Speaking of BFRs - approaching my first - tips on prepping?

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
I'm up for my first BFR in July. What are some good resources for a first-timer to get a grip on what should be expected and how to best prepare?

Greebo said:
I'm up for my first BFR in July. What are some good resources for a first-timer to get a grip on what should be expected and how to best prepare?

I've always either used the Wings Program or flown a checkride for a new rating...

If you've been flying and are current it shouldn't be any big deal. Talk to the instructor who is doing it to see what plans. This should be a learning experience for you, too. And you can't "fail" a BFR (although the instructor doesn't have to sign you off either.)

AC 61-98A -- http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/orl/files/advcir/AC61-98A.TXT

The big areas I hit on flight review for Pvt-ASEL pilots are:

Ground: Logging and currency, flight planning, airworthiness (including ARROW and 91.213(d)) and airspace (B/C/D and especially ADIZ around here)
Flight: Basic air work (mainly steep turns, slow flight, and stalls), basic instrument work (including VOR intercept/tracking), and takeoffs/landings (especially precision touchdown control and crosswinds).

Greebo said:
There is a great little booklet in the 'Flight Bag Series' entitled 'Be Ready for your BFR' which covers in brief all the rules, airspace, flight maneuvers etc which you may be expected to encounter on your BFR. It only costs $8.95 and is available from
http://flight-time.com/BFR.html
There is also one for the IPC. I keep a copy of each in my flight bag and often review it when I get an odd moment. Good for preventing memory decay and keeping things fresh in my mind.
Stephen.

Greebo said:
Chuck -

I had my first one last December. I didn't actually prep at all. For the ground portion, the CFI reviewed air space rules and weather in sort of a ground school kind of give and take. Then we flew for an hour with a couple of stalls, steep turns, and a couple of other maneuvers which I don't remember. No big deal.

I viewed it not as a test but as a learning experience, which it was.

RotaryWingBob said:
Chuck -

I had my first one last December. I didn't actually prep at all. For the ground portion, the CFI reviewed air space rules and weather in sort of a ground school kind of give and take. Then we flew for an hour with a couple of stalls, steep turns, and a couple of other maneuvers which I don't remember. No big deal.

I viewed it not as a test but as a learning experience, which it was.

I've generally prepped by reviewing airspace/visibility limits, whatever hot buttons I've heard about recently (runway incursions/markings the last time), along with a perusal of the latest AIM (something we should all do now and then anyway). My goal is to be able to demonstrate that I already know what I'm supposed to rather than expecting the CFI to "teach" me that stuff. Then he can focus on trying to teach me something useful I'm not required to know.

Pick an area of knowledge or two that you didn't like learning or are otherwise uncomfortable with, and give some extra focus to it. Learn (or relearn) a few more unusual sectional chart symbols while you're at it.

Jeff

Ron posted the AC link (AC61-98A), but you want to pay particular attention to Appendix 1 and especially Appendix 2 (task list). Any CFI worried about covering his/her certificate against the potential "Shaeffer" and subsequent FAA visit will follow the checklist precisely. In addition to the checklist items (especially around here) expect to get grilled on ADIZ operations.

I would add to Ron's list of specific tasks some short & soft field T/O and landings, and x-country planning and navigation (pilotage).

Ron Levy said:
AC 61-98A -- http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/orl/files/advcir/AC61-98A.TXT

The big areas I hit on flight review for Pvt-ASEL pilots are:

Ground: Logging and currency, flight planning, airworthiness (including ARROW and 91.213(d)) and airspace (B/C/D and especially ADIZ around here)
Flight: Basic air work (mainly steep turns, slow flight, and stalls), basic instrument work (including VOR intercept/tracking), and takeoffs/landings (especially precision touchdown control and crosswinds).
And I would add that a convincing performance on the emergency approach to landing is mandatory. Or, no sign off...or we train until it is convincing.

Greebo said:

:dunno: prepare?:confused: One of us must have the wrong impression of what a BFR is about. Basically to me, it's a chance for an instructor to catch me up on the minor rule changes that weren't enough for me to pick up anyway. Then we go fly for an hour, basically do some airwork and some landings, make sure I'm basically safe and in comand of the aircraft, they sign my log book, I pay them money.

Henning said:
I agree with Henning that the instructor needs more preparation than the reviewee, and AC 61-98A talks about how the instructor should go about that.

One of us must have the wrong impression of what a BFR is about. Basically to me, it's a chance for an instructor to catch me up on the minor rule changes that weren't enough for me to pick up anyway. Then we go fly for an hour, basically do some airwork and some landings, make sure I'm basically safe and in comand of the aircraft, they sign my log book, I pay them money.
Regrettably, in this litigation-happy world, a CFI needs to be able to document covering as a minimum all the things "suggested" in AC 61-98A, lest, subsequent to an accident 23 months after the flight review was completed, 12 simple-minded souls find that he failed to meet his duty to be reasonably careful in signing that flight review endorsement because the he missed covering one of those items.

Greebo said:

Well, it's not a pass fail thing. Usually you'll review maps and go over airspace regs. If you're IFR there will be some discussion of filing, and loss of communicationa and reviewing charts and approach plates. If you don't know something just say so and the instructor will go over it. Then in the plane it's usually turns climbs, decents and emwrgency procedures followed by a normal landing.

I've gone as long as 2 years between with no flying and gotten signed off for VFR ops with less than an hour of flying.

Still two months... you can still WINGS it. and who wouldn't like 3 hours with a CFI not to mention a FAA Safety Seminar.
BTW: When did you get your license (mine was 7/26-11 years and a day from solo)?

Bonanza said:
There is a great little booklet in the 'Flight Bag Series' entitled 'Be Ready for your BFR' which covers in brief all the rules, airspace, flight maneuvers etc which you may be expected to encounter on your BFR. It only costs $8.95 and is available from
http://flight-time.com/BFR.html
There is also one for the IPC. I keep a copy of each in my flight bag and often review it when I get an odd moment. Good for preventing memory decay and keeping things fresh in my mind.
Stephen.

Please clarify why I'm supposed to spend $9 on a book to review what I'm about to have to pay an instructor to review with me? Doesn't make fiscal or time management sense. I want the instructor to at least earn some of the money I'm paying them. I want to at least learn something from them. As for flying the plane, you either can or can't, no book is going to help that, and if there is a manuver you don't know or need a little work on, you'll work on it in the air.

lancefisher said:
Then he can focus on trying to teach me something useful I'm not required to know.

Good Luck finding one that can do that, unless maybe the information is where the closest titty bar to each airport is. An instructor with real and useful knowledge is a difficult entity to find.

Henning said:
Please clarify why I'm supposed to spend $9 on a book to review what I'm about to have to pay an instructor to review with me? Doesn't make fiscal or time management sense. I want the instructor to at least earn some of the money I'm paying them. I want to at least learn something from them. As for flying the plane, you either can or can't, no book is going to help that, and if there is a manuver you don't know or need a little work on, you'll work on it in the air.
Henning,
In principle I agree with you and I always try to take my BFR with a seasoned instructor who understands the purpose of the exercise.
For many years I lived abroad and used to take my BFR on occasional visits stateside with whatever school I happened to be close to. I have had more than my share of the 200+ hour young instructor who treated it like a PPL Checkride. I kind of got into the habit of being prepped for whatever I might encounter, get there, suffer the ride, get the sign off and walk away for another two years. These days, living here and having local contacts I can choose the experienced instructor.
Back to the little book, regardless of its use as a BFR prep, it is a very useful tool for brushing up on the things we ought to know but often forget.
Stephen

Back