spine surgery and sinus surgery affecting 3rd class medical?

B

Backbreaker

I've had two surgeries I wanted to bring up since I need to apply for my 3rd class medical soon as a new PPL. I'm in my mid 30s.

About three years ago I had spine surgery (discectomy and laminectomy at L5/S1 to relieve pressure on sciatic nerve). The surgery went extremely well, and I've been symptom and pain free pretty much since I woke up from surgery.

About six years ago I had balloon sinuplasty surgery in my sinuses to help with recurring sinus infections (I was getting about four of them a year). The surgery went extremely well and I haven't had a sinus infection ever since.

I don't take any medications and don't have any chronic conditions. I just wanted to know if I should expect any difficulty getting my 3rd class medical, OR if I'll have to submit any kind of extra documents or patient records because of these surgeries?

I am not an AME but I did have neck surgery last year to relieve pressure on my spinal cord. My surgeon is a pilot and I asked him about the FAA and he said he didn’t see any issues with it in fact he had just recently done this procedure on a airline pilot and they were back flying in a month. Pay an AME for a consult prior to medical.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back