Speeding Ticket

infotango

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rob!
So I've gotten a 73 in a 55 in upstate NY over last weekend's trip.
Does anybody have any clue how much this is going to cost me? Any suggestions as what to do with the thing, I'd really rather not have to go 150 miles to fight the thing, but if it's expensive enough I guess I could rent a plane and fly up, might make a nice excuse to take a cross country.

I got stopped in OK last week doing 83 in a 75. I got a warning, but the officer told it would have cost $158 - for 8 miles over.

If you do go back, see if you can plea bargain it down to something without points & save on your insurance.

I got a warning here in NE about a year ago for doing 69 in a 65 zone (construction zone). I think I got singled out 'cuz I had NJ plates at the time.

Back in May, I was running 43 in a 25 within Atlanta. The cop didn't care I was showing him a bag full of narcotics I was delivering to a hospice center.

The ticket was going to cost me $196. But, it had been two years since I'd had a ticket. I'd gone through a period where I got quite a few, part of the risk if you're going to be a courier worth a pile of spent lead shot. I wanted three, full years without a ticket so I'd have better luck switching back to a consumer policy in the near future.

I decided to fight it. I kept the paperwork, clearly showing Schedule II narcotics, chief among them... morphine! Fortunately, my drug of choice is still Tums.

First appearance is only an arraignment. I go to court, ask the city attorney to understand the circumstance and allow dismissal. Nope. Too much history. He wasn't a young guy. I have to wonder about an apparent seasoned lawyer who works for the city. Either he gets paid dang good with an easy schedule or he's worthless in the private sector. Sorry, but my questioning for government employees has few boundaries.

It's reset for "trial." I accept a bench trial as I feel confident in my abilities to convince a reasonable judge. Besides, a jury trial would be sent up to state court... things get tougher and more formal there. And, even staff attorneys are no slouches as I've learned. Most judges are pretty picky who they accept on staff. We won't even get into the battle with the county DA's office rather than a slinky city attorney.

While there, I hear the municipal judge's statement of rights in her court. She also explains the fine structure. If you get a $100 fine, there will be additional cost of $58; effectively, a 58% surcharge on all fines. That made some violations pretty dang pricey. But, if you had an FTA, it was a freebie on the additional costs; just a flat $100 and on your MVR record, an FTA for traffic offense. Nice touch for future judges to see! Oh, the "additional cost" are "beyond the court's control."

I wonder who gets all that money? I'm sure the city gets some for the court operation. Either way, it's some pretty dang good revenue. It sure explains why the new city of Sandy Springs has cops down on the interstate. I'm of the opinion city cops should patrol city streets short of an emergency response on the interstate. Leave the interstates to the state patrol, sheriff and county police.

Two weeks later, I show up. I see the same city attorney. The cop is supposed to be there. He's not. "We're trying to reach him now.", the attorney tells me. I sit and watch the judge pass it down to others with various fines. It's amazing how many show up in court without the ability to pay a $200 fine. So, they get put on probation until it's paid... and an extra $30 per month until done so.

Oh, and the judge tacks on "Six months confinement" should you decide to leave the courthouse before stopping at the clerks office to pay the fine. Suddenly, an FTA seems like the least of your problems. The confinement is automatically excused as soon as you pay, presumably moments later a few floors down.

My two hours on the parking meter are nearly up; about twenty minutes to go. Oddly, the commercial permit I paid the city for is not valid at the electronic meters around the city courthouse. Still no cop in my case.

Also, no cop in another guy's case for suspended license and no proof of insurance. He had a suspended license from Kentucky and was stopped in Jawjuh. His license had since been reinstated in Kentucky and he applied for and received a Jawjuh license. He had obtained a new policy paid for a year. Total fines were going to be near $700.

The attorney offered to drop the driving under suspension charge if he plead on the no proof. Sure, go for the one with the long-term hooks. I vaguely recall something like a fourth no-proof charge is automatically a felony. But, to convict on trial, gotta have the issuing officer appear! He wasn't to be found. Nor was mine.

Finally, the judge calls my name. She informs me the charge is summarily dismissed; I'm free to go. Yesss! No charge, no fine... and no record! :D

As I was about to walk on the elevator, the other guy walks out. Both charges were dismissed. I congratulated him on the "win." I then said something to the effect of, "At least you've got your license, I hope things work out. And you've got insurance so keep it in force. There's a reason why I pay $2800 a year for a commercial policy as a courier."

