Special issuance - alcohol and depression

U

Unregistered

I had some problems with alcohol and depression 10 years ago, been sober since then, and have been off of antidepressants (and have not been under psychiatric care) for the last 6 years.

I've been going back and forth with the FAA for the last 7 months about my 3rd class medical. Just got a letter today asking for more information that I will be unable to provide.
1. They want letters from people who knew me while I was drinking who also know me now. Only problem is, there isn't a single person who knew me that entire time who knew what was going on with my drinking. I've already given them letters from people who know me now and can attest to my abstinence, but I guess that wasn't good enough.
2. They want a statement from my treating psych about my treatment and prognosis. I tried to get one from him a few months ago, but since it had been 6 years, he did not remember me...had no idea who I was, except for what was written in his notes. His office was very uncooperative and would not provide me with a statement. I talked to the Regional Flight Surgeon about this, and he told me that I could take those notes to a different doctor, and have them write a statement. I did this and sent it in, but I guess that wasn't good enough either.

My question is, what happens if I truly cannot provide what the FAA is asking for? Am I pretty much screwed? Alcohol and depression have not even been a tiny factor in my life for the better part of a decade; I just want to prove this to them!

Contact Dr. Bruce Chien through his site, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Be direct, open, and above all honest with him, and see what he says.

My non-physician, non-AME, hunch is that you'll need a HIMS sponsor, which shouldn't be anything more than an expense and an occasional inconvenience (pee in the cup on short notice) if you're sober. Probably a bunch of psych tests, as well.

Good luck!

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back