Special Issuance Question

U

Unregistered

So I am looking at having to get a First Class medical via the SI route. When I get my SI letter does it say what my medical condition is on it? Does anyone know if airlines won't hire based on having an SI??

Yes. Your SI letter most definitely names the condition as well as what future documentation and frequency of submission is required to comply with the rules and retain positive medical status.

May we be told what condition you are concerned about?

But your medical certificate will not. In fact, it may not even be apparent that you have an SI looking at your certificate. The statement "not valid for any class after Jan 31, 2015" or along those lines is the hint that you have one.

substance abuse. I have gotten my life together, however, am worried about how it will look at an interview. I am currently awaiting a SI I am currently employed but I will have to have this SI for 5 years.

Not sure if you ever worked for a 121/135 before,

You will have to fill on a PRIA form before you're hired, it will also run a check on the national driving records database, they will also run a criminal check and request your current class of medical and your current airmans cert (what it says on the back of your ticket) along with any violations, accidents or incidents.

I doubt they will care about a SI as long as you hold a 1st class (or whatever they require)

HOWEVER if they find DUIs or drug charges on your background that probably will be a problem.

Best advise be HONEST if anythings is going to come up on the PRIA, so you don't waist everyone's time including your own. If you do BS and they find it on the PRIA, you're f@cked.

I'm guessing if its a issues that requires a SI, it's going to show up on the PRIA...

substance abuse. I have gotten my life together, however, am worried about how it will look at an interview. I am currently awaiting a SI I am currently employed but I will have to have this SI for 5 years.
To put it bluntly, the airlines aren't going to hire anyone with a substance abuse history as long as they can get enough qualified people without such a history. The main reason for is that a second substance abuse event in your life after hiring would make you useless to them for quite some time (during which by union contract they'd have to put and keep you on medical leave), and they don't like that after they've invested a lot of resources in training and qualifying you. In addition, if you have any drug-related convictions as a result of your abuse (not suggesting you do, just advising), you are by TSA security regulations unusable as a pilot in an airline operation for at least 10 years. So, yes, even if you get an SI, it's going to be a big problem getting hired by an airline with that in your records.

Currently employed as a pilot with a Part 121/135 operation? Or within some other industry?

To put it bluntly, the airlines aren't going to hire anyone with a substance abuse history as long as they can get enough qualified people without such a history. The main reason for is that a second substance abuse event in your life after hiring would make you useless to them for quite some time (during which by union contract they'd have to put and keep you on medical leave), and they don't like that after they've invested a lot of resources in training and qualifying you. In addition, if you have any drug-related convictions as a result of your abuse (not suggesting you do, just advising), you are by TSA security regulations unusable as a pilot in an airline operation for at least 10 years. So, yes, even if you get an SI, it's going to be a big problem getting hired by an airline with that in your records.

The main question is will they even be able to know. I will be straight up and admit I made some serious mistakes. I got addicted to pills that I had no prescription for and my life got out of control. I was finally convinced by my family to seek treatment and I completed an inpatient and outpatient program. I have no DUIs(mostly by luck), no convictions, no nothing on the criminal side. I went to the FAA doc and went thru the HIMS program. I have complied with the program and will get a special issuance medical which my doc told me I will be on for 5 years.

Someone answered earlier that the average joe won't even notice you have an SI letter. I currently work for a 121 airline however would like to move up to a larger one. I have filled out applications at all the majors and I don't recall them asking if you have a substance abuse problem. If they don't ask me then I don't think I need to say a word. I have been completely honest with the FAA about my situation. I know for sure the airlines can't look at my medical records and figure as long as they don't ask I should be good to go. There are a lot of substance abusers in the 121 world who are simply too afraid to come forward because of how they treat you.

Someone answered earlier that the average joe won't even notice you have an SI letter. I currently work for a 121 airline however would like to move up to a larger one. I have filled out applications at all the majors and I don't recall them asking if you have a substance abuse problem. If they don't ask me then I don't think I need to say a word. I have been completely honest with the FAA about my situation. I know for sure the airlines can't look at my medical records and figure as long as they don't ask I should be good to go. There are a lot of substance abusers in the 121 world who are simply too afraid to come forward because of how they treat you.
Anyone who looks at your medical will see that you have the restriction "not valid for any class after [insert date]". In fact, it's on the FAA public database. They will not see the letter unless they ask you for it but if they know anything about SIs they will know you have a letter. I would assume that airline interviewers would know this.

Unfortunately it is illegally present in the FAA public database. They, in fact, have no authorization to present that publicly, nor do they allow the pilot to opt out of having any of his information disclosed (other than the mailing address) in violation of federal law.

Before someone gets all "but but but," as mentioned earlier in this thread, the airlines have a non-public access point to look up this information. The publicly accessible database serves no purpose other than violating privacy rights.

The main question is will they even be able to know.
If you mean the FAA, yes. It's a matter of public record, and they can get those records.

Someone answered earlier that the average joe won't even notice you have an SI letter. I currently work for a 121 airline however would like to move up to a larger one. I have filled out applications at all the majors and I don't recall them asking if you have a substance abuse problem.
You are a pilot for a 121 carrier and you've never been asked about substance abuse? I find that difficult to believe, especially since that's one of the questions on the FAA medical application form (18n, to be exact) and a standard question on air carrier employment applications.

If you mean the FAA, yes. It's a matter of public record, and they can get those records.

You are a pilot for a 121 carrier and you've never been asked about substance abuse? I find that difficult to believe, especially since that's one of the questions on the FAA medical application form (18n, to be exact) and a standard question on air carrier employment applications.

Yes the FAA is already well aware of my situation as I am currently waiting for my SI to arrive. I just went through my apps at the majors, while they ask if I have ever had a DUI or failed a drug test they do not ask about medical diagnosis/if I have ever had a substance abuse problem. I was never asked about it at my current airline. I have jumped through all the required FAA hoops. Worst case scenario I will wait til I am off the SI and have a normal medical back then I don't have to worry about it. I am just asking if airlines actually look at your SI letter, it has already been stated that the letter says what my condition is. I will simply wait the 3-5 years and not even worry about it. If they ask I will tell but I certainly won't just volunteer that type of information.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back