Spitfire Down story

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Can anyone tell me if the info in this is true; that Ireland was neutral and interned Brits, Canadians, Americans with Germans?

Attachments

• Spitfire down.doc
    111.5 KB · Views: 22
I don't know about Ireland but a friend of my Dads was shot down by the Germans and interned by the Russians for a few months, and the Russians were suposed to be our allies.

I don't know about Ireland but a friend of my Dads was shot down by the Germans and interned by the Russians for a few months, and the Russians were suposed to be our allies.

Ugh, don't get me started about the Russians during WWII. It wasn't just the Germans who invaded Poland in 1939. Does the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact ring a bell? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that was a funny thing. It had more to do with asserting a relatively new found freedom from British rule than anything else. The Channel Islands were very interesting during the war from the stories I was told.

Neutrality was the official lie in some of those countries at that time. When US bomber crewmen and Luftwaffe pilots bailed out over Switzerland, the US guys would be interned and somehow the Luftwaffe guys would find their way back into Germany pretty quickly. The Swiss may have been officially neutral, but they were very Nazi sympathetic.

Likewise when the occasional B-24 or B-17 couldn't make it across the Atlantic on a ferry flight and had to land on a beach in western Ireland, the crew would be "interned" for the train ride as far as Dublin where they were put on the next boat to Great Britain. The crew of one B-24 was held for a whole week and part of their prisoners rations included a fifth of whiskey per day for the crew. They had to be repatriated so that they wouldn't drink the county dry.

Last edited:
Back