Special Issuance Authorization w/Medical Certificate Received!!!

G

I finally received my Special Issuance Authorization with Medical Certificate! Medical certificate has NVA date of 8/31/2023.

Is this now the time to get Basic Med? Do I need to obtain a new interim medical certificate since this one is almost expired? Or can I just let it expire and continue on Basic Med?

Thanks in advance.

You have two (not mutually exclusive options):

1. Go basic med. Download the medical checklist, take it to your doc, and then do the AOPA or MAYO (I use the Mayo one) course.
2. Take your SI letter and anything it says you need to an AME and he should be able to issue.

There's no "interim." Medicals always run from the date of the original examination no matter how egregiously slow Joklahoma city was. Yeah, it sucks you're only getting a month out of it, but at least you have it and the reissue will be easier.

You have a choice whether to continue or not with the class 3 medical. If it’s not too burdensome you may want to continue it. There are ones that are super easy to comply with (OSA, etc etc). Even the diabetic ones are as well if things are under control. I believe you’ll know whether you are going to pass an ame medical or not. And if you know you might have issue - you can switch to basic med.

Basicmed is certainly easier. But I’m glad I kept my class 3. As it could prove more difficult to reinstate after letting it lapse (or more scrutiny). It also depends on what you plan to fly. If it’s just 172, 182s etc - basic med is generally not an issue. However insurance companies are starting to require class 3 or higher for their policies. I know for a p210 and 421 they both are requiring class 3 or higher (421 wouldn’t qualify for basic med as it’s mgtow is >6k anyhow ) . I don’t know if it’s the pressurization issue or the high performance/complex. But just be aware that this is slowly becoming a requirement once you get to a certain level of airplane

Guest, first of all is this a HIMS special issuance with continous monitoring requirmeents? If so you have to fulfill those requierments in July and August. If not, you can go to basic now and walk away.

If it's an "AME Assisted" SI , or has a paragraph to the effect that "this authorization is valid until August 31, 202X", you can re-enter at any time with the requirements listed for "continiuing renewal" up until 1 year prior to that date.

: )

Guest, first of all is this a HIMS special issuance with continous monitoring requirmeents? If so you have to fulfill those requierments in July and August. If not, you can go to basic now and walk away.

If it's an "AME Assisted" SI , or has a paragraph to the effect that "this authorization is valid until August 31, 202X", you can re-enter at any time with the requirements listed for "continiuing renewal" up until 1 year prior to that date.

: )
Yes it is a HIMS special issuance. I'm aware of the continued compliance in July and August. But can I get Basic Med now with continued compliance through August 31st, then I'm good on Basic Med?

YES YES YES.
Just be sure you won't ever wnat to re-renter. For thosse unsure, you can just keep testing. The attraction of > 6000 lb aircraft and turbines remains always a "siren call", and continued proven abstinence makes re-rentry mcuh mcuh easier.....

YES YES YES.
Just be sure you won't ever wnat to re-renter. For thosse unsure, you can just keep testing. The attraction of > 6000 lb aircraft and turbines remains always a "siren call", and continued proven abstinence makes re-rentry mcuh mcuh easier.....
This was precisely my plan.

So do I have to notify my HIMS AME of my plan not to renew my certificate? Or just comply through the NVA date, then walk away?

Back