Spend my money, opinions on a new (to me) scooter

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
In April I will be headed to Columbus, MS for pilot training for 1.5ish years. I'd like to do some riding on the weekends when I have time and they're going to pay me to bring a bike if I want to.

My current ride is a '93 VFR and, while beautiful, is a maintenance handful at times. I enjoy sport touring riding. I like comfortably covering distance but still being able to have a fun pace in the curves.

Based upon that region, with the bike knowledge y'all bring to the table, what do you think I should do? I'll probably keep my VFR regardless, but not bring it. Occasionally the GF will be with me so It'd be nice to have a bike that's fun to ride solo but still comfortable for her and be able to put down 3-400 miles without hurting. If it matters I'm about 6'2" 240 and 34" inseam.

If I take the VFR, I'll need to do a fork respring and oil change, new seat, some electric work, rear shock if I can find one, carb cleaning , and a few other things. My uncle has a BMW K1200GT that he let me ride and I really like it. So a used one of those might work. I don't know much about many bikes. I bought my VFR and that's mostly what I know.

From my research it seems like the best options are '10+ Concours, ST1300, or FJR. I'm going to test ride a GL1800 too but I think it's going to be out of my range. I'd prefer something less than $7k but let's say $10k for fun.

Check out a 1200RT, maybe 08 and up. Not too heavy, nimble, adequate power for two up. I've owned one for several years. Loved it. I currently ride a Concours C14. I like the bike, but it's heavy, and top heavy. Riding slow is a chore.

I think I need something a little more touring than that, if it's what I'm finding online.

Also, including the ones I'm already looking at plus the ones you mention, how is the maintenance on them? Any well known electrical issues or rear ends blowing up? I'm not looking to be working on it more than I'm riding. Do any of these have hydraulic lifters instead of shim and bucket?

Finally, what years should I look for considering options, refinements, etc.?

I think I need something a little more touring than that, if it's what I'm finding online.

Also, including the ones I'm already looking at plus the ones you mention, how is the maintenance on them? Any well known electrical issues or rear ends blowing up? I'm not looking to be working on it more than I'm riding. Do any of these have hydraulic lifters instead of shim and bucket?

Finally, what years should I look for considering options, refinements, etc.?

1200RT:

I had a "Hexhead". Maintenance was easy, just engine oil, transmission oil and final drive oil. Valve adjustments are a non issue and generally not needed. They do have a bad reputation for the final drives going out but I put 45K on one with no issues. Electronics can be slightly buggy but not leave you stranded buggy. Despite being air cooled they handle the heat well. Factory cruise control (very nice for long rides.) CHP has decided they were good bikes for miles vs. maintenance, and they thrash their bikes.

Concours:

Routine maintenance like oil changes and final drive fluid changes are easy. Spark plugs, air filter and coolant reservoir access is horrid. Whomever designed the fairings probably designed the Rubik's Cube. No real known fatal flaws although leaking valve cover gaskets can be an issue. Electronics are pretty solid. Better than the RT for sport. RT is better for cruise.

Cant help you with the bike but if you want to go to some local fly ins let me know. I live in Columbus and I maintain the T-6 simulators on base.

Concours all the way for touring. Comfort, good power and great reliability. Like a Goldwing without the old person smell.

If you lean a little more to the sport side of touring, an 02-05 ZZR1200 will eat up the miles and make you forget about your VFR. Insanely fast, stupidly cheap, and dead nuts reliable. It'll spank a FJR or ST1300. I've done 600 mile days on mine loaded with camping gear for OSH.

I love my Concours, but extended trips, I'll take the 1200RT. 300 mile range, cruise, nimble handling at legal speeds, better wind protection, low CG, cruise, I'd rather be on it for the stated mission profile. I used mine for daily 200 mile commutes and wasn't worn down at the end of the day. With the Concours, you have to be at the top of your game, the whole time. Fun but it wears on you on long trips.

