Special request

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I had been working on procuring a Super D to fly out from CA to 6Y9. Tonight I rather flippantly asked me mum if she would be interested in accompanying me. Characteristically of her she answered with an enthusiastic, Yes. But she said she'd rather not fly the little plane out there. And I would not subject her to it. So the Decath is out, mom is in.

So, we would metal tube it to Grand Rapids or Flint or something like that. I'll have to look for best destination on the 121 tube. Of course I am open to suggestions of route planning.

Secondly, and most important; is there lodging available close to Sidnaw? Boyos, I need some help in making this happen. This year sounds like it's gonna be one of the best evah. And I would be able to intro me dear mum to some of the scalliwags I call friends.

She is far from frail, but tent camping aint her style much anymore. And she's from Chicago with kin in Flint and she knows the UP quite well from her childhood/teenage years.

EDIT: Correction: I mean Sidnaw. TO say 6Y9 could be perceived as placing undue burden upon our hosts. Hardly is my intent.

Last edited:
Airnav says 273 from Ohare to 6Y9. That may prove the preferred route. By ground transportation...ugh. I have never attended a fly-in by means of driving. Double ugh.

Airnav says 273 from Ohare to 6Y9. That may prove the preferred route. By ground transportation...ugh. I have never attended a fly-in by means of driving. Double ugh.
+100 driving distance. 182 lbs carbon footprint. heh heh

So, we would metal tube it to Grand Rapids or Flint or something like that. I'll have to look for best destination on the 121 tube. Of course I am open to suggestions of route planning.
Your nearest destinations for commercial flights are Marquette MI (KSAW), Ironwood MI or Houghton MI (KCMX), all in the UP. Marquette (airport code MQT) has the most flights and several rental car options. I am not sure if car rentals are available in Houghton or Ironwood. If you want to save money consider Green Bay or Appleton Wisconsin. Grand Rapids and Flint are below the bridge so if you start there expect a long drive.

If you fly into Grand Rapids expect a 7-8 hour drive one way to Sidnaw. If you fly into Flint you might save a 1/2 hour of ground travel. Marquette will be about 1-1/2 of ground travel 1 way. Ironwood, about the same. Houghton, 15 minutes less. Iron Mountain, more than 1-1/2. Green Bay 3+ hours. Chicago, probably 6ish, assuming you don't get parked on I90.

As far as lodging goes you could call the Mini Mart and see if those cabins are still available. Number is on the Sidnaw website.

You can also call Kennedy's Cabins - also on the website. They are just south of town, and I'm sure you can borrow a car to drive the 4 miles out there.

Beyond that, there might be something Bruce Crossing according to Google Maps:

Tulppo's Restaurant & Motel
14967 State Hwy M28, Bruce Crossing, MI 49912
(906) 827-3971 ‎

Last edited:
There may be room in 71G, since Kent won't be able to make it. Only about 2 hours by 182 from Madison, WI.

As far as lodging goes you could call the Mini Mart and see if those cabins are still available. Number is on the Sidnaw website.‎

Bad news - Sidnaw's website appears to be down.

If you fly into Grand Rapids expect a 7-8 hour drive one way to Sidnaw. If you fly into Flint you might save a 1/2 hour of ground travel. Marquette will be about 1-1/2 of ground travel 1 way. Ironwood, about the same. Houghton, 15 minutes less. Iron Mountain, more than 1-1/2. Green Bay 3+ hours. Chicago, probably 6ish, assuming you don't get parked on I90. ‎

That is a BAD assumption to make on Labor Day weekend. Going north from Chicago on Friday or south back to Chicago on Monday, expect a 6-8 hour trip from Madison or Milwaukee back down to Chicago. Not kidding. It'll be 6 more up to Sidnaw from either of those. Don't do it! If you're gonna metal-tube and try for cheap, Milwaukee is probably the best option... But again, that'll leave you with a long drive. Suggest the Marquette route... Or maybe Green Bay or Appleton as a backup. CWA would work too, or even Duluth. All of those except Marquette are still going to leave you with a 3-hour drive, though.

That is a BAD assumption to make on Labor Day weekend. Going north from Chicago on Friday or south back to Chicago on Monday, expect a 6-8 hour trip from Madison or Milwaukee back down to Chicago. Not kidding. It'll be 6 more up to Sidnaw from either of those. Don't do it! If you're gonna metal-tube and try for cheap, Milwaukee is probably the best option... But again, that'll leave you with a long drive. Suggest the Marquette route... Or maybe Green Bay or Appleton as a backup. CWA would work too, or even Duluth. All of those except Marquette are still going to leave you with a 3-hour drive, though.

Well I did say if you don't get parked on I-90. :D I avoid Chicago on the ground like the plague, but with your road experience, I will defer to you on where to be or not to be on the highways during any time of day night or year. :yes:

Well I did say if you don't get parked on I-90. :D I avoid Chicago on the ground like the plague, but with your road experience, I will defer to you on where to be or not to be on the highways during any time of day night or year. :yes:

I avoid Chicago on the ground like the plague too.