I walk out, get in a hot car and drive off as I see a meter maid roaming for victims and my meter ticket showing under ten minutes left; another city scam as far as I'm concerned.

If you do go back, see if you can plea bargain it down to something without points & save on your insurance.

I got a warning here in NE about a year ago for doing 69 in a 65 zone (construction zone). I think I got singled out 'cuz I had NJ plates at the time.

That's a common practice in NJ and PA. The only thing the towns care about is the money, so they assess the same fine on a lesser infraction with no points.

So I've gotten a 73 in a 55 in upstate NY over last weekend's trip.
Does anybody have any clue how much this is going to cost me? Any suggestions as what to do with the thing, I'd really rather not have to go 150 miles to fight the thing, but if it's expensive enough I guess I could rent a plane and fly up, might make a nice excuse to take a cross country.

I got stopped for 78 in a 55, in Putnam County NY. (A 4 lane terminates into two lane and the limit drops from 65 to 55 and yes, I should have known better.)

I took the time to go to the hearing, and I was flabbergasted that the dinky town court was letting everyone with a reasonable driving history plead to a lesser offense: not wearing a seat belt. Of course they imposed a $150 +/- fine (can you say "municipal revenue'?) but it was a "no points" fine. Yes, I was wearing my seat belt and the cop knew it. I agreed to the plea as the plea does not impact the insurance rates.

If you can afford the time, go to the hearing. It is not a fight, it is a negotiation.

-Skip

Out here they have something called "plea bargain by mail". You can plead to some lesser charge, which is indicated on the ticket, send in your check and be done with it without going to court. I guess they figure people are going to try to plea bargain down anyway and this saves the court time. :dunno:

---- the one I should have been given. Guilty!
I was coming from a concert rehearsal which was 50 miles from home. There it was, midnight+ on U.S. Route #1 and hardly any traffic save the occasional 18 wheeler. A quiet night, and I was trooping along at about 60mph when I passed the coveside Rest Area. Just past there I met one passenger car. Then I wondered why the vehicle pulled into the Rest Area, reversed direction, and overtook me with blue lights flashing. Damn! I don't need this.

The officer approached my vehicle just as I had lowered my window.
"Hey, I know you," he exclaimed. "You did a show with my wife."
"Really! Let me see your name tag," which read "Jason ****. "Oh, sure; Melissa ****, who did the terrific song and dance to 'All That Jazz.' How have you been since the cast party? Why are you here? (Dumb ass question)

"The reason I stopped you is you were doing 60 in a 45. Where have you been?

Rehearsal, in Thomaston, for another show."

"Where are you going?"

"Home; long rehearsal."

"Get out of here; keep the speed down."

. . . Good thing I was doing laundry that night.....................

HR

That's a common practice in NJ and PA. The only thing the towns care about is the money, so they assess the same fine on a lesser infraction with no points.
That's why both Doraville and Sandy Springs have city patrol cars down on I-285... nice revenue source for the city that more than pays for the vehicle and personnel expense.

Of the tickets I've gotten over the last five years, about six in all... Three were paid to a county and two to a city, the sixth recently dismissed per my earlier story. The county tickets were all around $100-150. The city-issued tickets for similar speeds over the limit... in excess of $300.

It seems the municipalities take the state statute seriously regarding fines:
40-6-1 O.C.G.A.

(a) It is unlawful and, unless otherwise declared in this chapter with respect to particular offenses, it is a misdemeanor for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required in this chapter.

(b) Unless a different maximum fine or greater minimum fine is specifically provided in this chapter for a particular violation, the maximum fine which may be imposed as punishment for a first offense of violating any lawful speed limit established by or pursuant to the provisions of Article 9 of this chapter by exceeding a maximum lawful speed limit:

(1) By five miles per hour or less shall be no dollars;

(2) By more than five but not more than ten miles per hour shall not exceed $25.00;

(3) By more than ten but not more than 14 miles per hour shall not exceed $100.00;

(4) By more than 14 but less than 19 miles per hour shall not exceed $125.00;

(5) By 19 or more but less than 24 miles per hour shall not exceed $150.00; or

(6) By 24 or more but less than 34 miles per hour shall not exceed $500.00.
As you can see, the actual fines aren't that bad... but, you can figure in the case of the municipal fines I paid, more than half were surcharges as none of my citations were for more than 20 over the limit.

