Spin training

Not a trick question in the slightest.

Can I just ask here how you train in a spin when your aircraft is not approved for them?

I fly a Piper warrior II, which is not approved for spins. It's a ways in the future for me, but when I need to learn spins, does one usually spend some time in the new plane getting to know the feel and controls?

Our club doesn't have that many planes, are C172s allowed to spin? If my main aircraft is low wing, is it better to also train spin in a low wing?

Which of the popular, most prominent types of GA are approved for spins?

Just very curious about this.

A 172 can be spun in the utility category.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

80 posts in and nobody suggested just keeping the wings level and finding a controller to talk to with a Mayday so they can help you figure out where the tops are and where the IMC weather ends and VMC begins... SMH. Toss a 7700 in there if you're bored.

I started taking lessons in the late 70's. I had been reading flying for years and it seemed like every 'Aftermath' involved a stall spin so I specifically wanted spin training. That was sometime after the FAA dropped the requirement so I had some problems finding an instructor willing to do the training.

I finally found a guy with a 59 150 that was certified for spins. He told me that he learned to fly in the navy and strongly supported the idea. Before he let me solo I had to do three turn spins ending on the same heading I started on and within some maximum altitude loss (can't remember for sure but think it was complete the three turns and recover within 1000').

Anyway, it was fun with the instructor and I soloed in less than 10 hours. The way I remember it I didn't think it was as much fun to spin solo for quite a while. I always figured that I didn't have to worry with the instructor along

I ran out of money and had to stop flying at 22 hours but I've had at least three times when flying with someone else where the pilot messed up an approach and I'm convinced that my reaction when it felt like it was starting to drop a wing saved us. All three times the pilot had overshot base to final and tried to bring it back with bottom rudder.

I finally got my license in 2003 and haven't done a spin since (not allowed in my Cardinal) but I think learning the process was a good idea. I haven't been an instructor so I don't feel qualified to say when the training should be given. Pre-solo worked well for me but a lot of things aren't done in training now that I went through because there were so many bad outcomes from some of those practices

Gary

For me, its kinda like why not? It is a skill that very likely will save your bacon one day, is fun to acquire and has no down side that I can think of.

Can I just ask here how you train in a spin when your aircraft is not approved for them?

I fly a Piper warrior II, which is not approved for spins. It's a ways in the future for me, but when I need to learn spins, does one usually spend some time in the new plane getting to know the feel and controls?

Our club doesn't have that many planes, are C172s allowed to spin? If my main aircraft is low wing, is it better to also train spin in a low wing?

Which of the popular, most prominent types of GA are approved for spins?

Just very curious about this.
Does your flight school have any other aircraft? I did my spin training in a Super Decathlon, but all of my training was completed in Cessna aircraft. The recovery procedure is the same for any airplane, although some require more or less control input to either enter the spin or recover from it.

Does your flight school have any other aircraft? I did my spin training in a Super Decathlon, but all of my training was completed in Cessna aircraft. The recovery procedure is the same for any airplane, although some require more or less control input to either enter the spin or recover from it.

Aquila A200, at least one c172, but I just realized...stupid of me, my CFI does acrobatics, and I've got to get more of the basics, but at some point I will ask him about it. I definitely want to learn recovery from spins. I'm sure ther is a way at my school.

For me, its kinda like why not? It is a skill that very likely will save your bacon one day, is fun to acquire and has no down side that I can think of.

It does have one. It makes you slightly sad if the aircraft you own isn't certified for spins. ;)

I'd just call folks who have C150/2s, I hear about folks spending big bucks to go to "upset training" schools to learn basic spins in crazy expensive planes like a Extra or a Pitts, which won't even translate, in control force, break, sight picture etc, as well into the 172 they'll be flying all the time when compared to a cheap little Cessna 150.
You can do spins in pre-restart 172s provided the back seat is empty and you satisfy more stringent W&B limits. In a 172N, it's under 2000 lb max gross weight. Unless the aircraft has an STC that prevents it.

But honestly, I think you'll gain as much at this stage from a falling leaf stall. The essence of spin recovery is that your rudder still works and your ailerons don't. A falling leaf will show that. And you can do those in an SP.

bouncing this thread up... not sure what happened to me but reached out to the CFI at KBJI and booked him for SPIN training tomorrow noon. if i drive back, i will post my experience here.
little nervous already ....

