Speed Racer

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
For those that grew up in the late 60's and 70's you may remember the cartoon Speed Racer. Well it looks like it is going to be made into a live action movie. Cool can’t wait to see the Mach 5.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/01/film.speedracer.reut/index.html
After years of idling, the big-screen, live-action version of "Speed Racer" is ready to zoom, this time with the creators of "The Matrix" at the wheel.
Brothers Larry and Andy Wachowski are writing and will direct the Warner Bros. movie, their first directorial outing since completing the "Matrix" trilogy in 2003.

These guys are pretty darn good and making comic books look right in the movies. The Matrix was awesome and while the next two installments were very weak scripted their design was incredible. Lets hope they get a good script for this endeavor

That Mach 5 STILL looks hot. They don't cartoon 'em like they used to!

flyersfan31 said:
That Mach 5 STILL looks hot. They don't cartoon 'em like they used to!
There are not a lot of cars that are still upshifting at 240 MPH. ;)

...sometimes while being airborne! :rofl:

I know she was just a toon, but I thought Trixie was kinda' hot. And man, you just knew something cool was gonna' happen when Speed pushed the button labled 'G'.

Trivia: the group, Manhatten Transfer came out with their own rendition of the Speed Racer theme song. Catchy.

The part about Racer X being Speed's arch rival is bogus...everyone knows that Racer X was Speed's big brother and looked out for him more than once in a race.

Never missed an episode...channel 48 UHF...the Wee Willie Weber Show.

Len

P.S. Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer Goooooo!

I hope they do a brilliant job of it. I enjoyed the remake of "Thunderbirds". Now if they just do a great job bringing back "Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons" (like my all time favorite "kid" show) my life will be complete.

Capt Kirk said:
Never missed an episode...channel 48 UHF...the Wee Willie Weber Show.

Yeah, me too. Remember TOBOR the 8th Man??? :)

And Dr. Shock and Bubbles pushing Frank's soda.

Man the world has changed.

Man did I miss out growing up out in the sticks where we got 2 channels - and the good one was snowy at best! My Saturday morning routine was a box of cereal and a pitcher of milk (straight from the cow to the gallon jug, whole milk with as much or little of the 2 inches of cream on the top scooped off as you cared to mess with), and hours of Tom and Jerry, Oggie Doggie, Speedy Gonzales, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, Tennessee Tuxedo and Mr. Wizard, Beanie and Cecil, Bugs Bunny, Road Runner... who is this "Speed Racer" guy?

gkainz said:
who is this "Speed Racer" guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzDcMDhf2o

And if you want to sing along

- Speed Racer
Here he comes
Here comes Speed Racer
He's a demon on wheels
He's a demon and he's gonna be chasin' after someone.

He's gainin' on you so you better look alive.
He's busy revvin' up a powerful Mach 5.

And when the odds are against him
And there's dangerous work to do
You bet your life Speed Racer
Will see it through.

Go Speed Racer
Go Speed Racer
Go Speed Racer, Go!

He's off and flyin' as he guns the car around the track
He's jammin' down the pedal like he's never comin' back
Adventure's waitin' just ahead.

Go Speed Racer
Go Speed Racer
Go Speed Racer, Go!

Tom Slick!
Tom Slick!

In the Thunderbolt Greaseslapper
once he's on your tail
he won't quit
because you know
theres's no such word as "fail"
to Tom Slick!
Tom Slick!

It looks like you
will have to overlook it
because you knew the job
was dangerous when you took it!
Super Chicken!

Last edited:
larrysb said:
Maybe I was a weird kid or perhaps too old for cartoons. I always thought it was dumb and weird and distinctly non-American.

Then again, I was probably the only 11-year old in Georgia that though Jimmy Carter was a boob and shouldn't be elected president.
I remember watching one Speed Racer (when I was an adult) where the problem was something only the Japanese would get. Something like Speed Racer getting into trouble for being proud and not respecting his honorable mechanic/father.

Back