Special Issuance Duration

MD11Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MD11Pilot
After 40 years of first class medicals I am now debating as to what class to get with a CPAP SI. There is still a slim possibility that I might do some commercial flying but mainly sitting right seat and jerking gear, so the first class is still on my mind. I am over 40 so even a third class will only be good for 24 months with my ATP but my question is concerning the SI. The SI usually is only effective for 12 months so the medical duration doesn’t really apply so for personal flying and maybe flight instructing, is there any benefit of anything above a third class? Dr. Bruce?

FYI, complying with the OSA SI is easy. Show compliance with therapy, and a doctors note saying you presented bright, alert, no signs of fatigue, and no right heat failure on exam.

If you still need a first for revenue generation, I see no reason why you maintain it with the OSA SI.

Complying is not the “hard” part but for so long my medicals were only good for six months. Just hard to rethink durations now.

The SI for sleep apnea is exactly the same for all classes so it’s more practical IMO to just have a third until you need the first class....

Last edited:
Thanks Dr. Chien
That is what I was thinking also. Just wanted some verification before scheduling.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back