Speedboat peeps, some vintage California sweetness?

Ford also built small block DOHC engines that they developed for the 1963 Indy 500. The engines had an aluminum block, displaced 255 CI, and produced 425 HP. Jim Clark finished second in a Lotus powered by the engine, and it dominated Indy racing for almost ten years. In 1972, Ford sold the engine program to Foyt. He sold dozens of the engines to Indy teams over the next ten years, and in 1977 he won the 500 with a destroked version of the engine.

rjllsey_orig.jpg

A guy offered me $15K for the 427 FE, it was bone stock, still standard bore. Those are rare.

Well as of today I'm a boat owner!

Thinking I'm going to get it soda blasted and re gelcoat it myself, any recommends for a blaster in the north north east?

I don't think AJ ever threw anything away. There was a room full of damaged crank shafts. All tagged noting when and where the engine was damaged.

When I did some flying for Bill Elliot he had some crashed parts at his place outside Dawsonville. Had a nice hood I asked about, and was told they auction the parts off for charity. Walked in one area and there must've been 10-15 race engines built sitting on pallets. Man, I only want one...

When I did some flying for Bill Elliot he had some crashed parts at his place outside Dawsonville. Had a nice hood I asked about, and was told they auction the parts off for charity. Walked in one area and there must've been 10-15 race engines built sitting on pallets. Man, I only want one...

Foyt had a huge auction in 1992. He sold just about everything from his thirty years of IndyCar racing. It pulled in $3 million.

Well as of today I'm a boat owner!

Thinking I'm going to get it soda blasted and re gelcoat it myself, any recommends for a blaster in the north north east?

Good deal! Redoing the gel coat isn't that difficult, it just involves a lot of sanding and buffing.

By the way, the gel coat and interior on my boat were original. That tuck and roll job was done in the winter of 1967-68, and it was in almost perfect condition. I was the second owner of the boat, a fireman in Anaheim bought the hull from Howard and rigged it himself.

Foyt had a huge auction in 1992. He sold just about everything from his thirty years of IndyCar racing. It pulled in $3 million.

Like I said, when I was there it looked as if he never threw out a thing. Maybe being a hoarder made a decent pay day for AJ.

Back