Special Issuance Expiration | What does it mean?

MyDimeIsUp

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
‌‌
Hey all,

Hopefully quick question. I did the whole ADHD circus act for the FAA and got my 1st class medical in July/August 2020. Reapplied last year and no problem nor do I anticipate any problems this year. As part of my special issuance, I am required to submit a note from my treating physician regarding any updates to my ADHD, of which there are none because my neuropsychological evaluation basically said the ADHD diagnosis is null and void and I don't receive ANY treatment anymore, along with a note from my CFI regarding my operational flight experience. I don't fly and don't plan to start until about 2 years after graduating college and building funds to not take $45k+ loans out (Around 2028 probably), so I'm basically just keeping my medical active since I already have it. I usually just supply a note saying "I haven't flown yet nor have I started flight training but when I do I'll include that note from my CFI" and its worked fine. I thought I'd start flight training much earlier so that's why I got my medical so early, but things have changed and I now plan around 2028.

Anyway, with those to requirements (note from physician and CFI note), my main question is what does it mean that my Special Issuance expires in 2026? Does that mean I'm not longer in the SI program and can just get my medical like any other pilot out there, or does it mean I have to do the whole neuropsychological training again (which I doubt because the conclusion was that ALL my mental diagnosis were invalid).

Thanks

It means that if you are successful Y/Y, at the end of ‘26 the will let you off the SI….

It means that if you are successful Y/Y, at the end of ‘26 the will let you off the SI….
Gotcha. Unless the FAA twists my arm into having me start flight training early to get a note from the CFI would they still release me from SI without a CFIs note (unless we hit the lottery in which case I'll start flight training right then and there)? I mean to the FAA ADHD is you have it or you don't. Not like ADHD is gonna just pop its head out of the trees and I'm gonna magically have ADHD so I'm guessing after 2026 they would just let me off SI and be like every other non-SI pilot or too early to say with an odd situation like this?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back