Spectrum mobile and hot spots

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I'm with AT&T mobile now, and other than the fact that I can't stand AT&T, the service is pretty good at home and most places I travel to. Cost for cell service for two Iphones and two Ipads is around $140/month.

With Spectrum I can get unlimited cell service on one iphone for $45 and 1GB/Month on the other for $15. They don't offer cell service for tablets. I am thinking we could use the phones as hot spots for the ipads. These amounts would be plenty of bandwidth for my wife and I. I don't think that would cause us any logistical problems, but I am wondering if there would be much, or any hit on the Ipad performance. I could accept a little performance hit in return for $80/month savings.

Look at RedPocket or Mint Mobile. I use Mint Mobile. 15$/month, 3gb lte data, unlimited at slower speeds after that, and usual unlimited talk and text. Use my Moto G7 android phone as hot spot for tablet frequently and works great. Costs 1/3 as much, with more data, than my previous Verizon plan. Coverage isn't QUITE as good, but it's fine and, between my wife and me, we're saving over $900/yr. That's more than a typical annual for my plane.

Spectrum is just “yet another MVNO” of Verizon.

If VZ is good where you live, it’ll work fine. They program stuff to also use “excess” data from Spectrum owned routers in peoples houses on WiFi just like the nearly identical Comcast Verizon MVNO, if you’re close enough to one.

Typical limits on data, throttled after 20G on the device, 5G on combined hotspot use. And by throttled they usually mean totally unusable speeds.

Always deprioritized behind Verizon post-paid customers which usually doesn’t have any effect but can.

VZ makes the same deal with virtually all of their MVNOs.

Back