive dinner ie the surf and truf for two a few cocktails and top shelf wine then bottled water and desert with an after dinner drink. The bill would come and they'd say lets just split it. Boy that irked me. I'm not just going to order a ton of food to just make it even.

There are users, abusers, and producers. We all know who we/they are. Sigh.

Geez, I wasn't intending to chip in here, but in reading all the responses I'm floored that this has been a common experience. Not that I go out with larger groups of people that often, but when I do there's usually too much money chipped in. The totallers either have to give some back or the wait staff gets a big tip. :dunno:

When my wife who is an Exective Chef opened her own upscale restaurant she did not put a mandatory tip level on the menu. At first the staff was upset but in a short time they learned that they made a lot more by it not being there. We both hate it when we go out and eat and see it on the menu. Restaurants do a diservice to there staff and customers when they mandate the tip. Just my 2 cents.

Back