SPL to PPL question

aanderson81

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
aanderson81
I just want to confirm, I am applying for my medical to go from Sport to Private Pilot and I just wanted to confirm that when i apply through medxpress I do not need to select "Medical and student cert" as my SPL is sufficient to train for my PPL with instructor signoff?

You don't need anything at all to train, except for ID.

The student pilot certificate is for solo. Is any solo required for your conversion?

You don't need anything at all to train, except for ID.

The student pilot certificate is for solo. Is any solo required for your conversion?

You need more solo hours for the private, and if you are training in a new plane that isn't light sport eligible, you would need another solo sign-off from your CFI. That's how my CFI did it for me when I went from sport to private.

Yes, but the private pilot solo requirements could have already been done on a light sport. They only require a single engine airplane. There is no requirement to do that "in the plane you're training in."

Last edited:
No additional solo time is necessary (provided you're staying within the same category). You'll need dual instruction and how much depends on whether your primary sport pilot instruction was done by a sport pilot instructor or a regular CFI. Mostly you've got night instruction to be done because this isn't part of the sport pilot requirements.

No additional solo time is necessary (provided you're staying within the same category). You'll need dual instruction and how much depends on whether your primary sport pilot instruction was done by a sport pilot instructor or a regular CFI. Mostly you've got night instruction to be done because this isn't part of the sport pilot requirements.

But Assuming I want to solo, can I solo on SPL with solo endorsement in a non SP plane?

You need more solo hours for the private, and if you are training in a new plane that isn't light sport eligible, you would need another solo sign-off from your CFI. That's how my CFI did it for me when I went from sport to private.

I am pretty sure I have everything more or less I need except instrument training and maybe a little bit more night. I did some dual night and simulated instrument as part of my SPL. But I would probably like to be able to have some solo time in the plane that i plan on flying going forward with before taking the exam.

I am pretty sure I have everything more or less I need except instrument training and maybe a little bit more night. I did some dual night and simulated instrument as part of my SPL. But I would probably like to be able to have some solo time in the plane that i plan on flying going forward with before taking the exam.

That's smart to get more solo time, and my understanding is you would need a solo endorsement if that plane isn't a light sport plane. I went from a cub to a 150, so I needed the endorsement.

That's smart to get more solo time, and my understanding is you would need a solo endorsement if that plane isn't a light sport plane. I went from a cub to a 150, so I needed the endorsement.

But no student cert, just an endorsement to your SPL? I assume this is the case and makes sense to me, but I just want to make sure there isnt something unique to the SPL which would prevent this and require another student cert.

But no student cert, just an endorsement to your SPL? I assume this is the case and makes sense to me, but I just want to make sure there isnt something unique to the SPL which would prevent this and require another student cert.

My medical says "Medical Certificate Third Class and Student Pilot Certificate" on it, so they come together. You don't need a second student cert for the private if that is what you are wondering.

My medical says "Medical Certificate Third Class and Student Pilot Certificate" on it, so they come together. You don't need a second student cert for the private if that is what you are wondering.

They only come together if you check the "student pilot certificate" box on your medical form. Otherwise, it just says "third class medical" (but I suggest doing second class just because you can and the standards are really, really similar and the cost identical).

They only come together if you check the "student pilot certificate" box on your medical form. Otherwise, it just says "third class medical" (but I suggest doing second class just because you can and the standards are really, really similar and the cost identical).

I did not know that.

I'm curious asking about the converse,

Why not get the Third Class and Student Certificate? It should not invalidate your SPL and you'll have the flexibility to fly your sport plane and any approved solo. No extra cost or hoops involved.

(Just a curiosity for me)

I wouldn't recommend that.

Eyesight is diffrent, couple other things too.

Besides, he's only a SPL soon to be PPL, what does he need a 2nd class (Commerical ops) medical for?

Because the appropriate solo endorsement goes in the logbook.

The one on the student pilot certificate is for category and class. The OP is already rated for single engine land airplanes. The one in the logbook is for make and model, which the OP is not rated in unless it is an LSA.

I'm curious asking about the converse,

Why not get the Third Class and Student Certificate? It should not invalidate your SPL and you'll have the flexibility to fly your sport plane and any approved solo. No extra cost or hoops involved.

(Just a curiosity for me)

If it in fact does not cause any issues then I could do that. Its just one of those things that you can apply common sense to either way, but I couldn't find anything clearly says you don't need a student cert if you have an SPL or that getting a student cert isnt an issue if you already have an SPL. I assume either case should be valid, but i try not to make assumptions when the FAA is involved.

If it in fact does not cause any issues then I could do that. Its just one of those things that you can apply common sense to either way, but I couldn't find anything clearly says you don't need a student cert if you have an SPL or that getting a student cert isnt an issue if you already have an SPL. I assume either case should be valid, but i try not to make assumptions when the FAA is involved.

That's probably the smartest thing you will learn as a pilot!

I wouldn't recommend that.

Eyesight is diffrent, couple other things too.

Besides, he's only a SPL soon to be PPL, what does he need a 2nd class (Commerical ops) medical for?

ONLY eyesight is different. And it requires 20/20, not a very difficult bar. And if it isn't met but the third class 20/40 is, he can just get a third class at that time at no additional cost.

The cost and effort is identical. After the second class expires, it becomes a third class.

So, no additional effort, cost, or risk. A slim chance that he might get a commercial certificate before it expires, in which case there might be some advantage.

I've done this twice now….my second class expires in January, and becomes third class for another year. I'll renew it in 2017 unless I get a commercial certificate before then. There really is no reason not to do this.

ONLY eyesight is different. And it requires 20/20, not a very difficult bar. And if it isn't met but the third class 20/40 is, he can just get a third class at that time at no additional cost.

The cost and effort is identical. After the second class expires, it becomes a third class.

So, no additional effort, cost, or risk. A slim chance that he might get a commercial certificate before it expires, in which case there might be some advantage.

I've done this twice now….my second class expires in January, and becomes third class for another year. I'll renew it in 2017 unless I get a commercial certificate before then. There really is no reason not to do this.

Very slim chance.

Besides does he want to fly for a living?

Very slim chance.

Besides does he want to fly for a living?

Not the only reason to get a commercial.

Among other things, it allows 100% reimbursement for "incidental" flying for a business (with some restrictions). It's also a prerequisite for flight instruction.

Getting paid to fly is not the same thing as flying for a living. For instance, hauling up skydivers or towing gliders on weekends would be the former. There are a number of tow pilots near here who tow for expenses only, plus the occasional free glider ride. That's not a living, but it's a commercial operation per the FAA.

Back