Spirit Flight 165, Airbus A319, Uncontained Engine Failure

No Joy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
No Joy
Spirit Flight 165, Airbus A319, Engine Failure

Spirit Flight 165, Airbus A319 Uncontained Engine Failure

Passengers said the engine blew up, they saw fire and the whole plane was shaking, smoke started to fill up the cabin. NTSB said it was an uncontained engine failure. A spokesperson for Spirit said the captain described a "normal landing".

It's normal to land with an engine shut down? :wink2:

Official: Jet had 'uncontained' engine failure
http://news.yahoo.com/official-jet-had-uncontained-engine-failure-202408036.html
The NTSB recalled crash investigators from furloughs to respond and will send them to Dallas. It will examine the plane’s flight recorders as part of its probe, Zoeller said.

Last edited:
In the Transport Category world, kinda. Yes. It's designed not to be a life-or-death emergency in most cases.
Of course it's probably not life-threatening. I think it is funny that the passenger account seems hysterical. Yet the airline is in damage control mode trying to play it it off as a normal landing, but I find such a response hilarious as it indicates that it is normal to land with one engine. Do they have that many problems? It's normal for them to have emergency landings?
:rofl:

Last edited:
Self-loading cargo has a tendency toward having emotional problems that the non-self-loading cargo rarely does.

By the way, you can have a "normal landing" in a single with the engine out. Weasel words. :)

So a news report says a spokesman quoted the Captain. As I see it, that is three times removed from the real source. IOW, it is possible that the Captain actually said something totally different.

Having said that, a single engine approach and landing in and of itself is not that big a deal. Definitely not "normal", but . . .

So a news report says a spokesman quoted the Captain. As I see it, that is three times removed from the real source. IOW, it is possible that the Captain actually said something totally different.

Having said that, a single engine approach and landing in and of itself is not that big a deal. Definitely not "normal", but . . .
Agreed. I get a laugh by the spokesman's spinning Faux pas.

Is thrust reverse used on a single engine landing?

To the extent that directional control can be maintained, yes. Having said that, I can get pretty aggressive with reverse thrust on a SE landing in the 777 and not have any problems.

Might want to change your title.....per the NTSB release the initial inspection indicates this was NOT an 'uncontained' failure.

Might want to change your title.....per the NTSB release the initial inspection indicates this was NOT an 'uncontained' failure.
As indicated in the original post it allegedly was a NTSB official that claimed there was an uncontained failure. I can’t change the title of the thread, tried before on other threads.

A National Transportation Safety Board official says a Spirit Airlines jet bound for Atlanta sustained an engine failure before safely returning to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.

The official says it was an "uncontained" failure. That means broken pieces and parts of the engine escaped the outer engine housing, an unusual and especially serious occurrence.
I changed the title. However apparently it takes a mod, to change the title for the main menu.

Last edited:
I was on a Southwest flight out of Oakland about 7 years ago where the left engine experienced a rather abrupt but contained failure. Flames and smoke out the back of the engine and a lot of vibration for about 5 seconds until it was shut down. Happened at about 10,000' over SFO, circled down for a SE landing at OAK and was on another flight in about an hour. Only one FA didn't want to get back on the flight, the pax were fine. I asked the Captain if it was easier in real life than the sim, and he said the sim was harder. All the pax got a free SWA R/T ticket out of the experience.

Back