Oddly, no tickets are issued for the first ten miles over. So, I normally run right at 10-11 miles over the limit. In fact, that is per the recommendation of a county cop! You're more in flow with the traffic speed but not excessive.

Points are another issue...
  • 15-19 MPH: 2 points
  • 19-24 MPH: 3 points
  • 24-34 MPH: 4 points
  • 34 MPH or more: 6 points
That's also where the real costs come in to haunt you come time for policy renewal! :eek:

I got stopped for 78 in a 55, in Putnam County NY. (A 4 lane terminates into two lane and the limit drops from 65 to 55 and yes, I should have known better.)

I took the time to go to the hearing, and I was flabbergasted that the dinky town court was letting everyone with a reasonable driving history plead to a lesser offense: not wearing a seat belt. Of course they imposed a $150 +/- fine (can you say "municipal revenue'?) but it was a "no points" fine. Yes, I was wearing my seat belt and the cop knew it. I agreed to the plea as the plea does not impact the insurance rates.

If you can afford the time, go to the hearing. It is not a fight, it is a negotiation.

-Skip
Sounds pretty similar to my own "run in with the law". Only in my case a 4 lane stayed a four lane, but there just happened to be a 55 mile limit on the section. I should have noticed it.
I've decided really can't travel up to Binghamton since I travel so much and will probably be far out of the state the week the hearing date is.
Hopefully I won't get hit too hard.

One and only speeding ticket I got last winter in Wyoming ... near Lusk - yes, Officer Johnson, I know you live there and I know how many ticket you write - residents of Lusk and Niobrara county sincerely appreciate it.

I got stopped for 80 in a 65 ... yep, fully deserved the ticket but really truely hoped for a little leinency. It was nearly midnight - nobody but me and Officer Johnson on the road for miles and miles ... I was on the phone (Lusk is one of the few spots with cell service between I-25 and Edgemont, SD). I was on the phone - did I mention that? - with my sister, who was standing in the hospital hallway as they were wheeling my dad in for surgery for gall bladder, pancreatitis and severe abdominal infection, but his heart stopped... twice ... as they were moving him. I guess you could say I was a little distracted...

Officer Johnson? Mr. Stone Face? Yeah, have a nice night, drive careful out there and thanks for the ticket and all the understanding...

By the way - dad pulled thru, but I made that trip every weekend for six months ....

One and only speeding ticket I got last winter in Wyoming ... near Lusk - yes, Officer Johnson, I know you live there and I know how many ticket you write - residents of Lusk and Niobrara county sincerely appreciate it.
The only ticket I ever got in Wyoming was on that long stretch of I-80 nothingness between Laramie and Green River. The national speed limit was still 55 at the time. I think I was doing around 75. The trooper had me sitting in the passenger seat of his car as he wrote the ticket. After he has me sign, he says he could accept payment. :eek:

I suddenly get the willies like I'm being set up to bribe an officer. He then shows me some book where if I pay on the spot, I get a break on the fine. If I mail it in, it's higher. It was still an uneasy feeling giving cash to a police officer. It was only around $80 but still... I worried for a while if it was going to come back and bite me.

I'd really rather not have to go 150 miles to fight the thing, but if it's expensive enough I guess I could rent a plane and fly up, might make a nice excuse to take a cross country.

May you get nailed. Count me in :D

Sounds pretty similar to my own "run in with the law". Only in my case a 4 lane stayed a four lane, but there just happened to be a 55 mile limit on the section. I should have noticed it.
I've decided really can't travel up to Binghamton since I travel so much and will probably be far out of the state the week the hearing date is.
Hopefully I won't get hit too hard.
Call the town clerk and ask for a continuance. Being away on business should be a legitimate reason for missing the first date. As a minimum, you are just delaying payment.

-Skip

I got a ticket in IL one time for doing 72 in a 55. I went to court and requested "court supervision"... $130 fine and clean driving for 90 days and the charges get dropped, no points against your license :).

Fight it.

Some strategies available at http://www.motorists.com/

I have a "44 in a 30" in a local town that has been "continued" for several years because the court and police admin costs for the city would be more than the $90 they're trying to collect should I appeal, which I promised to do...btw, I was making a right turn at an intersection when "caught".

