Spirit of Freedom

TRocket

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Uncle Jesse
Pretty cool experience today. They had a Douglas C54 (DC-4) at JQF today, one of 12 still flying in the world. This one was part of the Berlin Airlift back in the late 40's. This was also their reunion, they bused in some of the guys that actually flew the missions back in the day (though I missed that part, was there earlier in the day and got back just when the buses were pulling out). They had free tours of the plane and a museum set up inside of the plane. Really cool experience, glad to throw some cash in the tip jar to keep the thing flying. Here are a couple pictures.

20170928_125125.jpg 20170928_124855.jpg 20170928_123938.jpg

Great pictures..Thanks...!!!

I got to jumpseat in a couple C-54s in Alaska years back, but they sure didn't look as good as this one.

Pretty cool experience today. They had a Douglas C54 (DC-4) at JQF today, one of 12 still flying in the world. This one was part of the Berlin Airlift back in the late 40's. This was also their reunion, they bused in some of the guys that actually flew thet missions back in the day (though I missed that part, was there earlier in the day and got back just when the buses were pulling out). They had free tours of the plane and a museum set up inside of the plane. Really cool experience, glad to throw some cash in the tip jar to keep the thing flying. Here are a couple pictures.

View attachment 56695 View attachment 56696 View attachment 56697

Love those old 4 motor birds! When I went into the Air Force in the late 60s, AF was still flying those and the C-131 (Convair 240/340/440 series) as well as few other prop planes. Coolest I saw was a C-133, huge plane until the C5. Flew on a C-121 (military Connie) once from Zweibrucken to Torrejon Spain.

Last edited:
Back