You can do spins in pre-restart 172s provided the back seat is empty and you satisfy more stringent W&B limits. In a 172N, it's under 2000 lb max gross weight. Unless the aircraft has an STC that prevents it.

But honestly, I think you'll gain as much at this stage from a falling leaf stall. The essence of spin recovery is that your rudder still works and your ailerons don't. A falling leaf will show that. And you can do those in an SP.

You can do spins in any model year 172.

OP said he's pre-solo. How about NO.

There's a time tested and true system of training pilots. Stick with that.

I did all my initial spin training pre-solo in a Cessna 150. After I was able to fly solo I used to go the practice area (which was over the water near a major local beach) climb the 150, put it into a spin and then see how many turns I could hold before I chickened out and initiated a recovery. Then climb and do it again. After a week of doing this every day my instructor finally told me I really had to work on some of the other numbered items in the Cessna Pilot curriculum. :D

bouncing this thread up... not sure what happened to me but reached out to the CFI at KBJI and booked him for SPIN training tomorrow noon. if i drive back, i will post my experience here.
little nervous already ....

Don't be. It'll be fun. And you'll expand your knowledge of stuff airplanes do naturally! ;)

OVC015

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Do it! Well worth it.

Just don't scream like a girl though. ;)

That is what I did. But no one around to hear it. I fly single seat or did.

What I find amusing or amazing. Folks "Men/woman" who want to control an airplane and airplanes can stall and spin, need to be told to learn how not only to recognize an onset of a stall/spin but to recover from a stall/spin. One of the very first things I did when learning to fly ultralights was read everything I could on this subject. I wanted to know what it took to get into one of these and what it took to get out of one of these. I then climbed into my single seat airplane and went for a spin.

After reading and rereading on the subject of stall/spins. I found it second nature or no thought needed to recover. Fly the airplane. Throttle, " stick neutral or forward a little" ailerons level, rudder opposite turn, elevator. What i found hard was doing the hammer head I was trying to do. Screwed that all up and ended up in a spin. It was a BLAST. But I will never do that again...alone.

Last edited:
Happens. No worries, you'll get 'er done.
Bigger bummer...Weather finally cleared up when I went there and then it dawned upon me that I can't get an endorsement there without going thru TSA loop...alien pilot . Spin training have to wait till my primary ppl is done

Bigger bummer...Weather finally cleared up when I went there and then it dawned upon me that I can't get an endorsement there without going thru TSA loop...alien pilot . Spin training have to wait till my primary ppl is done

Hmm. That blows. Well keep plugging on one the Private, it'll be over with sooner than you think.

And if you're planning spin training just toss on the 'chutes and make it into aerobatics while you're up there... :) Something to look forward to.

Hmm. That blows. Well keep plugging on one the Private, it'll be over with sooner than you think.

And if you're planning spin training just toss on the 'chutes and make it into aerobatics while you're up there... :) Something to look forward to.
I have it in my wishlist... specifically eileron roll . I was about to talk to some one in UND, but same rules apply. So need to hold off for now. Since I was there went up on a discovery flight in a 6 pack...world of difference...wish local school had one

I thought the alien rules were only about training for a certificate or rating. Spin training is not required for a private pilot certificate.

I thought the alien rules were only about training for a certificate or rating. Spin training is not required for a private pilot certificate.
The rules say the alien needs to be trained in a facility that has been approved by TSA. The process is, school needs to accept me, then TSA does their thing and gives the green light. So any training and teaching new maneuvers falls under that. Checked with the CFI there, he confirmed, hence only a short discovery flight which doesn't need TSA approval. I can probably get the TSA thing done in no time, but don't want to jump thru those hoops again. It's a matter of few months anyway, on my way to citizenship

Is there a good or bad time to do a spin training? I am pre-solo and wondering if it makes any difference if I take the training now or later? The school is 3 hrs drive, and there is a nice resturant there, so plenty of reasons to go there and since they teach spin... might as well... thoughts?

No, go get the spin training. It's fun and a potential lifesaver. PPLs used to have to do it a long time ago, now only CFI's have to, but it is well worth the time and money. Use a Diamond if you can. I had mine way back in a Tomahawk...

Back