Special medical SO certificate

CurtisScholl

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Curtis S
Hi...
I was just talking to a CFI for gyrocopters. He informed me of the possibility of a special medical or exemption for my medical that was denied for heart related issues. What would be the process? I do not want to put a pacemaker in and I only want to do LSA 1200 pound gross or below. And THird class.

Any references for an ME in Michigan would be helpful.

Curtis Scholl

Even if he wasn't denied, he probably couldn't do basic med. Cardiac issues are one of the "big three" things that require an SI first.

The process is to get a good AME to review your medical records and the denial and determine if there's any path to a special issuance and what testing would be required for that. The FAA has a dozen arrhythmia protocols plus more stuff for various other cardiac-related issues (valves, history of ischemia, etc...).

Too little info to make much sense of the question.

If you have cardiac rhythm problems a pacer may be a Godsend. With a pacer that doesn’t include a defibrillator getting an SI is usually pretty simple.

Re: BasicMed. Cardiac rhythm issues aren’t disqualifying. No one-time SI required for pilots that already have a standard FAA medical. Not even for a pacemaker. Moot in this case since the OP would need a medical to qualify for BasicMed.

Re: BasicMed. Cardiac rhythm issues aren’t disqualifying. No one-time SI required for pilots that already have a standard FAA medical. Not even for a pacemaker. Moot in this case since the OP would need a medical to qualify for BasicMed.
True as long as the arrhythmia isn't secondary to an infact or some coronary heart disease that needed treatment. Too little information here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back