Special Issuance - Change in medication

krock918316

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
I have a special issuance due to Papillary Thyroid Cancer and Hypothyroidism.

I had my quarterly checkup today and my doctor wants to reduce my Synthroid dose from 250mcg/day to 224mcg/day.

Per my SI operation of aircraft is prohibited after a medication change. Who do I report the change to? Just the same address of my yearly SI renewal? Do I need a letter from the Dr?

If they approve will I get a new SI, or just a letter saying the change is ok?

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean that I don't need to report it? Just got my PPL in September. Don't want to do anything to jeopardize it! :)

Report this change, at you next physical. A reduction in thyroid suppressant is NOT an Adverse change. Re-read page 2 of your SI auth letter.

Here's from page 2 of my SI:

You are cautioned to abide by Title 14 of the CFR's, Section 61.53, relating to operations during medical deficiency. Because of your history of papillary thyroid cancer, hypothyroidism, and risk for sleep apnea, operation of aircraft is prohibited at any time new symptoms or adverse changes occur, if you experience side effects or require a change in medication and/or treatment regarding your hypothyroidism, or any time medication and/or treatment is required regarding your papillary thyroid cancer or possible sleep apnea.
The bolded part was my only concern since seemed to call out any change in medication, not just an adverse change.

Darn. You have the new letter, not the old one.
I would report the change. But I would defend an airman of mine who continued to fly in your situation with that trivial of a suppressive change- and actually a favorable change (less medicine required).

Sigh.

Darn. You have the new letter, not the old one.
I would report the change. But I would defend an airman of mine who continued to fly in your situation with that trivial of a suppressive change- and actually a favorable change (less medicine required).

Sigh.

Thanks so much for the reply. You need a digital tip jar installed here!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back