Spin Training urp

And for that, Rich Stowell is DA MAN!!!

Chip does a damn good job of instructing himself, but you'd have to bring your own airplane to the party these days...

Jay, a closer option is in Milwaukee - I forget the guy's name, but he's got a Pitts and is listed as an instructor on the IAC web site.

Actually, Chip's old plane isn't far from you but I don't think it comes with an instructor these days, and certainly not Chip even if it does. :(

I went back today and got it done.

I decided that I'd shotgun the problem, as we say in electronics repair: I ate a nice bland sandwich with thick bread, munched on crystallized ginger for the hour's drive to the airport in Mankato (since I didn't like the weather forecast for the return flight, I decided flying wasn't a good idea), used Lance's electric wristband, and not only did the maneuvers myself, but the whole flight, takeoff to touchdown.

It was a nice pretty morning. We talked briefly, I put on the electric wristband and adjusted it for a tingle up my palm (I never could get the tingle all the way up my middle finger), we got the airplane preflighted and started (the instructor said that was the easiest he'd ever seen one of the Diamonds start in cold weather ever), and departed. We got clear of the local area and climbed to about 4000 AGL.

I'd decided that I was going to treat it as though I were giving a lesson on spin entry and recovery. As we were climbing, I discussed stalls and spins, and how to avoid spinning in the first place, and what we would do to demonstrate a real spin. One clearing turn later, I pulled the power off and the nose up, then stomped left rudder at the beginning of the stall buffet. No spin, just a steep spiral. I recovered, we turned away from the town we'd flown over during the recovery and climbed back up, and I did it again, talking the whole time. This time, we were getting a strong stall buffet when I did it, and the airplane obediently snapped over and spun. I think I recovered after 1-1/2 turns. The pullout wasn't smooth, as I let up a little in the middle, but I pulled no more than 2 G according to GeeMeter on the iPhone.

I felt fine, so we did another, this time to the right. I recovered more quickly this time, and the airplane seemed just a little more reluctant to enter the spin in the first place. I felt the effects of that one, but not enough to give the controls back. The instructor said he felt I understood what was going on and how to teach it, so we headed back.

I flew a tighter pattern than usual on the return to Mankato. I did manage to slow the slick little Eclipse down pretty well, though, and the landing wasn't exactly a squeaker, but it was a lot better than I was expecting from the rather crappy final I'd flown in a gusty wind. On the taxi back in, I asked the instructor what he thought overall. He said that I definitely understood what was happening, and the explanations I'd given were some of the best he'd ever heard. (Yay!) He said he thought I'd make a fine instructor. I've heard it before, but it still feels nice to have someone knowledgeable say it.

We had a little bit of a fun time coming up with the proper language for the endorsement in my logbook, since the instructor had never done one for CFI-SP before, but that's now in there. I'm happy to have gotten that ticket punched. I now know I can do it, and if I had to do it again, I could, though it might not be much fun. I guess I'm not the aerobatics type.

Heck, Jay, I hope he didn't limit your endorsement in any way. "Instructional proficiency in spins" should be universal.

Jay,

Sorry. You can't be confident entering and recovering from spins if all you do is go through a few spins with a CFII who has only gone through a few spins with his/her CFII.

If you want to understand spins, how they occur in real life and how to recover from them, then find a good aerobatic pilot who teaches spins. What 99% of our CFI's know about spins doesn't begin to cover how they actually develop, how they are accelerated, or how to recover from them. The FAA's spin training requirements for CFI's is, in the most simple terms, a joke.

Learning to enter a spin by hauling back on the yoke and stomping on a rudder falls way, way short of understanding how your student will likely enter a spin. Do yourself a favor and go to an aerobatic pilot who can explain and demonstrate how it really happens, and can show you how to recover when it does.

Can't agree more. Spin training is mandatory in Canada, and they insist on stall-spin "scenarios", the typical entries that result from mistakes pilots make:

-The skidding-turn entry as we'd see turning base-to-final a bit late with too little speed and using too much rudder and top aileron to try to get turned faster without using too much bank. A real eye-opener. You won't do that again in the circuit.

-Departure stall/spins: too steep a climb at full power, maybe with some turn.

-Slow steep turns.

Intersting stuff.

Dan

Well Jay, you got it done, way to go! You didn't mention in your play by play whether or not you were fighting with nausea but I'm guessing it didn't bother you quite a much this time.

Can't agree more. Spin training is mandatory in Canada, and they insist on stall-spin "scenarios", the typical entries that result from mistakes pilots make:

-The skidding-turn entry as we'd see turning base-to-final a bit late with too little speed and using too much rudder and top aileron to try to get turned faster without using too much bank. A real eye-opener. You won't do that again in the circuit.

-Departure stall/spins: too steep a climb at full power, maybe with some turn.

-Slow steep turns.

Intersting stuff.

Dan

Absolutely!

I think earlier I posted my request to my instructor before spin training: "Show me all the ways students will try to kill me and how to recover."

Eye opening, indeed.

Well Jay, you got it done, way to go! You didn't mention in your play by play whether or not you were fighting with nausea but I'm guessing it didn't bother you quite a much this time.
I thought I had. I didn't feel any nausea until after that last spin, and it wasn't bad enough to keep me from flying back to the airport and landing myself. I didn't have to give the airplane to the instructor the entire flight aside from one moment when I dug out the iPhone.

Back