Special Issuance Expired

Jeremy Gardner

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
I wanna fly
So I just got my SI last month and believe it or not the damn thing expires this Friday. I called my HIMS doctor in LA and scheduled an appointment with his office. My paperwork says he CAN issue me a special medical if nothing changes with my case. Please please please someone tell me that it doesn't have to go to Oklahoma City because it's now expired!

Wouldn't he be able to answer that over the phone?

Sorry to be blunt, but why do you think we would know more than him?

What is the SI letter date? What expires, the SI itself or your AME medical? Usually an SI includes a new medical certificate and the SI letter includes the date for the next required AME flight physical.

So I just got my SI last month and believe it or not the damn thing expires this Friday. I called my HIMS doctor in LA and scheduled an appointment with his office. My paperwork says he CAN issue me a special medical if nothing changes with my case. Please please please someone tell me that it doesn't have to go to Oklahoma City because it's now expired!

I'm very curious about this.

I'm VERY inexperienced with this, so take my thoughts below with a grain of salt.

I just reviewed a friend's "special issuance" and it's really an "Authorization" for AME-assisted special issuance of his medical certification. The authorization expires in five years, but the medical certificate has to be reissued once a year.

The whole point of the authorization is to let an AME renew his medical certificate year after year, rather than Oklahoma

Ever year, he has to obtain a bunch of "specifically required information" (cardiac stress tests in his case) and show them to an AME or directly to Oklahoma. Every other year, he also has to have a conventional FAA third-cass physical exam.

The first medical certificate says on its face "Not valid for any class after 6/30/2017." The authorization very specifically says the AME, if he concludes there is no significant change, may issue another certificate that says "Not valid for any class after 6/30/2018."

He has enough time to gather the necessary information, presumably in May. However, even if he was a bit jammed like you, it seems to me the AME could reissue the certificate through 6/30/2018 even if he didn't get the "specifically required information" until after 6/30/2017.

Of course, he wouldn't have a valid certificate between 6/30/2017 and when he got it reissued.

Same scenario for you?

What is the SI letter date? What expires, the SI itself or your AME medical? Usually an SI includes a new medical certificate and the SI letter includes the date for the next required AME flight physical.

The examination date on the medical says 3/28/2016. Which was my last exam. It took a year and a half for me to get this.

The letter says in the subject line: Authorization for Special Issuance of an Airman Medical Certification. So based on the language this medical isn't a Special Issuance. Hence why it expires shortly after getting my medical in mid Feb. I think since I have to see my HIMS doctor 2 times a year, they set it up to happen immediately after I was given the medical. That way my doctor can re-evaluate me (because it's been a year) and issue me the SI.

The letter I received with my medical is only authorizing me to get a SI. It's not the SI! Now some of the language later in the letter makes more sense. It says if I meet the requirements, my HIMS AME is authorized to issue me a SI.

I called his office and the receptionist said I had to re-do the MedXpress and bring the confirmation number with me next Tuesday. So what do I take from this? Read everything very carefully and pay attention to dates!

Your medical expiration is dated by your AME visit. You're due. My AME can't issue my SI so I get a new SI letter once a year with my new medical cert but I only have to see an AME every two years. Confused yet? Kidding. Not all SIs are the same. Talk to your doc and learn how to best manage yours.

What did the SI letter say about renewal? Most allow the AME to issue based on whatever positive status update it requires.

Yeah, it sucks you don't get credit for the time served the FAA sits around with their head up their posteriors, but that's the way it is (and always had been. Got cheated out of a few months myself back when I had an erroneous SI).

Your medical expiration is dated by your AME visit. You're due. My AME can't issue my SI so I get a new SI letter once a year with my new medical cert but I only have to see an AME every two years. Confused yet? Kidding. Not all SIs are the same. Talk to your doc and learn how to best manage yours.
My letter says he can issue if nothing changes with my situation.

What did the SI letter say about renewal? Most allow the AME to issue based on whatever positive status update it requires.

Yeah, it sucks you don't get credit for the time served the FAA sits around with their head up their posteriors, but that's the way it is (and always had been. Got cheated out of a few months myself back when I had an erroneous SI).

Yeah, it sucks you don't get credit for the time served the FAA sits around with their head up their posteriors, but that's the way it is (and always had been. Got cheated out of a few months myself back when I had an erroneous SI).[/QUOTE
I'm not sure if what I have is in fact a SI...The language in the letter calls it a medical certificate--which expires on March 31, 2017. The authorization letter requires I MUST comply with this and not change that, and submit this. So based on the language, this is only authorizing my HIMS AME to issue me a SI. My main concern was the the SI would expire and I would have to wait for the FAA to re-send my SI after my HIMS AME signed off on me again. I don't think I even have an SI to lose. I think this is a medical certificate and he will re-issue me a SI medical next week. He again has authorization to do so. I think I'm good. I have missed so many deadlines for the Portland Community College Helicopter program it's ridiculous. I would hate to miss another one this April.

I can't understand much of that. If your medical has a "not valid for...after" date on it, it is an SI. If the letter says you can renew with the AME, he will just issue you a new certificate (and forward any tests/status reports) to the FAA. You'll get another one with a "not valid...after" restriction. Depending on what the SI is for, you may or may get this relaxed after a few cycles.

I can't understand much of that. If your medical has a "not valid for...after" date on it, it is an SI. If the letter says you can renew with the AME, he will just issue you a new certificate (and forward any tests/status reports) to the FAA. You'll get another one with a "not valid...after" restriction. Depending on what the SI is for, you may or may get this relaxed after a few cycles.
Ok cool. This does not have a "not valid for...after" date. The authorization expires in 2022.

I'm very curious about this.

I'm VERY inexperienced with this, so take my thoughts below with a grain of salt.

I just reviewed a friend's "special issuance" and it's really an "Authorization" for AME-assisted special issuance of his medical certification. The authorization expires in five years, but the medical certificate has to be reissued once a year.

The whole point of the authorization is to let an AME renew his medical certificate year after year, rather than Oklahoma

Ever year, he has to obtain a bunch of "specifically required information" (cardiac stress tests in his case) and show them to an AME or directly to Oklahoma. Every other year, he also has to have a conventional FAA third-cass physical exam.

The first medical certificate says on its face "Not valid for any class after 6/30/2017." The authorization very specifically says the AME, if he concludes there is no significant change, may issue another certificate that says "Not valid for any class after 6/30/2018."

He has enough time to gather the necessary information, presumably in May. However, even if he was a bit jammed like you, it seems to me the AME could reissue the certificate through 6/30/2018 even if he didn't get the "specifically required information" until after 6/30/2017.

Of course, he wouldn't have a valid certificate between 6/30/2017 and when he got it reissued.

Same scenario for you?

That's what my SI says.

Ok cool. This does not have a "not valid for...after" date. The authorization expires in 2022.

You medical certificate is your medical certificate that will have an expiration date. The Special Isuance is the letter you got from the FAA. Usually, but not always the letter is good for 5 years. The letter explains what the restrictions and documentation requirements are for your AME to issue you a Medical Certificate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back