"Spins" in a Cardinal RG

Most of the stall during low-pass stuff that I've seen always appears to be the result of the pilot getting too slow and just stalling--not generally an accelerated stall at high speed.

Too many folks do a "low pass" by dropping their gear..and their flaps..and coming in at landing like speeds...which just makes no sense..and sets you up to stall.

Wouldn't a Cross Controlled situation be called a Slip? Rudder input opposite aileron? Or is a Skid also considered cross controlled?
A demostrated cross-controlled stall is always a skid because you're required to have excess rudder on the inside of the turn (ailerons opposite the turn of course). You could have say left aileron into a left turn and excess rudder to the right and get the plane to stall in a slip, but that is not what the PTS wants.

A demostrated cross-controlled stall is always a skid because you're required to have excess rudder on the inside of the turn (ailerons opposite the turn of course). You could have say left aileron into a left turn and excess rudder to the right and get the plane to stall in a slip, but that is not what the PTS wants.

That condition is not a slip, it is a skid, and it is not cross controlled, it is over controlled. It is an uncoordinated turn, but it is not cross controlled or a slip. A slip is a cross controlled condition and will always and only result of opposite application of rudder and aileron. I think you maybe getting confused with carrying rudder in a power on stall to stay coordinated while keeping the wings level with slipping and skidding. I can slip the plane wings level nose high just by not carrying enough rudder rather than opposite.

Last edited:
I have yanked 3gs hundreds of times a day from an altitude of 3'AGL to clear the trees instantly rolling into a leeward turn while still pulling, then swapping rudder and aileron while still pulling, pushing the turn so at the top I'll be coming though the top of the turn at levels of energy that would take me below stall if I were pulling 1 G then diving back at the trees to pull out at 3-4 gs 3' off the ground. I have ocasonally come back with branches in the gear, but never was near a stall/spin even when skidding at the top of the turn.

That looks like crop dusting. If so, does your shifting load in the hopper ever mess things up?

Rick

That looks like crop dusting. If so, does your shifting load in the hopper ever mess things up?

Rick

Not really in flight, the only time it gets a chance to slosh is if I skid the turn hard at the top, and then I just let the plane follow along the ballistic trajectory of the load and catch it at the bottom in the pull out before I open the spray valve. Where it does bite everyone in a while, especially with a partially full hopper with a bunch of free surface, is if you get a swing early on T/O it can help bring you around.

Back