Split / Join threads

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
Chuck / Brian (et. al)

I attempted to split a thread (Citabrias... in the acro forum) into two threads. I did OK except I missed the first post - the question from Toby that started the new thread. Now I want to take that post and put it in the new thread. How to do this?

Should I split this single post into a third temporary thread and then join it with the new thread? Will it sequence it correctly or will I just make a bigger mess?

Chip

(ps... this is why the don't give sharp toys to small children)

I know just enough to be dangerous on the thread tools.

I would attempt to figure it out but would probably crash the hosting service, causing a massive upheaval in the Force, and a huge BGP update cascading through the Internet. Everyone's connection would die or slow down to a crawl. My name would be Mud on the Internet and I'd have to go into hiding as some script-kiddie buys 10,000 pairs of left shoes (or is that just 20,000 left shoes?) on my already maxed out credit cards.

It's just not worth it, dude. ;)

Brian Austin said:
I know just enough to be dangerous on the thread tools.

I would attempt to figure it out but would probably crash the hosting service, causing a massive upheaval in the Force, and a huge BGP update cascading through the Internet. Everyone's connection would die or slow down to a crawl. My name would be Mud on the Internet and I'd have to go into hiding as some script-kiddie buys 10,000 pairs of left shoes (or is that just 20,000 left shoes?) on my already maxed out credit cards.

OK. I thought something bad might happen. I gave it a try. Yes, if you specify the correct thread to merge it will work just fine and puts the posts in the proper sequence.

However, if you specify the wrong thread it will also merge it. Chuck - HELP! My copy/paste failed me and I merged one of your posts into the new thread. I'd try to put it back where it belongs but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't go very well. Here is the thread: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/showthread.php?t=977

Chip <-- not allowed to use thread tools for three months :no:

Last edited:
Oh so THIS is how my thread got merged with that acrobatic thread!

Chip - you chose to experiment with the tools on actual threads. Now you get to figure out how to fix it. :)

Suggestion: make a few test threads, and play with them to see how it works.

Meanwhile I'll sit back here and have me some wine and chortle at you. :-D

Muhahahahah!

Greebo said:
Oh so THIS is how my thread got merged with that acrobatic thread!

Chip - you chose to experiment with the tools on actual threads. Now you get to figure out how to fix it. :)

Suggestion: make a few test threads, and play with them to see how it works.

Meanwhile I'll sit back here and have me some wine and chortle at you. :-D

Muhahahahah!

Oh man! I've had two Crown & Cokes. Are you sure you want me to do this?

Well sure - if you follow my suggestion of making test threads first. :)

Mess up anyone elses threads, however, and you'll have them to answer to. :)

OK. I know how to split that post out into a distinct thread, and how to merge it back into a thread, but I don't know how to find out what thread it came from in the first place. I thought the thread ID was 1, but that doesn't provide any thread.

Hints are welcome at this point.

Chip

(Darn that Brian. I wish he hadn't made this mess!)

gibbons said:
OK. I know how to split that post out into a distinct thread, and how to merge it back into a thread, but I don't know how to find out what thread it came from in the first place. I thought the thread ID was 1, but that doesn't provide any thread.
You have done well, Grasshoppa!

The problem is posts and threads are different. A Post is what you read - the text and all that. While Threads are simply links that tie those posts together.

When you merge one thread (call it thread A) into another (thread B), thread A ceases to exist because thread B now has all of the posts from thread A. You can not find thread A anymore because it has been deleted.

On the other hand, if you split posts out of A and make a new thread C, and then merge thread C into B, A still exists and still has posts. B has its old posts plus the posts from thread C (which originally came from A) and C ceases to exist.

Back