One of the worst backups I've ever been in was in Chicago.

At 3 AM.

On a Sunday.

Okay, many more - Er, most - of the worst backups I've been in were in Chicago. But that one took the cake for pure beat-your-head-against-the-wall-are-you-freaking-kidding-me-ness.

But any time you're between Chicago and Wisconsin at the start or end of a holiday weekend is going to be painful. I'd rather be on my way from LA to Vegas on a Friday night.

We used the Milwaukee airport a lot when I had three kids at home as it is usually much less expensive than flying out of Marquette. It is a good airport with minimal delay getting through security. Don't forget about Minneapolis which is about a six and a half hour drive from Sidnaw, not much farther than Milwaukee and with more flights.

I avoid Chicago on the ground like the plague too.

One of the worst backups I've ever been in was in Chicago.

At 3 AM.

On a Sunday.

Okay, many more - Er, most - of the worst backups I've been in were in Chicago. But that one took the cake for pure beat-your-head-against-the-wall-are-you-freaking-kidding-me-ness.

But any time you're between Chicago and Wisconsin at the start or end of a holiday weekend is going to be painful. I'd rather be on my way from LA to Vegas on a Friday night.

The WORST backup I've had was coming into MA from NY?, when we had over an hour backup FOR A TOLLBOOTH! I wanted them to pay me!

Dudes, been to and lived in all those places, and I gotta tell ya, you ain't seen nothing like Jakarta.... In a car, a 4 mile trip to the shopping center will take 4 hrs each direction. Best to have a scooter and have things delivered for what amounts to $1. Scooter has its own issues, but the good thing there is there is no road rage, everybody just makes a little more room. Rather than pay for stoplights, stoplight is an occupation in Jakarta. These guys will stand in major intersections (completely jammed) that it took you an hour to make the last block, you hand them what's 10cents and they walk out in front of your car making space to where you want to go.

I had been working on procuring a Super D to fly out from CA to 6Y9. Tonight I rather flippantly asked me mum if she would be interested in accompanying me. Characteristically of her she answered with an enthusiastic, Yes. But she said she'd rather not fly the little plane out there. And I would not subject her to it. So the Decath is out, mom is in.

Secondly, and most important; is there lodging available close to Sidnaw? Boyos, I need some help in making this happen. This year sounds like it's gonna be one of the best evah. And I would be able to intro me dear mum to some of the scalliwags I call friends.

She is far from frail, but tent camping aint her style much anymore. And she's from Chicago with kin in Flint and she knows the UP quite well from her childhood/teenage years.

EDIT: Correction: I mean Sidnaw. TO say 6Y9 could be perceived as placing undue burden upon our hosts. Hardly is my intent.

You might try Land'O 'Lakes there is a Motel/Hotel 45 mins,there at the airport, Baraga -Best Western 45 mins.,Kenton- Two Rivers Motel 20 mins, Iron River-AmericInn 1 hr.maybe others.

Dudes, been to and lived in all those places, and I gotta tell ya, you ain't seen nothing like Jakarta.... In a car, a 4 mile trip to the shopping center will take 4 hrs each direction.
I 2nd what Henning has said. I was trying to get the airport in Jakarta and it took 2 hours to go one mile. I ended up walking that last couple of miles of the trip to the airport. The traffic sux like no where else I have ever seen.

I 2nd what Henning has said. I was trying to get the airport in Jakarta and it took 2 hours to go one mile. I ended up walking that last couple of miles of the trip to the airport. The traffic sux like no where else I have ever seen.

You learn to appreciate the midnight and 2am departures there....

You learn to appreciate the midnight and 2am departures there....
That was for a midnight departure!!!

I hated that place. I had spent most of the week in Surabaya and that was sucky enough. Jakarata uber sucky! I was so happy to get back to Singapore, land of the clean food and water!!

That was for a midnight departure!!!

I hated that place. I had spent most of the week in Surabaya and that was sucky enough. Jakarata uber sucky! I was so happy to get back to Singapore, land of the clean food and water!!

You people are so worldly. With one exception, and I don't think it counts since when on a cruise ship you "see" another country for about two hours and then are back on your floating city:

1. I have never left the country

2. I have (barely) left California

In fact, 6Y9 may be the farthest I have ever gone away from home.

Scott gets paid to go to all these places.

New Delhi is pretty !@$@#$% bad. That's the worst I've seen. Took us nearly 2 hours to go to work, a whopping 9 miles as the crow flies.

You people are so worldly. With one exception, and I don't think it counts since when on a cruise ship you "see" another country for about two hours and then are back on your floating city:

Well Kim, we have something in common then. Except for Canada I've never left the US either (never been on a cruise), and the farthest I've been from home is... California.