Not in Newark, it isn't... they will nail you to the wall. Even if you're white.
This somehow reassures the public that Newark is a "law and order" city, even though two of the streetlights on my block have been out for months and even when they were lit crackheads have been breaking into my car three or four times a week for no apparent reason.
If I need a cop, all I have to do is get in my car and stop for less than 30 seconds at a stop sign... one or two will appear out of nowhere, ticket book in hand, and the other resting on their sidearm. :rolleyes:

And it being NJ, where insurance companies basically walk around on drivers' privates with golf shoes for a living, even a minor "mover" like a "failure to obey signal" at a stop sign will get you a couple hundred bucks a year added to your premium.

Then there's the "less than 50 feet from stop sign" ticket I got after 10 years of parking in the same place outside my building... :mad:

My advice. If it's an offense that will cost you points, hire an attorney who practices in the area to represent you. Unless you have a bad driving history, the attorney will negotiate it down to something with no points, and the fine and attorney will probably cost the same as if you plead guilty to the original offense.

If there are no points at risk, I'd just decide if the chance of saving the fine is worth the hassle of fighting it yourself.

As others have noted, the "civil" justice system used by municipalities for moving violations is really just a revenue scheme, and seeing it in action will just disgust you. So avoid participating if at all possible, and if you must participate, have an attorney do it, and save your sanity.

My advice. If it's an offense that will cost you points, hire an attorney who practices in the area to represent you.

I'll just add: Make sure it's a reputable attorney, and follow up! In years past, I've arrested a lot of people who's attorney told them the ticket was taken care of, only to find out something wasn't completed and a FTA warrant had been issued on the violator. Usually it was something the attorney could correct, but not before his/her client took a ride in handcuffs. I saw it happen most often with a small few attorneys who specialized in traffic tickets. It got to where I could almost tell the driver who his/her attorney was without asking as soon as dispatch told me they had an FTA warrant active. Big billboards promising "Get out of tickets cheap" doesn't mean that's your best option for an attorney to represent you.

I drive the speed limit (actually a couple of MPH UNDER it), come to a COMPLETE stop where required, dont tailgate, wear my seat belts, turn on lights when raining etc.
Funny thing.....I haven't had a moving violation since early '80's.
Sorry, but I offer NO sympathy, dont speed, you wont have to worry about the ramifications !

KD- I hope you remember that when you run into one of the 100 yard long speed traps some of these small towns have. Half way between Beatrice and Princeton, NE there's a little town called Cortland. The speed limit for state route 77 goes from 55 to 35 for only 100 yards- nothing around but farms. They have one speed limit sign that is too easy to miss. I hear what you are saying- I didn't see the cop, but I did see the sign & slowed down so it didn't matter much.

I drive the speed limit (actually a couple of MPH UNDER it), come to a COMPLETE stop where required, dont tailgate, wear my seat belts, turn on lights when raining etc.
Sorry, but I offer NO sympathy, dont speed, you wont have to worry about the ramifications !

All very good, so long as you don't block the left lane on a divided roadway in the process.

I have managed (through *most* of the driving habits you cite above) to stop getting moving violations for anything but speeding. I just cannot drive slowly on rural, divided highways on which the speed limits are set artificially low.

Guess that's why I fly!

One of my actor friends told me about a lady he knew in Connecticut. The gorgeous lady was stopped for speeding. It was a hot summer day, the convertible top was down; and as the trooper approached her vehicle the violator unbuttoned her blouse and shortened her already short skirt.
The display didn't mean squat to the trooper, Melanie Xxxxxxx. Summons served.

HR

I don't know much about speed enforcement law, but I'm convinced it is the devil's work. I got my ONLY speeding ticket on 06.06.06.

It used to be that you could get out of a speeding ticket in California by paying a small fee and going to traffic school, which cost you a bit of coin and a Saturday afternoon. You got out of the fine, the points on your record, the higher insurance, everything. Your record would be expunged thereafter. You were only supposed to be able to do this once a year, but since your record was expunged, you could in practise do it quite frequently. Everybody drove 75mp everywhere (the limit was 55 at the time), and LEOs gave out tickets to whomever they wanted.

Those who say "just drive the speed limit and everything will be cool" don't drive bikes. Nothing more dangerous than unseen traffic closing on your hindquarter at speed. Cagers don't see bikers, period.

