Spins and un-spinning your head

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I read this comment about spins in another forum and am curious. "....when you do that many (10) turns in a spin, the spin gets tighter and faster as it progresses and your vision usually keeps “spinning” after recovery. And, for some reason, if you go directly into a G-maneuver, it seems to help get rid of that spinning in your head."

I understand why this problem occurs with multi-turn spins, but wonder why pulling several G's immediately after the spin recovery would "clear your head"? Do any of you have experience with doing that?

Maybe G-manuevers will stop the fluid from spinning in your semicircular canals. Just a wag.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Maybe G-manuevers will stop the fluid from spinning in your semicircular canals. Just a wag.

Sounds like a good guess to me. I would think that with adequate g force, the liquid will be forced to settle in one area of the canals, assuming that said canals aren't totally full and/or their shape changes during high g loads.

Diana said:
I read this comment about spins in another forum and am curious. "....when you do that many (10) turns in a spin, the spin gets tighter and faster as it progresses and your vision usually keeps “spinning” after recovery. And, for some reason, if you go directly into a G-maneuver, it seems to help get rid of that spinning in your head."
Well, this statement is suspect to me because the spin doesn't get "tighter and faster as it progresses." After the incipient phase (2 or so turns in most airplanes) the spin stabilizes. There may be a small periodic cycling of attitude, but the spin reaches a point where it is what it is, whether you spin one more turn or 100. This leads me to think the second part of the statement may also be perception rather than reality, but I have no first hand experience on which to base my opinion.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Dave, I wondered if that might be the case.

Greg Bockelman said:
Gee Ken, time to go do spins. :yes: :rofl:
That is to say, I've not done enough consecutive spins to get the effect Diana mentions in her original post, funny guy! :rolleyes:

Ken Ibold said:
That is to say, I've not done enough consecutive spins to get the effect Diana mentions in her original post, funny guy! :rolleyes:

My point was that maybe it is time to do that many consecutive. LOL. Yeah, I am kind of funny sometimes. :D

Ken Ibold said:
Well, this statement is suspect to me because the spin doesn't get "tighter and faster as it progresses." After the incipient phase (2 or so turns in most airplanes) the spin stabilizes. There may be a small periodic cycling of attitude, but the spin reaches a point where it is what it is, whether you spin one more turn or 100. This leads me to think the second part of the statement may also be perception rather than reality, but I have no first hand experience on which to base my opinion.

I wondered about that too as IME there's little change in spin characteristics after 2-4 turns. I think 10 turns is about the most I've ever done in the same spin and I don't recall feeling the slightest bit dizzy afterwards. Soon as the ground stops turning I feel fine.

Back