Spins! - Thanks, Rich Stowell!

qbynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Qbynewbie
Since getting back to flight lessons last Summer, I've been interested in learning more about spins -- not so much in terms of wanting to do them as in wanting to know how to recover from them.

I found and memorized PARE early on. It made sense, from a logical point of view, which made it easier to remember. At various times while doing other things (like driving down the highway ;)), I would run through the procedure. I want it to be as automatic as possible prior to getting spin training. (I fully intend to get training in spin recovery and other similar topics from a qualified CFI after I complete the PPL.)

The one thing that I've always been unsure of though, was how to tell for sure which way the plane was spinning. I've read descriptions of spins and hints about the opposite rudder being the one that is stiffer or heavier, but it all sounded sort of vague. There was nothing there that I could really hang on to.

But I just received a copy of Rich's Emergency Maneuver Training book. Of course, I turned immediately to spins to see if the answer to my question was there.

Yes! He provides three ways of identifying the opposite rudder, which he makes clear is really opposite to the direction of YAW.

First, he tells me that the one thing I had always thought I might be able to depend on -- the slip-skid ball on the Turn Coordinator -- was undependable and should be ignored. Okay, one down.

Next, though, he throws me not one but three life preservers:

1. On the Turn Coordinator, the symbolic airplane leans in the direction of yaw in both upright and inverted spins. "Yes!" I say to myself. Step on the rudder opposite the direction in which the airplane leans (or the needle deflects in a turn and bank indicator). Cool!

2. Change your field of vision and sight straight down the nose. (I just doubt I'm going to be calm enough to do this but ok I'll play along...) Looking beyond, the ground will "flow" past the nose like a river, in the direction opposite the direction of yaw. So "go with the flow" as he puts it and step on the rudder in the same direction. If it's a left spin, the ground will be "flowing" to the right and we step on the right rudder. Hmmm...

3. Relax your feet, get both feet off the rudders where they have been unconsciously locked since the plane started spinning (!), feel for the heavier one and step on it.

OK, I've got it. I prefer the steps in the order listed. #1 is my first line of defense, #2 is next and then #3.

I hope I never enter an unplanned spin but, thanks to Rich and his book, I now have one more tool in my bag of tricks in case I find myself facing that situation.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of what seems like a terrific book!

Here's a link to his site and the shop where you can buy the book.

(Cross-posted at The Purple Board)

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of what seems like a terrific book!
So, Brian, I didn't steer you wrong? ;)

The answer to the question that you had originally posted on the purple board:

At some point, I fully intend to get some formal spin training. Until then, thinking about PARE will have to be better than nothing.

But I realized that I had no equivalent for being upside down. The 747 has just passed overhead and our Cessna 172 or Piper 140 or whatever has just been rolled upside down. What do we do? I mean, after we scream?

Is there some equivalent to PARE that a private pilot can store in his back pocket that will help him get out of an extreme unusual attitude that involves being inverted in a typical gentle 4-place plane?

Thanks!

is explained quite well in Chapter 8. :)

Brian,

It's hard to get a lesson with Rich as his schedule fills up for months in advance but you can easily go up with instructors he's trained for spin training at CP Aviation in Santa Paula http://www.cpaviation.com/ next time you're in SoCal. If you have a weekend I can recommend Diane. She did my spin training and the next module of EMT, Rich did the last one. He is a damn good instructor.

Joe

Brian,

It's hard to get a lesson with Rich as his schedule fills up for months in advance but you can easily go up with instructors he's trained for spin training at CP Aviation in Santa Paula http://www.cpaviation.com/ next time you're in SoCal. If you have a weekend I can recommend Diane. She did my spin training and the next module of EMT, Rich did the last one. He is a damn good instructor.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. That would be great. If the darned weather out here would let me get these XCs out of the way, I might actually be looking at a checkride sometime in the next few weeks. (I know, hard to believe, isn't it! :D)

Once I'm past that, I really do want to do the spin training. Any excuse to go to LA is a good excuse! :D

Brian,

It's hard to get a lesson with Rich as his schedule fills up for months in advance but you can easily go up with instructors he's trained for spin training at CP Aviation in Santa Paula http://www.cpaviation.com/ next time you're in SoCal. If you have a weekend I can recommend Diane. She did my spin training and the next module of EMT, Rich did the last one. He is a damn good instructor. Joe
If things work out, I'm up for EMT training with Rich in September! :D :D :D

Once I'm past that, I really do want to do the spin training. Any excuse to go to LA is a good excuse! :D
Brian, if you decide to go anywhere else for upset recovery/spin training, let me know.

I have had a few less-than-positive experiences with aerobatic instructors so I wouldn't want you to end up with any of them. :)

First, he tells me that the one thing I had always thought I might be able to depend on -- the slip-skid ball on the Turn Coordinator -- was undependable and should be ignored. Okay, one down.

That's correct. The ball is useful for staying out of spins but not for recovery.

Next, though, he throws me not one but three life preservers:

1. On the Turn Coordinator, the symbolic airplane leans in the direction of yaw in both upright and inverted spins. "Yes!" I say to myself. Step on the rudder opposite the direction in which the airplane leans (or the needle deflects in a turn and bank indicator). Cool!

2. Change your field of vision and sight straight down the nose. (I just doubt I'm going to be calm enough to do this but ok I'll play along...) Looking beyond, the ground will "flow" past the nose like a river, in the direction opposite the direction of yaw. So "go with the flow" as he puts it and step on the rudder in the same direction. If it's a left spin, the ground will be "flowing" to the right and we step on the right rudder. Hmmm...

3. Relax your feet, get both feet off the rudders where they have been unconsciously locked since the plane started spinning (!), feel for the heavier one and step on it.

OK, I've got it. I prefer the steps in the order listed. #1 is my first line of defense, #2 is next and then #3.

Rather than stick to a specific sequence of recovery techniques I recommend you apply them based on the situation. A spin in IMC or anytime you can't easily see anything out the front calls for #1. If you can see something useful (a small cloud or some features on the ground etc) then #2 is the most reliable considering that the turn rate gyro may have failed (if you were flying along with an S-Tec autopilot that might be why you're spinning although this is pretty unlikely). Also I'd be far more reluctant to rely on a TC than a Turn and Slip because the TC incorporates roll rate into the presentation and until the spin stabilizes the roll rate might overwhelm the yaw rate and cause you to apply the wrong correction initially. I do agree that #3 should be the last resort. I've flown at least two airplanes that had no asymmetrical feel at all to the rudder in a spin and I'd be very reluctant to trust my perception of leg force when my adrenaline is flowing as fast as the fuel into my engine.

In any case, one thing you must be careful about is changing your control inputs during recovery. More than one pilot has been killed because they were impatient WRT the recovery and switched control positions when the recovery didn't happen instantly.

If things work out, I'm up for EMT training with Rich in September! :D :D :D
That's cool Tom. Let me know when, after a few days with Rich you'll consider straight and level an unusual attitude and maybe you'll enjoy a short hop for lunch.

Joe

Joe, I will absolutely let you know! And I'll certainly be up for a "short hop"! :)

um, assuming I still know where my stomach is after flying with Rich... :eek: :(

Back