Spirit Airlines and Carry-On Luggage & Fees Question

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
I'm flying to LA in a couple weeks and I am planning on taking Spirit Airlines. I am planning on taking a carry-on luggage with me (not talking about the free personal item that's 18 x 14 x 8 in.).

So how strictly enforced are their carry-on baggage size (22 x 18 x 10 in.)? The length of the luggage is barely over the limit by one inch.

Also I am planning on paying the $45 carry-on bag fee per flight before I check-in online, but it says they could check it in as a checked-bag if the carry-on cannot be safely stowed on the flight. If that happens after I pay the carry-on fee and I am at the gate when they tell me that, would I have to shell out even more money (like $100 as I've read online or $65 for my particular flight) or would they even refund me $5 because checking in the 1st checked bag is $40 when you do it before online check in?

Last edited:
I am dealing with the same thing, except about the free personal 18x14x8 item (tough to find something with wheels that meets the 8" dimension). My gate agent friend says you have to assume the worst (gate agent just broke up with his boyfriend, etc.) and that they will be strict about compliance.

If they force you to check a bag through no fault of your own ("We've just received notice the overhead bins are full . . . :rolleyes:) it is a no-cost situation. If they offer to refund you $5, I'll give you the other $40, delivered by my unicorn.

I flew them once a few years ago. They were not measuring every bag. I did buy a carry on just for that trip. The one I had was just an inch or two to big even though it was ok for any other airline I have flown.

I am dealing with the same thing, except about the free personal 18x14x8 item (tough to find something with wheels that meets the 8" dimension). My gate agent friend says you have to assume the worst (gate agent just broke up with his boyfriend, etc.) and that they will be strict about compliance.

If they force you to check a bag through no fault of your own ("We've just received notice the overhead bins are full . . . :rolleyes:) it is a no-cost situation. If they offer to refund you $5, I'll give you the other $40, delivered by my unicorn.

I see. Thanks for the advice! And yes the personal item dimensions I had in my OP was a typo and I edited it. Yes it's hard to find a personal item that fits the 8". I have a high school/college Jansport backpack that if I stuff things in it would be over 8" in depth.

Back