Special Issuance with SSRI question

J

Jimmy K

Hello,

I'm hoping to get a special issuance first class medical while on Zoloft. As I'm looking through the requirements on this page: (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants/ ) I'm meeting all but the last item - Multi agent use protocol. Specifically, I used to take Clonazepam initially while Zoloft was taking its time to start working. (Since Zoloft takes a month to start working, as designed.) Once the appropriate dose of Zoloft became effective, I stopped taking Clonazepam.

Does the fact that I was taking Clonazepam while waiting for the Zoloft to gain its effectiveness automatically prevent me from getting the special issuance flight medical? Or can this requirement be waved? I did not actually REQUIRE Clonazepam AND Zoloft after my doctor has determined the appropriate Zoloft dose + one month for Zoloft to kick in. (In other words, Clonazepam was just a temporary buffer for me not to suffer while the doctor was determining the appropriate treatment.)

Do I have a chance, or I shouldn't even bother trying?

Thanks in advance!

Any history of multiple meds at the same time is going to be bleak. It's one of the rule-out conditions that you've better have serious documentation both during and ceasing use and even then it's difficult.

I guess what I'm asking is, are these requirements set in stone and can not be waved under any circumstances, or are they just the guidelines to be used on individual basis?

Since both my psychiatrist and psychologist believe that it is totally acceptable for me to fly... as long as these requirements are not solidly set in stone I should have a reasonable chance for getting it approved.

I hope you have better luck than me. This message board and an AME told me that although I've been stable on an SSRI for 10 years, I couldn't obtain a medical because when I started the SSRI to 10 years ago, my doc put me on a 30 Day supply of alprazolam while the SSRI kicked in. Supposedly that's a lifetime disqualifier since it's two medications.

Light sport is my only option, I've been told.

I hope you have better luck than me. This message board and an AME told me that although I've been stable on an SSRI for 10 years, I couldn't obtain a medical because when I started the SSRI to 10 years ago, my doc put me on a 30 Day supply of alprazolam while the SSRI kicked in. Supposedly that's a lifetime disqualifier since it's two medications.

Light sport is my only option, I've been told.

What a ridiculous ****ed up system.

To the OP, it depends entirely on the intent of the prescriber. If the prescriber was a Primary care, it's pretty hopeless, because they tend not to know (they've had but 3 weeks of psychiatry training) enough to add to the reocrd, observations that would be critical. This one is a "case by case".

to David- did you become a psychiatrist over the past 10 years? It is messed up, but you should see what the agency encounters out there....it would curdle your milk.

Since both my psychiatrist and psychologist believe that it is totally acceptable for me to fly... as long as these requirements are not solidly set in stone I should have a reasonable chance for getting it approved.

The FAA doesn't buy into conclusions that "you are fit to fly." They don't consider even board-certified psychiatrists qualified to make that decision. What they will want is all the supporting examination data.

The decisions are always made by someone far removed from ever examining the applicant.

To the OP, it depends entirely on the intent of the prescriber. If the prescriber was a Primary care, it's pretty hopeless, because they tend not to know (they've had but 3 weeks of psychiatry training) enough to add to the reocrd, observations that would be critical. This one is a "case by case".

to David- did you become a psychiatrist over the past 10 years? It is messed up, but you should see what the agency encounters out there....it would curdle your milk.

Thanks for the response! In my case it was all prescribed by a psychiatrist. Just so that I understand the situation better, what kind of factors would make it ok or not ok to have this history of Clonazepam use? Just hypothetically, I understand that it's all subjective.

Also, forgot to ask, does it make a differentce that I'm already Commerical/Instrument/Multi rated and have been flying for several years in the past?

...does it make a differentce that I'm already Commerical/Instrument/Multi rated and have been flying for several years in the past?
Sadly, I'm pretty sure that the answer to your question is, no. After reading many questions and answers in this forum, it is clear that FAA Medical is only interested in your medical condition.

If you haven't already...to get the correct answers to all of your SSRI medical certificate questions, I highly recommend that you visit Dr. Bruce Chien's webpage, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com, and click on the "How to Start" link at the top of the page. Dr. Chien is one of the doctors who convinced the FAA that it is OK (in certain cases) to issue medical certificates to pilots who are taking (or who have taken) an SSRI. He is an expert on this!

From what I have read in this forum, if you are totally open and honest about your condition with Dr. Bruce, he will be able give you great advice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back