I mean if you need to spank someone, the Concours will get it done. It's like a sport bike but better to tour with. I use mine for short range commutes, but if I needed to do 500+ mile days, the RT is a lot more enjoyable.

I ride a VFR800A myself, but some people I've ridden with have rocked FJRs in the canyon twisties. The FJR looks to be very capable bike and a decent compromise between comfort and fun, which seems to fit your criteria.

I'm always a fan of the FZ-1. Light and quick with an upright riding position. Good for day cruises and plenty of side bag add-ons. The FJR is the heavier, long cruise cousin but for ease of local riding I'd take the FZ1. Reliable as the day is long, with plenty of examples with 100K plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VStrom (DL1000). Cheap, reliable, tremendous owner group (stromtroopers).

Well, I'm going to recommend going the other way (i.e. way smaller.) I ride a CSC RX-3 Cyclone. Love the bike. Enough power for highway riding, but not so much that most goes unused. I had a CBR 600, Ducati ST3, Yamaha Vino 125, and a Yamaha T-max prior to this bike. Each of those bikes were fun, but either not well suited for my commute (i.e. hunched over), or it cost a pretty penny for panniers and service. The Yamaha Vino was a lot of fun, but not highway capable, and the Tmax was too heavy and didn't offer enough space under the seat to do any kind of touring.

My RX3 has good power, standard panniers and top case, good fuel mileage, and is a lot of fun (at least in my opinion.) It's a great "hands on" bike in terms of maintenance, and lots of support from the importer.

But, if you're going to go big... I like the R1200GS myself...

I've owned over 20 bikes since 2000 including a C14 Concourse, Honda Valkyrie, BMW R1150GS, & a bought a new FJR1300 in 2005.

I decided I needed another sport touring bike last fall to compliment my Yamaha Super Tenere. I test rode them all looking for a bike my wife would be comfortable on. She is tall with 36" long legs.

After we rode from Goldwings to Harleys to BMW 1600GTs...I bought my second Yamaha FJR1300.

We haven't regretted that decision for a second.

My .2 worth.

I have a 2009 Harley FXSTC. Harley Softail Custom Super nice for one and almost as nice for two. (Perfect for your situation) Do I even have to mention the looks and sound. Really comfortable and sporty ride all in one. It won't light your hair on fire. But what a great ride!! Fast enough that it can scare me. Lol.

CVO Ultra Classic for me on the iron butts. Road King for the run arounds. What can I say, the wife let me get them so that's what I got

I have a neighbor that recently got rid of his GL1500 in favor of a new Victory motorcycle. He really likes it, and he uses it for long daily commutes. A little sedate for my tastes but it looked like a good quality bike.

An FJR wouldn't be a bad suggestion. I know that you are looking at used, but the 2016 models looks pretty good, and it now has a six speed transmission and traction control. I might choose it over a Concours if I were buying today, given it has cruise control. I don't have much experience with them but the ones I have ridden are lighter feeling than a Concours, but the wind protection isn't quite is good (the RT has great wind protection.)

Used wings can be had for the OPs budget, they are sedate compared to the sport tourers. Then again, the Mrs. will like the Wing, a lot. Heavy bikes, but well designed and well balanced, the gas tank is false, the real one is low, keeping the center of gravity low. Dedicated tourers, and that they do well.

I'd suggest one of the naked sport bikes, all the companies have come out with them. I ride a Honda 1000r myself. That said, the Mrs. would definitely NOT like that, what little there is of the back seat looks like it was designed for teenagers or someone with a far smaller ass than any adult I know.

Everybody makes a mid range sport tourer, I doubt you'd go wrong with any of them. I'd get the Kowalski myself, I think the powerplant and chassis is straight off the ZX14. But that's just me.

I'm selling my Goldwing as soon as I can fix it (again). I've come to the conclusion that my motorcycle trip days are for the most part done. I'd rather take the airplane.

2002 FZ-1? I've got one suited for a pilot's budget. :)

In all seriousness you can't go wrong with the bikes on your list but the FJR is a super nice ride.