But I've NEVER ridden a motorcycle. :no:

Well Kim, we have something in common then. Except for Canada I've never left the US either (never been on a cruise), and the farthest I've been from home is... California.

But I've NEVER ridden a motorcycle. :no:

We're twins!!!

New Delhi is pretty !@$@#$% bad. That's the worst I've seen. Took us nearly 2 hours to go to work, a whopping 9 miles as the crow flies.

New Delhi is perfectly orderly compared to Jakarta, where lanes and direction of traffic have no meaning. Now if they just put 4 stroke engines in them damned 3 wheeled tuc tuc taxis it would be a lot better when sitting in it. The traffic in Jakarta is the least of what I hate about the place BTW, the worst thing is the filth. Everywhere, every type of filth imaginable, in the water, on the ground and in the air...filth. Such a bloody shame because the people are really great, and it could be such a gorgeous country, but even jungle trecking in the bush, garbage everywhere. The only clean spots I saw in all of Indonesia was a few beaches out in the lower Mentawis and the grounds of the Four Seasons on Bali. That place is freaking great! Just don't leave the property LOL All the good beaches are just littered with plastic and rubbish. Paddle out in the surf through the bags...:( Always getting bags clogged in the raw water inlets.

Yeah, but you think a traffic jam is more than three cars in the lot at Walmart.

I've been in a few Chicago jams but Atlanta hold the "no way I'd ever live here" traffic trophy. Houston, Dallas and LA also come to mind.

OOC, have you considered renting a plane in one of your potential destinations? Might be a workable alternative, just sayin . . .

Before I started flying I really hadn't done much travel around the domestic US. Went to Virginia (from NYC) to see family, went to Florida a handful of times, and college in Indiana. Mom focused on international travel when I was little.

Then I started flying, and I've been to places on this continent that I can't even pronounce, and when I show up with people go "What are you doing here? Even we don't come here, and we live here."

This flying thing is really neat.

OOC, have you considered renting a plane in one of your potential destinations? Might be a workable alternative, just sayin . . .

Since he has more than 100 hours, they might actually rent him one. ;)

You know, that sounds like it should be relatively simple to do. Express tube the long haul then rent GA the last leg. Sadly, everytime I have attempted to do so, it has proven quite difficult and extremely expensive. I flew commercial out to SF and fley my friend and her daughter to SD and back for a weekend. Left Sat morn, return Sun 4pm Palo Alto to Monkey Field.
To rent that 172 for that trip was over $1800 all in. It was a $700 checkout! I was charged dual at $70hr while filling out endless nonsensical paperwork and getting a file set up and membership.... for what was expresly contracted as a one time rental. Every other time in 20 years I checked out in a 172 it cost an hour. I did that because it would save money over flying out in the 310. It did not. I would have save a couple hundred dollars taking the red head...

Problem is trying to get them for a couple of days, that's what blows the deal at most places because most places that rent planes give priority to their students, and if they are booked... well, you can try to buy them out of their slot....

Yes, however my most important concern is adequate and in-close lodging. Information to that end has been provided via PMs. Thank you to all responders.

I recognized at least some of the difficulties when I asked the question, but knowing that many of the forum participants are reasonably well wired into their GA communities in the region, thought it might be worth exploring if he were so inclined. Especially when none of the driving options sounded all that wonderful.

You know, that sounds like it should be relatively simple to do. Express tube the long haul then rent GA the last leg. Sadly, everytime I have attempted to do so, it has proven quite difficult and extremely expensive. I flew commercial out to SF and fley my friend and her daughter to SD and back for a weekend. Left Sat morn, return Sun 4pm Palo Alto to Monkey Field.
To rent that 172 for that trip was over $1800 all in. It was a $700 checkout! I was charged dual at $70hr while filling out endless nonsensical paperwork and getting a file set up and membership.... for what was expresly contracted as a one time rental. Every other time in 20 years I checked out in a 172 it cost an hour. I did that because it would save money over flying out in the 310. It did not. I would have save a couple hundred dollars taking the red head...

Problem is trying to get them for a couple of days, that's what blows the deal at most places because most places that rent planes give priority to their students, and if they are booked... well, you can try to buy them out of their slot....

I recognized at least some of the difficulties when I asked the question, but knowing that many of the forum participants are reasonably well wired into their GA communities in the region, thought it might be worth exploring if he were so inclined. Especially when none of the driving options sounded all that wonderful.

Tell ya what, I was three boards wired, and that was the ONLY plane I could find in the Bay Area that was available except a $260hr G1000 182. Only two planes in the Bay on a weeks notice. The situation for rental is similarly sad all over the country. 20 years ago I could rent a lot more planes.

In Australia FMD, I could rent next to anything because everything was for rent, Navajo 325CR even. Well, fuel here is as bad now as it was there then. We need diesels,bad.... easy biofuel for diesel.

Back