Yup. My last moving violation was May 5, 1980. I've been stopped only once since then....for a burned out headlight.

I'll just add: Make sure it's a reputable attorney, and follow up! In years past, I've arrested a lot of people who's attorney told them the ticket was taken care of, only to find out something wasn't completed and a FTA warrant had been issued on the violator. Usually it was something the attorney could correct, but not before his/her client took a ride in handcuffs. I saw it happen most often with a small few attorneys who specialized in traffic tickets. It got to where I could almost tell the driver who his/her attorney was without asking as soon as dispatch told me they had an FTA warrant active. Big billboards promising "Get out of tickets cheap" doesn't mean that's your best option for an attorney to represent you.

Along those same lines, follow up period! There are a considerable number of paid tickets that "get lost in the system." In other words, the DMV never gets the message that you've paid, or it doesn't get entered into the computer correctly, or something along those lines - and then a hold gets placed on your license, and the next time you get pulled over, you get 'cuffed for not having a valid license.

It's one of those things that shouldn't happen, but does. Typos are the big one. So a week or so after you pay it, call the DMV and check to make sure you're not in hot water - could save you some big trouble down the road.

It's one of those things that shouldn't happen, but does. Typos are the big one. So a week or so after you pay it, call the DMV and check to make sure you're not in hot water - could save you some big trouble down the road.

This is true.. and save receipts or any other paperwork you are given showing it was taken care of!

My advice. If it's an offense that will cost you points, hire an attorney who practices in the area to represent you. Unless you have a bad driving history, the attorney will negotiate it down to something with no points, and the fine and attorney will probably cost the same as if you plead guilty to the original offense.

If there are no points at risk, I'd just decide if the chance of saving the fine is worth the hassle of fighting it yourself.

As others have noted, the "civil" justice system used by municipalities for moving violations is really just a revenue scheme, and seeing it in action will just disgust you. So avoid participating if at all possible, and if you must participate, have an attorney do it, and save your sanity.
Good advice. I always hire a lawyer for anything more than mundane. The last time was when I got nailed going back to Oshkosh by the Racine County, WI Illinois driver harvest. I had to find a lawyer who belonged to the Wisconsin bar. She was able to let me plead by mail to a charge that doesn't exist in Illinois. It cost me ~$400 for the lawyer plus the ~$180 revenue grab, but I didn't get a record in Illinois.

At home I know the system. When I showed up for the expired plate sticker in court (late) in the Daley Center, the clerk called me up unsolicited, I showed my receipt to the county DA. "97 Ford. Correct." Charges dropped. Dismissed. "Thank you, Your Honor" and I walked. It took less than 5 minutes.

It used to be that you could get out of a speeding ticket in California by paying a small fee and going to traffic school, which cost you a bit of coin and a Saturday afternoon. You got out of the fine, the points on your record, the higher insurance, everything. Your record would be expunged thereafter. You were only supposed to be able to do this once a year, but since your record was expunged, you could in practise do it quite frequently. Everybody drove 75mp everywhere (the limit was 55 at the time), and LEOs gave out tickets to whomever they wanted.

Those who say "just drive the speed limit and everything will be cool" don't drive bikes. Nothing more dangerous than unseen traffic closing on your hindquarter at speed. Cagers don't see bikers, period.

These days you get to pay the fine, the traffic school fee and spend all day Saturday in class. Some counties allow online traffic school, which I used last time and it only takes 3-4 hours. You can do this every 18 months.

greg

KD- I hope you remember that when you run into one of the 100 yard long speed traps some of these small towns have. Half way between Beatrice and Princeton, NE there's a little town called Cortland. The speed limit for state route 77 goes from 55 to 35 for only 100 yards- nothing around but farms. They have one speed limit sign that is too easy to miss. I hear what you are saying- I didn't see the cop, but I did see the sign & slowed down so it didn't matter much.

Yep. You don't expect that you're supposed to make skid marks when the speed limit comes down.

I hear what you are saying. I guess I have been lucky. I hit the kind of "speed trap" you describe while going to Ocala to visit my sister.

With antilock brakes, there are no skid marks to warn you anymore.

Not on mine. I have Ford with the ABS light on the dash on solid like the flashing 12 on VCRs. I've been told that all of them of that era are like that.

I'll fix it with a piece of black tape if I ever get a round tuit.

Back