Spatial Disorientation

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
I received one of those semi interesting e-mails yesterday, and after thinking about it, it just might be a small demonstration of how your brain can convince you something is taking place when in actuality, it isn't.

I think the best demonstration I've ever had of spatial disorientation was at an I-MAX theater, when an aircraft was winding it's way through some mountains. It seemed as if the whole theater was banking with the turns, I could actually feel the weight of my body being pushed into the seat from the G-forces.

This e-mail doesn't do all that, but it does convince your brain of something that isn't. This also demonstrates just how little time is needed to fool your brain.

Anyway, this is the e-mail:

Cenesthetic Hallucination

This is cool. When you're done with the 30 seconds, look at the back of your hand while it is still on the mouse.

Be sure to click on the "click here" box to start the full screen display.

Follow the directions below.

You have just gotta try this!!! Make sure you look at the image for a full 30 seconds before looking at your hand! Have fun!

Okay, this is downright weird. Don't be suspicious, nothing is going to jump out or scream at you. Just follow the instructions. Wait the entire 30 seconds.

1. - Open the link

2. - Then "click me to get trippy",
[toward the bottom]

3. - Look at the center of the screen for 30 seconds, and then..

4. - Look at your hand holding the mouse, without moving it away from the mouse.. NOT BEFORE!

(it is no joke, it is called "cenesthetic hallucination")

http://www.neave.com/strobe/

John

Wow! Haven't seen anything like that since the 70's. But we didn't use computers to get the sensation then... Cool.

Does it work on low IQ people? It didn't do anything for me. Maybe because I didn't do any of that stuff in the sixties.

Doc

Try it after an espresso or two.

Great suggestion! I always look forward to an excuse to drink them.

I used to work in Europe quite alot. The guys I worked with in Milan had an Espresso machine in the office and no other coffee machine. I would get there and be jet lagged pretty bad for about three days and relied on the Espresso machine to get my work done. The guys said that I was the only American they ever saw that could just turn one up and drink it.

Coffee is the only substance I abuse. Acquired the habit while in the Army and have never managed to break it.

Doc

My hand grew! It appeared that my right (mouse) hand was bigger than the left and didn't return to normal until I compared them.

Makes my eyes water, and then streaky weird.

Back