Special Issuance for OSA regarding light sport

kell490

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
k490
If I get a SI for having treated sleep apnea am I for ever stuck using the special issuance process and medical exams? Can I get a SI / PPL later decide I don't want to bother with the medicals any longer and get a light sport using a drivers license. From what I reading basic medical is no longer an option once you use the Special Issuance has always a time limit attached.

As long as you keep your SI for the entire term of the Class 3 medical, when it expires you can go Basic Med.

I was under the impression these SI's were time limited once they expire unless you renew your medical is considered revoked or denied different then a laps of medical where someone knew they were going to have a problem with the FAA so they just never re-applied.

That's why I said you have to keep the SI for the term of the third class. The FAA will want some followup information to renew the SI. But as long as you keep doing that, you're good. When the third expires you now qualify for Basic Med - Never revoked or denied.

Language of Sport Pilot rule:
"A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—"
"Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate (if the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn"

Language of Sport Pilot rule:
"A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—"
"Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate (if the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn"

Basic medical will allow me to fly under those rules with the expired SI? One of the perks of Light sport is if want to become a CFI can do that using a drivers licence

Basic medical will allow me to fly under those rules with the expired SI? One of the perks of Light sport is if want to become a CFI can do that using a drivers licence
Basic med is a substitute for a 3rd class medical for certain aircraft and has nothing to do with Sport Pilot rules.

Sport pilot rules allow you to act as PIC in a light sport aircraft with a drivers license instead of a medical (or basic med, or S.I.). see FAA regs 61.301 and following. The catch is that if you applied for a medical and had it suspended, revoked, denied, etc. U B skrewt. If your last medical simply expired from old age, you are good to go assuming you do not "know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner." If you had the sense to never apply for a medical, then the "catch" is irrelevant.

61.401 outlines the rules for flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating. You don't need a medical or commercial certificate.

Last edited:
Once you get a third class special issuance medical certificate, simply let it expire and do the BasicMed.

I let my third class SI medical expire in 2016, primarily because of the expense in maintaining it, and began flying an LSA as a sport pilot using my valid California driver license in lieu of a medical certificate. In May, 2017, I went the BasicMed route so now I can fly bigger airplanes and can fly my LSA at night and without the sport pilot altitude limitations.

Once you get a third class special issuance medical certificate, simply let it expire and do the BasicMed.

I let my third class SI medical expire in 2016, primarily because of the expense in maintaining it, and began flying an LSA as a sport pilot using my valid California driver license in lieu of a medical certificate. In May, 2017, I went the BasicMed route so now I can fly bigger airplanes and can fly my LSA at night and without the sport pilot altitude limitations.

That's the kind of route I'm thinking looking at LSA trikes,kit builds like Kolb, or kitfox since I have never applied or a medical and have been diagnosed with OSA and a few other strange medical problems which aren't listed in any FAA document determine the best route.

I will pass one medical get the SI for my OSA get my PPL after my training is finished I purchase LSA and build hours. Depending on my medical condition I can renew or let it expire and go basic at that time. I can still get LSA CFI if I was ever interested in doing that from what I read LSA trike's are gaining in popularity like the revo and may be a shortage of LSA CFI's.

A) Whatever you do, don't go and apply for a medical until you are sure you can pass.

B) If the plan is to fly an LSA, why bother with the medical at all?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back