Special Needs Fly-in

Shipoke

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
shipoke
Well i got a Email that says they are cancelling our fly-in. The EAA wont insure it unless we limit the kids to the ages of 8 to 17. We have special needs kids that are older then that so they have to cancel it. Thyed to get Ins. elsewhere but it would cost to much. I'm really going to miss this event. We have been diong it for 16 years and i've been there for 8 of them either a a Pilot or a Vette driver.
I will still do Young Eagle Flights but not as many.
David J Gaiski (Shipoke)

Well i got a Email that says they are cancelling our fly-in. The EAA wont insure it unless we limit the kids to the ages of 8 to 17. We have special needs kids that are older then that so they have to cancel it. Thyed to get Ins. elsewhere but it would cost to much. I'm really going to miss this event. We have been diong it for 16 years and i've been there for 8 of them either a a Pilot or a Vette driver.
I will still do Young Eagle Flights but not as many.
David J Gaiski (Shipoke)

Aw, Dave, that bites.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but was it not at such an event that you had your first GA flight- with a paraplegic pilot in a Cherokee?

YES It was this event, and the pilots name was Jack, He used to fly in from Mich. for our event. This is the reason i got my ticket and bought my plane.

Such a shame, for the kids, the airport, and the pilots. Bob forwarded me the
email too. Legaleeze gets in the way of 16 years of tradition.

Dave aren't there enough special needs kids from 6-17 to do the flyin? I know they also flew the special needs adults but If the chapter can fly just the kids why don't they try to do that? As I recall you guys flew a ton of special needs folks but kids and adults.

That defeats the reason we do it Adam. We started out as Spina-Bifida Fly-in and opened it up to ALL Special Needs people.We feel that that all the Special Needs Kids (of all ages) deserve a GOOD DAY. I just wish we could find someone that would cover the Ins. We can not afford it ourselves as we are all volunteers Dave

Last edited:
Dave its an admirable cause to try to give the gift of flight to special needs folks of all ages, my thinking was If you have got 200 special needs folks and 100 of them are 17 and under why let the EAA's decision deprive those 100 under 17 of the good works of your group.

Has anyone figured out what the additional premium would be to insure the flights for the special needs adults? If the group could get a handle on that number it may be easier to find a sponsor to get the money for the additional premium.

Best of Luck with this I hope for the sake of all those you fly the group and find a way to get it going again.

Well Adam , Someone checked on Ins. and they where told around $10,000 to cover everything for the day (little out of our price range). But we are hoping some Org. will step up

Dave - my daughter and son-in-law are working up a new project that might be able to add some synergy (ok, hated buzz-phrase) to this ... I'll start some inquiries and see what I can turn up.

Thanks Greg
If You wnt to call me ......717-554-8247....7175545360
Dave

I don't quite get this. I have insurance and take up Young Eagles all the time without any other coverage of which I am aware. I take up passengers as well. Why can't a bunch of pilots get together, take up passengers, and be covered by their own insurance? Seems to be what happens at 6Y9.

Well Adam , Someone checked on Ins. and they where told around $10,000 to cover everything for the day (little out of our price range). But we are hoping some Org. will step up

Geez.. With the taxpayer bailout of AIG and then they give out millions in year end bonuses one would think a simple event sponsorship of this cause would go miles in their PR image..... :yesnod:

Merry Christmas guys..

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

HOLY OUCH Dave! 10K that is tough:frown3:

I don't quite get this. I have insurance and take up Young Eagles all the time without any other coverage of which I am aware. I take up passengers as well. Why can't a bunch of pilots get together, take up passengers, and be covered by their own insurance? Seems to be what happens at 6Y9.

They probably could Dave but they wouldn't be covered by the umbrella the EAA's policy would offer and could not bill it as an EAA or young Eagles Event. Also the difference between 6Y9er or Gastons or Wings and Dave's event is that the flights are the purpose of Dave's event and the event and flights are sponsored by Dave's EAA chapter. At 6y9er, Gastons and Wings, the purpose is to get together not to offer rides. Of course folks may offer rides but the rides are soley up to the individual pilot to give and are in not offered or sponsored by the respective airport or event.

At Dave's event you show up to get an airplane ride. At the others you show up to hang out while there you may offer to give someone a ride in the luxe freebird but that ride is offered by you cause your a nice guy and not because the event is sponsoring the ride.

Then a bunch of pilots could get together and offer rides to whomsoever they want. Event back on. Happiness abounds.

Back