Don't get a Ducati. Owning a Ducati is like having a gorgeous neurotic nymphomaniac that overspends her credit card and can't keep her mouth shut...

Don't get a Ducati. Owning a Ducati is like having a gorgeous neurotic nymphomaniac that overspends her credit card and can't keep her mouth shut...

Depends on the model, my Multistrada 1200S has been solid.

OP, if you're keeping the VFR, I'd go comfort on the second bike. Also, Columbus isn't exactly the epicenter of twisty roads, so go for a solid used Goldwing. 1800 if you can swing it, but there is no shame in a 1500. I owned a '98 1500[1], rode the ever loving crap[2] out of that bike and loved every minute. (Yes, I also owned a couple of sport bikes at the time, but still)

I have very fond memories of taking that thing to the dragon two up and spanking countless squids who thought they were fast.

[1] Slightly modified to handle better: Race-tech emulators/springs in the forks, Works performance coil overs on the back 1" taller than stock, Galfer brake lines and HH pads all the way around.

[2] Put 25k on it the 1st year I owned it, most of that time at the Dragon, Wayah Rd, Richard Russell raceway, etc.

The problem with Goldwings is that they're a ***** to work on. I can't say much for reliability, as I've never owned one. But, doing maintenance on them is NOT fun. Oil and filter are simple enough, but anything more than that, and you're in for A LOT of work. Changing out the water pump or the stator, for example, requires you to drop the engine (and that comes with its own issues).

If you're going to turn it into a shop for the maintenance, then its not your headache (though, it is your money). But, its something to think about.

Some have recommended harleys or victorys...I'd have to strongly disagree. Partly because I don't like the bike itself, and partly because I think the design is less than intelligent. Having a water cooled engine is something I'd be looking for. Harleys don't have that. Closest they come is an oil cooled head. Also, they've recently just started implementing rubber bushings to mounting points on the frame. So, unless you're going for a bike manufactured in 2012 (or 2013...don't quote me on this) or newer, the engine is mounted directly to the frame, and the vibration is annoying.

Not to mention, loud pipes annoy drivers behind you....they don't warn those inattentive cagers in front of you that you're approaching.

That last one was REALLLLLLLY a personal preference, though.

Any question, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Recent Ducatis are a huge step up in quality over the older Italian Harley's. I really dig the multi strada. Also look at the Tiger for a touring machine.

Listen to bill and spend money on suspension. The best you've ridden is the best you know.

I saw a guy crash a sportbike trying to chase a former pro racer testing an FJR for a magazine at a track day at Fontana. Ever since then I said if I went sport touring it would be one of those.

Cant help you with the bike but if you want to go to some local fly ins let me know. I live in Columbus and I maintain the T-6 simulators on base.

Absolutely.

Do they make a passenger seat for it? How's the range? Looks pretty sporty.

Honda PC800....'nuff said!

How about an ST1100

I'm really trying to get away from carburetion is my only hang up here.

OP, if you're keeping the VFR, I'd go comfort on the second bike. Also, Columbus isn't exactly the epicenter of twisty roads, so go for a solid used Goldwing. 1800 if you can swing it, but there is no shame in a 1500. I owned a '98 1500[1], rode the ever loving crap[2] out of that bike and loved every minute. (Yes, I also owned a couple of sport bikes at the time, but still)

I have very fond memories of taking that thing to the dragon two up and spanking countless squids who thought they were fast.

[1] Slightly modified to handle better: Race-tech emulators/springs in the forks, Works performance coil overs on the back 1" taller than stock, Galfer brake lines and HH pads all the way around.

[2] Put 25k on it the 1st year I owned it, most of that time at the Dragon, Wayah Rd, Richard Russell raceway, etc.

Columbus isn't, but I'll only be there for 1.5 years. Then back to Central Texas with some fun roads. I'm also looking to take it on some trips while I'm there and go visit the Dragon and other good riding roads.

