Speaking of the DC ADIZ

About the only insight I could offer is the semi-obvious observation that the web interfaces to DUATs don't accept a date, so that naturally limits you to a departure time no more than 24 hrs into the future. I don't know if this limitation applies to FSS, as well.

Did you have a reason to file more than 24 hours in advance, or are you just wondering if the number is really small, like an hour, or something?
-harry

Max 24:00, Min :30 using DUATS.

ADIZ and IFR Flight plans pop into the queue 30 min before your filed departure, and time out 2 hours after your filed departure.

How far in advance can I file an ADIZ flight plan?

I generally file 24 hours in advance for flights into the FRZ. These are IFR flights, but I believe the same is true for VFR.

I further understand that you must file at least 2 hours in advance, but I'm guessing they won't hold you tightly to that now.

No need to file 2 hours in advance for ADIZ flights, or for FRZ either for that matter. Unless there's a revised NOTAM that came out in the last 24 hours.

If I need to file an ADIZ operation and it's less than 30 min away, I call FSS, they put it in, and it's ready for Potomac when I call them. Same thing with the FRZ plans, except those you HAVE to file with FSS, no DUATs allowed.

I routinely file ADIZ flight plans for now +15 minutes and I've never had a problem when calling Potomac for my code.

I have filed one with FSS on the radio, switched to Potomac, and had it waiting. Just don't try this for the FRZ.

I have filed one with FSS on the radio, switched to Potomac, and had it waiting. Just don't try this for the FRZ.

Ron (and other DC area pilots),

How long have you waited for a clearance?

Anytime I've flown from Shannon (EZF), it's been at least 15 -- usually 30 before a clearance is issued.

(EZF used to have a GCO but it's OTS Indef)

Once I got in touch with ATC, no delays for ADIZ/FRZ clearances.

IFR releases - longest I had to wait was 1 hour at FDK due to the Prez coming by - special case. Otherwise 15 min is about the longest, usually for conflicting inbound traffic.

If we're talking ADIZ, there's no such thing as a VFR ADIZ clearance. You get your squawk, you squawk your squawk, and away you go. Generally, it's pretty quick. The only problems I've seen have been that on busy days,
  1. Airborne aircraft not already on flight following trying to get an ADIZ squawk in flight have had up to 30 minute delays getting through to a controller to get their squawk. You can get around that by getting flight following early, or getting your return squawk before you leave the ADIZ.
  2. Aircraft on the ground where there's no RCO have had busy signals trying to call Potomac for their squawk. You can get around that by calling half an hour or so before takeoff -- you don't have to wait to the last minute.

If we're talking ADIZ, there's no such thing as a VFR ADIZ clearance. You get your squawk, you squawk your squawk, and away you go. Generally, it's pretty quick. The only problems I've seen have been that on busy days,
  1. Airborne aircraft not already on flight following trying to get an ADIZ squawk in flight have had up to 30 minute delays getting through to a controller to get their squawk. You can get around that by getting flight following early, or getting your return squawk before you leave the ADIZ.
  2. Aircraft on the ground where there's no RCO have had busy signals trying to call Potomac for their squawk. You can get around that by calling half an hour or so before takeoff -- you don't have to wait to the last minute.

Only Clearance I ever call for is IFR.....

Ron (and other DC area pilots),

Anytime I've flown from Shannon (EZF), it's been at least 15 -- usually 30 before a clearance is issued.

(EZF used to have a GCO but it's OTS Indef)

Only Clearance I ever call for is IFR.....

I went down to Tappahannock last Saturday - very nice day weatherwise. Filed ADIZ for both ways before I left (I'm HEF based). No wait at all to get the squawk on the way back in. A couple of other recent VFR experiences were similar.

I'm usually IFR in and out of HEF (the recent trips were recurrent training) & the other ADIZ-area airports. Typically no delay unless there's an inbound (had to wait 10 minutes at FME because the inbound wouldn't cancel for fear of busting the rules) and a short wait at OKV one time (again, inbound aircraft that couldn't cancel due to ceilings).

I went down to Tappahannock last Saturday - very nice day weatherwise. Filed ADIZ for both ways before I left (I'm HEF based). No wait at all to get the squawk on the way back in. A couple of other recent VFR experiences were similar.

I'm usually IFR in and out of HEF (the recent trips were recurrent training) & the other ADIZ-area airports. Typically no delay unless there's an inbound (had to wait 10 minutes at FME because the inbound wouldn't cancel for fear of busting the rules) and a short wait at OKV one time (again, inbound aircraft that couldn't cancel due to ceilings).

Yeah, I've had no delays from FME...

Maybe it's just EZF?

OK since we are on the subject. I am planning a flight from FDK (Frederick) to the Francis Scott Key Bridge and back. On the way back I want to fly over the inner harbor to take some photos. I am planning on filing an ADIZ flight plan because my route of flight will put me right next to the ADIZ. Will they get mad if I DON"T actually enter the ADIZ. Are there any potential reprocussions?
Thanks for the opinions.
Chris

p.s. I know that an ADIZ flight plan does nothing for the Bravo airspace. I will be in an R-22 so Bravo is not an issue.

OK since we are on the subject. I am planning a flight from FDK (Frederick) to the Francis Scott Key Bridge and back. On the way back I want to fly over the inner harbor to take some photos. I am planning on filing an ADIZ flight plan because my route of flight will put me right next to the ADIZ. Will they get mad if I DON"T actually enter the ADIZ. Are there any potential reprocussions?
You can file an ADIZ flight plan, but it will seriously confuse them, because ADIZ flight plans are supposed to be filed from a point outside the ADIZ to a point inside, a point inside to a point outside, or between two points on either side. My suggestion is to call Potomac Approach, tell them what you want to do, and ask their advice on how to do it.
p.s. I know that an ADIZ flight plan does nothing for the Bravo airspace. I will be in an R-22 so Bravo is not an issue.
I'm not sure how you figure that -- the B-space rules apply to all aircraft, not just fixed-wing.

About the only insight I could offer is the semi-obvious observation that the web interfaces to DUATs don't accept a date, so that naturally limits you to a departure time no more than 24 hrs into the future. I don't know if this limitation applies to FSS, as well.

Did you have a reason to file more than 24 hours in advance, or are you just wondering if the number is really small, like an hour, or something?
-harry

The limitations of the web interfaces are the limitations of the DUAT system, i.e. what you can put on the command line request to the mainframe system, so don't blame DUAT or DUATS.

I'm not sure how you figure that -- the B-space rules apply to all aircraft, not just fixed-wing.
Ron,
I am aware that the rules Bravo Space Rules apply to al aircraft, but I also no that I ca fly around Baltimore at a much lower altitude than a fixed wing, legally and safely. I would be staying out of the surface area and below the class B shelf.

I am not too worried about confusing them I just don't want a bust because my GPS and the Chart say I am clear of the ADIZ and their Radar says I am not.
Chris

I am aware that the rules Bravo Space Rules apply to al aircraft, but I also no that I ca fly around Baltimore at a much lower altitude than a fixed wing, legally and safely. I would be staying out of the surface area and below the class B shelf.
Gotcha.
I am not too worried about confusing them I just don't want a bust because my GPS and the Chart say I am clear of the ADIZ and their Radar says I am not.
The way to do that is to call them, coordinate your activities, and stay in contact with them.

Back