Spinner manufacturing

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
So how do they make aluminum spinners? My googlefu failed me, can't find on YT either.

I wonder if there is an automated method? Ie for the thousands of spinners on Cessnas etc.

I wonder if there is an automated method? Ie for the thousands of spinners on Cessnas etc.
I once looked at buying a spinning company. One of the things they emphasized was the skills of the craftsman. IIRC their main competition was deep draw presses (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9-M5_Hd-4A) but I think there are issues with varying metal thickness. I don't recall them saying anything about the spinning process itself being automated but for some level of simple parts that has to be an option.

I did a little bit of metal spinning in high school metals class. We spun aluminum salad bowls on a wood lathe. I'm not sure today's kids get these kinds of experiences in school anymore. I signed up for the various "industrial arts" every year. In addition to metal and wood, we also had a plastics class and I produced various plastic products using different methods. Those classes were the bright spots in junior high and high school for me.

a couple of questions:

-does the metal always become thinner as it is worked? (and the equivalent radius of the original disk greater than at the beginning?)
-is control of metal thickness done 'by feel'? I wonder what the usual end result is? Ie within 0.00x" from tip to base?
-any videos of it being done by a CNC machine as suggested elsewhere?

Back