I am on my second Multistrada, had a lot of reliability issues with the first one...Standing on the side of the road in the middle of Misery I swore I would never by an Italian motorcycle again. Then I ended up buying another one. Duc's are without a doubt the girl you know you should stay away from but keep going back to because she's that much fun. I also became a better roadside mechanic.;)

I've also had two Tigers and they are fantastic sport touring machines.

I've owned over 20 bikes since 2000 including a C14 Concourse, Honda Valkyrie, BMW R1150GS, & a bought a new FJR1300 in 2005.

I decided I needed another sport touring bike last fall to compliment my Yamaha Super Tenere. I test rode them all looking for a bike my wife would be comfortable on. She is tall with 36" long legs.

After we rode from Goldwings to Harleys to BMW 1600GTs...I bought my second Yamaha FJR1300.

We haven't regretted that decision for a second.

My .2 worth.

Another vote for the FJR1300...I love mine. One time last year, just for kicks, I hopped on it on a Friday near Detroit, and by Saturday at noon I was in Rapid City South Dakota...I took a picture of the bike and I at Mount Rushmore, then just turned around and rode home.

I went to UPT at CAFB, there's nothing anywhere remotely near there that's good riding (from what I found when I was there).

I recommend just buckling down for this 12-18 months and studying. Take the weekends to water ski on the Tom Bigbee or do a weekend trip to Nola (call me to set up a solid weekend here). I had two sport bikes while I was in UPT and I just didn't ride them very much. Looking back on it, even if I'd had my GSA that I have now I wouldn't have ridden that much.

How do you know you'll be back in central TX? Guard baby?

@EvilEagle what are you talking about? I've lived in columbus for 11 years now and when I was riding the big ride was to sonic for bike night! That's all you need!:D:D

Joking aside there is plenty here and within a short hop. I never rode much because I hate having to dress up to drive on base. But yes it is a culture shock here. I lived in Dallas my whole life so columbus was definitely different.

I grew up in east TN (about 30 mins from 129) so I admit I was spoiled for a long time. It's all relative.

So are you going guard?

I went to UPT at CAFB, there's nothing anywhere remotely near there that's good riding (from what I found when I was there).

I recommend just buckling down for this 12-18 months and studying. Take the weekends to water ski on the Tom Bigbee or do a weekend trip to Nola (call me to set up a solid weekend here). I had two sport bikes while I was in UPT and I just didn't ride them very much. Looking back on it, even if I'd had my GSA that I have now I wouldn't have ridden that much.

How do you know you'll be back in central TX? Guard baby?

I grew up in east TN (about 30 mins from 129) so I admit I was spoiled for a long time. It's all relative.

So are you going guard?

Yes sir, 147RW out of Houston. Flying the RC-26 when I get home.

You are certainly more of an expert on UPT than I am so I will definitely consider your recommendation not to bring a bike. My biggest reason is that since I'll be in the Unaccompanied Quarters, I won't have hardly any household goods to move. The Air Force wants to throw boats and motorcycles into the household goods category so I thought I'd let them help pay for a new one by moving it out there.

There are cool places to ride... Every year Sturgis, MS host a rally that used to be called little Sturgis. That went on for a while until the real Sturgis threw a fit. But every year they still have it and it is a huge rally for MS standards. Its about an hour ride. You can ride the Natchez trace parkway, a coworker rides that every weekend. You can ride the windy back roads up to Huntsville.

Yeah when I PCS'd from Eielson AFB my dirt bike went in household goods. They came and took measurements for it and came back with a crate built for my bike, they did a good job!

@EvilEagle when did you go through UPT here? Ive been in the simulators since the start up of the T-6's here.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with having a bike there necessarily but I know how I am when I have a new toy. Time spent studying that year is worthwhile (not to mention if some cage runs you off the road and you get hurt you wash back and that sucks).

@simtech: I graduated in Sept '01- long before the T-6 showed up, I'm a tweet/T-38A kid.

Back